Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visibility Question
6 Likes

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visibility Question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey folks. I can't say I'm a Stinger owner yet but I am looking at a couple of options and I'm hoping you would be so kind as to offer input.
    I'm considering a used '18 Silky Silver GT1 with red interior (which is really my color preference) or a '19 white GT1, also with red interior. When test driving them the visibility seemed a bit limited out the rear, and somewhat out of the sides as well. The '18 does not have blind spot warning and the '19 does. So I'm wondering how important that feature is, or do you just get used to those spots after driving for a while?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

25 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzones View Post
    Hey folks. I can't say I'm a Stinger owner yet but I am looking at a couple of options and I'm hoping you would be so kind as to offer input.
    I'm considering a used '18 Silky Silver GT1 with red interior (which is really my color preference) or a '19 white GT1, also with red interior. When test driving them the visibility seemed a bit limited out the rear, and somewhat out of the sides as well. The '18 does not have blind spot warning and the '19 does. So I'm wondering how important that feature is, or do you just get used to those spots after driving for a while?

If you think it's a big concern then you should get it. I'm not bothered by rear visibility but I've had friends complain about it when they drive my car.

11 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Rear visibility?
    We don't need no stinkin' rear visibility!
    The throttle is your friend

In all seriousness tho, you get used to it (sort of). I really like the side mirrors. While driving forward, the Blindspot Alert becomes your BFF. Backing up is a cinch with the camera and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Better then...

Moustang
    Slowmero
    Challenger
    Tesla model 3

It's always relative. Heck, my ford exploder has MASSIVE A pillars. I couldn't see cars on my right front side if I was turning left onto a street.

You get used to it.

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mzones View Post

I'm used to limited rear visibility. That's not to say I'm comfortable with it when backing up. The camera and sensors help a lot with that.

I'm in the U.S. and have blind spot warning on my '18 GT2. That said, I learned a long time ago how to set up side mirrors. A simple search on the internet should find it. But basically, properly set, you should be able to see a vehicle in a lane next to the car move from rearview mirror to sideview mirror to window and never have an angle/position when the vehicle is not visible in one of those three places. Too many people adjust their side mirrors so they can see the side of their own car, thinking that's the right way to do it. It seldom ever is.

Good luck with your purchase decision!
    2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT(2) AWD
    2010 Acura TSX
    2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    1995 Mazda Miata

24 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Outward visibility is not an issue in my case. The rear-view camera helps a lot when reversing and attempting to get as close as possible to an object.

Blind spot problem is alleviated with the convex mirror. I'm not one to rely on the blind spot monitoring; my Stinger GT is equipped with such feature but I don't use it. I still use the old-school method.

Staff Team 428 Rep Points robz32's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    If you are not used to having reduced rear visibility I suggest you get the car with the package aid that will make your driving more comfortable and easier.
    In my case I am used to the limited visibility, specially from the rear view mirror, so it was not a deterrent, I did however get the car with all the sensor aids.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast