Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Idle stop start question

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
It didn't work :/

I was happy, but then it kept reverting back to fresh air intake [facepalm]

I can live with it, but I did disable the "smart-ventilation" in the Climate Menu, also tried the one below it, something about sucking air when the climate system is off, but neither one helped.
Yikes , jump over to this thread here on the issue, I'm not sure if there is anything different in there but it might help you out.

https://www.kiastinger.org/threads/2743-Stinger-GT2-Climate-is-Off-Set-to-Re-circulation-auto-changes-to-fresh-air

As to the start stop, it is growing on me, I've learned that if I want the engine on to let off the gas a little or slightly press the accelerator without really engaging it and it will start right up. My big thing is I don't want to have to wait to go but I don't mind not sucking the gas down if I'm at a long stop. The Stinger is thirsty!

Good luck!

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Yikes , jump over to this thread here on the issue, I'm not sure if there is anything different in there but it might help you out.

https://www.kiastinger.org/threads/2743-Stinger-GT2-Climate-is-Off-Set-to-Re-circulation-auto-changes-to-fresh-air

As to the start stop, it is growing on me, I've learned that if I want the engine on to let off the gas a little or slightly press the accelerator without really engaging it and it will start right up. My big thing is I don't want to have to wait to go but I don't mind not sucking the gas down if I'm at a long stop. The Stinger is thirsty!

Good luck!
Yeah, I think I jumped the gun a bit responding that it didn't work. I think I must've pressed the auto-switch, then forgot I pressed it when I looked down and saw it was on fresh air again. That's my user error. I just thought since I didn't press the fresh-air button, yet it was lit, that it didn't work.

I think it works, but pressing the auto switch changes it to fresh air... I just got confused.... So yeah, thanks again and sorry for whining before fully knowing what was up! [pray]

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Yeah, I think I jumped the gun a bit responding that it didn't work. I think I must've pressed the auto-switch, then forgot I pressed it when I looked down and saw it was on fresh air again. That's my user error. I just thought since I didn't press the fresh-air button, yet it was lit, that it didn't work.

I think it works, but pressing the auto switch changes it to fresh air... I just got confused.... So yeah, thanks again and sorry for whining before fully knowing what was up! [pray]
No worries as long as it is working for you. This car has so many features compared to my last it has taken me some time to figure all of it out. I'm just glad most of the things can be changed/ turned off for the most part. [driving][driving][driving]

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Congrats on your car, One thing I've noticed about engine shut down button is when its on an you come to a stop, if you're not pushing the brake paddle hard enough the amber letter "A" will come on the dash and the engine will not shut off. I don't care for this feature because here in Arizona its HOT in the summer so when your engine turns off its NOT circulating coolant through the engine so your motor will get to HOT. Plus its hard on your starter.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Congrats on your car, One thing I've noticed about engine shut down button is when its on an you come to a stop, if you're not pushing the brake paddle hard enough the amber letter "A" will come on the dash and the engine will not shut off. I don't care for this feature because here in Arizona its HOT in the summer so when your engine turns off its NOT circulating coolant through the engine so your motor will get to HOT. Plus its hard on your starter.
Yeah I'm with you in the Summer, I just got my car December so right now it's not an issue but once the summer temps get up there I'll probably not be ok with it shutting off the AC with those temperatures.

I'm curious though one of the things I read though in the manual state if the air conditioner is needing to be on that it may not shut off the engine so I'll have to see if this is true. So far I have not noticed much difference with it off as far as air flow and a few times with the radio on loud I didn't even know it was off.

I would hope that with that feature they engineered the car to not wear down the starter with that feature but if it does thank goodness for the long warranty. Most new cars have this feature now I've noticed.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Yeah I'm with you in the Summer, I just got my car December so right now it's not an issue but once the summer temps get up there I'll probably not be ok with it shutting off the AC with those temperatures.

I'm curious though one of the things I read though in the manual state if the air conditioner is needing to be on that it may not shut off the engine so I'll have to see if this is true. So far I have not noticed much difference with it off as far as air flow and a few times with the radio on loud I didn't even know it was off.

I would hope that with that feature they engineered the car to not wear down the starter with that feature but if it does thank goodness for the long warranty. Most new cars have this feature now I've noticed.
You are correct on a few things. The starter is a beefy one that has been cycle tested in their labs over 100,000 times!

As for the air conditioning, it will not shut off if the AC load is heavy. If the AC is running normally then it will only stay off for 30-60 seconds before it will kick the engine back on to recompress the freon.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
You are correct on a few things. The starter is a beefy one that has been cycle tested in their labs over 100,000 times!

As for the air conditioning, it will not shut off if the AC load is heavy. If the AC is running normally then it will only stay off for 30-60 seconds before it will kick the engine back on to recompress the freon.
Thanks [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]R I'm glad they have beefed up that part of it as I expected they would. In AZ even having it off for 60 seconds can make it uncomfortable in the summer. I hope it is tied to the automatic climate control somehow so if I set the temp to 79 for AC and it is like 90 in the car I would hope the engine would keep cranking the AC but if it is close to the temp like 79 or 80 having it off for 60 seconds should hopefully not be as noticeable. So far it is not as annoying as I thought it would be as it starts right up and goes so fast. Certainly when the weather is nice I don't mind at all, this coming summer will be the test for me if it makes any large difference.

Today I was squeezing the fuel out of it, I had 8 miles left to go with fuel light on when I reached the gas station so I was actually disappointed when it didn't shut off when I came to the stop light before the gas station. I also noticed I came up on a freeway exit ramp and the light was red. The car ahead of me stopped and I did behind them the engine shut off. The car made the right hand turn and I crept forward and stopped and I was stuck stopped at the light for a while and the engine didn't shut off that time so I wonder if it does not shut down right away if it was just used recently like is there a reset time for it to start doing it again? I've learned if I don't want it to engage to stop and then lightly release the break so it doesn't trigger if I know the light is changing soon as en example.