Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Rattle or Thumping In Read of Car

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
I have a 2018 Stinger with 8,000 miles. I have had the car for about 10 months. After having the car about 4- 5 months, I noticed a thumping/rattle noise coming from the right read of the car. I thought it was the suspension; however, I read about a Service Advisory (SA347) concerning a rear hatch rattle problem. I had it serviced by my local Kia Dealer following the prescribed method. The sound mostly disappeared but then reoccurred and shifted to the direct center rear of the vehicle. The strange thing is, the thumping or rattling only seems to occur when the outside temperature is about 50 degrees or less, which occurs in the mornings here in Tallahassee. When the outside temperature warms up to 60-70 or above, the sound disappears. The Kia dealer technicians think I'm crazy. They have test drove the vehicle 3 times on 3 separate occasions, but each time the temperature has been warm and the noise cannot be duplicated. They think I'm crazy and the technician tells me that he cannot fix the noise unless he is unable to hear the noise. Unfortunately, he cannot be with me each time I drive the car in colder temperatures. So it appears I have to live with the problem. If anyone has experienced this problem and had it resolved, I'd love to hear from you. nealforsman@gmail.com

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I have experienced the same problem, and it is definitely ambient temperature dependent, as you said anything below 50 and bumpy roads will trigger it. I haven't bothered fixing it as we rarely hit those temperatures here, but an educated guess will be trying this fix

[video=youtube;kQf_LAcApK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQf_LAcApK4&t=2s[/video]

OP
N
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #4
Thank you very much for your advice. I guess I'm not going crazy after all!

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I have experienced the same problem, and it is definitely ambient temperature dependent, as you said anything below 50 and bumpy roads will trigger it. I haven't bothered fixing it as we rarely hit those temperatures here, but an educated guess will be trying this fix

[video=youtube;kQf_LAcApK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQf_LAcApK4&t=2s[/video]
This very thing fixed it for me. I'm in Illinois and it was driving me crazy.

It took me 5 minutes, literally. LOL I put ONE washer on each bolt. Tightened them back up. Rattle gone. It's been about a month. I'm happy. LOL