Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

How about a radar detector hardwired DIY install?

OP
flycaster

flycaster

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 C-300, 2013 ATS Lux
Thread Starter #21
Well done, MMB22, thanks. As for running the wires from the fuse box, up the A-pillar and across the roof liner, had you run into any problems? Like, was it easy to "stuff" the wires behind the pillar/liner, or did you have to remove anything first in order to hide the wires?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Well done, MMB22, thanks. As for running the wires from the fuse box, up the A-pillar and across the roof liner, had you run into any problems? Like, was it easy to "stuff" the wires behind the pillar/liner, or did you have to remove anything first in order to hide the wires?
It was really easy to run the wire, there is a pretty big space between the top of the window and the roof so it tucks in nicely without any tools across the top, it gets a little tricky at one part of the A-pillar.

As you transition to the A Pillar initially there are not any issues but you can take one of two ways:

A ) You can run it down the far side of the A pillar full length then try to run it back across the dash to the fuse but it looked really tight between the dash and front window.

B) I opted to cross over the A pillar and run it down the pillar closest to the door where there is a connection gap close to the high end of the A pillar. The gap is pretty tight so I just let the black wire run across the crack kind of makes a little track for the wire, where it is not as noticeable and secured it with some clear 3M small wire holders to keep it tight, then ran it back down the pillar. At that point there is a plastic/rubber type seam thing that you can use a flat head screw driver to pry up then run the wire down and it will cover the wire completely.

Then there is a little section at the dash where it is a little awkward to get it in there but I was able to do it then I ran the wire under to the fuse where the hood release is and up and tucked it in. So I didn't have to take anything off. Also the Airbag is not located on the A pillar so you don't need to worry about anything there even if you did want to take off one of the panels on the A pillar to completely hide the wire.

So you could probably hide the wire completely by taking it off and popping it back in but I didn't want to mess with it and I was happy with an Inch or 2 of black wire running with the gap between the Pillar so unless you were looking at it specifically it is not noticeable.

I'll try to post some pictures of that area to show you what I did. It probably is not hard to cover that transition completely but I just did not want to pry anything up just not worth it to me for a little interior aesthetics that only I would notice anyways.

But overall I only needed a flat head screw driver to do it and about 45 min just getting everything in from start to finish. But it is not hard, the biggest thing would be making sure you have a wire long enough to reach so the one I had barely fit that I used from my last car so I had to make sure I had no slack in the wire in order to get the extra inch I needed to fit it comfortably in there.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
[MENTION=1495]MMB22[/MENTION] interested to see how you ran the wires too. TIA

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
[MENTION=1495]MMB22[/MENTION] interested to see how you ran the wires too. TIA
Not the best pics but hopefully you can see what I did.

Top wire entry.jpg Crossing A pillar 1.jpg Crossing A pillar 2.jpg A pillar to Dash.jpg Running under to fuse box.jpg

Baddog817

Reactions
City
Haltom
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Gt1
For those asking about which wires to use to "hardwire" behind the mirror,, here you go. I used a t-type connector instead of what this guy used worked out just the same and cheaper.

Attachments