Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

How about a radar detector hardwired DIY install?

flycaster

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 C-300, 2013 ATS Lux
Don't have my 2019 GT2 yet (or maybe 2020,) but will in several months. I have my trusty V1 and would like to know if there are any install DIYs out there? Thanks.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Don't have my 2019 GT2 yet (or maybe 2020,) but will in several months. I have my trusty V1 and would like to know if there are any install DIYs out there? Thanks.
I haven't seen any on this forum specifically for the stinger but if all else fails Best Buy does them for $29.99 [wink]

OP
flycaster

flycaster

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 C-300, 2013 ATS Lux
Thread Starter #3
I haven't seen any on this forum specifically for the stinger but if all else fails Best Buy does them for $29.99 [wink]
Didn't know that. Quite cheap, though. However, these types of installs are usually not too difficult and some one should know how???

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
There's a fuse box on the driver side where you can easily use piggyback fuse taps to access power from.

OP
flycaster

flycaster

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 C-300, 2013 ATS Lux
Thread Starter #5
There's a fuse box on the driver side where you can easily use piggyback fuse taps to access power from.
Which fuse to use...want the one that goes on/off with ignition. Also, would you know if I can tap into the overhead? If so, which line? Thanks.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Which fuse to use...want the one that goes on/off with ignition. Also, would you know if I can tap into the overhead? If so, which line? Thanks.
It's much safer to go from the fusebox using fuse taps.

OP
flycaster

flycaster

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 C-300, 2013 ATS Lux
Thread Starter #7
It's much safer to go from the fusebox using fuse taps.

Good stuff, Colereihl...thanks for the pics. You certainly are right about safety in the fuse box. I assume just have to hook into the fuse box and run cable up the A-pillar and across the headliner and then to the V1 clipped to the sunvisor...at least that's the way I've been doing it for my past/present cars.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I assume just have to hook into the fuse box and run cable up the A-pillar and across the headliner and then to the V1 clipped to the sunvisor...at least that's the way I've been doing it for my past/present cars.
That would be the best way, plus you can zip tie any excess wiring within the fuse box.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Do you have the Concealed Display?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I just installed a Dash Cam and I used the Power outlet with the tap shown on this thread and it works perfectly. Just make sure you get the Micro 2 Tap. The rest is just trying to get it to look right and hide wires.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger 2.0T AWD
I just installed a Dash Cam and I used the Power outlet with the tap shown on this thread and it works perfectly. Just make sure you get the Micro 2 Tap. The rest is just trying to get it to look right and hide wires.
Which cam did you get?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Which cam did you get?
I used the one I had in my previous car it is a Mobius Action Cam with 1080P. It's not fancy it has a SD card that you have to take out and view via a computer but it comes on when I start the car and goes off when I stop it and I like that it is small. However I noticed in the Stinger there is not alot of room to hide it behind the rear view mirror as my last car due to all the lane keep assist stuff by the rear view but I ended up putting it next to the mirror on the passenger side and seems to work like it always did. https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2 But I think for the Stinger the smaller the better.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
I used the one I had in my previous car it is a Mobius Action Cam with 1080P. It's not fancy it has a SD card that you have to take out and view via a computer but it comes on when I start the car and goes off when I stop it and I like that it is small. However I noticed in the Stinger there is not alot of room to hide it behind the rear view mirror as my last car due to all the lane keep assist stuff by the rear view but I ended up putting it next to the mirror on the passenger side and seems to work like it always did. https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2 But I think for the Stinger the smaller the better.
Interesting design, can you share some photos on how you mounted that?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Interesting design, can you share some photos on how you mounted that?
These are not the best pictures but I think I just bought a kit that was popular with this model and mounted it with 3M sticky tape, the camera unscrews and you can take it off or just pop the Micro SD card out and put it back without taking out the camera.

I ran the wire up to the top of the window and down the pillar then over and down and under the fuse box tucking it under the little plastic strip.

Passenger will see it but I won't which I mostly drive by myself anyways.

dash cam drivers view.jpg Dash cam Middle view.jpg Dashcam wire to fuse.jpg Dash cam passenger view.jpg

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Great job [MENTION=1495]MMB22[/MENTION], the camera fits nice than I imagined. Hows the video quality?

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Does the E-shifter slot have switched power? Mine doesn't have the E shifter, I assume the slot is empty.

My harness has a different configuration, it has an inline fuse which needs an "open" slot.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Great job @<a href="https://www.kiastinger.org/member.php?u=1495" target="_blank">MMB22</a>, the camera fits nice than I imagined. Hows the video quality?
Thanks, The video quality is good quality 1080p at 60 FPS especially with the wide angle lens it shows the bottom part of the dash and the entire window and out to the sides so you don't have to aim it perfectly as it just needs to be pointed forward.

The software configuration you download allows you to hook the camera up via USB to a computer and you can adjust all the settings like if you want to lower the resolution change the recording segment time. I have mine set at 5 min intervals and it will start recording over the oldest recording when it runs out of space on the SD card. I think I have a 32GB card on it, so it will keep the videos for a while. The night time quality is not as good as the day but if you have headlights on it will still be pretty good but it's only as good as the lighting in the area. But daytime is crystal clear. I'll see if I can upload a video I saved to see if you can see. Hopefully this works here is one with a guy running a red light right in front of cop and the cop didn't do anything and a car turning left almost got t-boned. I edited the video a little but the quality should come across, keep in mind a little quality was lost in the video editing to web upload and to youtube. The raw video comes across a little crisper but this should give you an idea. [video=youtube_share;OKSGVtRMs_A]https://youtu.be/OKSGVtRMs_A[/video]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Does the E-shifter slot have switched power? Mine doesn't have the E shifter, I assume the slot is empty.

My harness has a different configuration, it has an inline fuse which needs an "open" slot.
I would think the parking brake slot would be constant on.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT