Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Recall SA366

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
So I came back from the dealership today after asking them to check out both my front rotors for warping and the check the tailgate rattle. They did find that the rotors were warped and they will actually be replacing the rotors and pads instead of just turning the rotors [party]One thing I did notice on the paper after I got home was a line item for a "recall SA366". The only thing listed under it says "CK DE D-Audio Logic Improve". Anyone know what it is? Image 1-5-19 at 2.30 PM.jpg

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
This bulletin provides the procedure to improve the logic of the UVO 3.0 (D-Audio) head unit on some 2018MY Stinger (CK) vehicles, produced from May 3, 2018 through June 5, 2018

It's a software update.

OP
CKeeler

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
Thanks MurlinatoR. Apparently they weren?t able to do it today. Hopefully when they do the brakes on Tuesday they?ll be able to do it

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I just got the rear rotors replaced about 12k miles after already having front rotors replaced is this normal? So much for a new car

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
CKeeler

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
For the Stinger, unfortunately it’s a well documented problem

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I just got the rear rotors replaced about 12k miles after already having front rotors replaced is this normal? So much for a new car

This is weird. I don't have a single customer that has had a problem with the rotors warping. Mine are fine as well at 9,200 miles.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Seems to be a common problem for us in warmer climates.

The pads are the culprits here though, as the oem pads will leave deposits on the rotors when they reach a high temperature. This is actually what occurs when we refer to the rotors being "warped".
Brake rotors are designed to withstand extreme temperatures without deforming, pads on the other hand, depending on their composition, are designed to disintegrate or wear the more they are used. That is not to say that rotors will not wear over time, however they wear at a much lower rate than pads.

OP
CKeeler

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #8
I was stoked to find out recently that EBC makes brake pads for the Stinger. Just crossing my fingers they'll release rotors as well

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Seems to be a common problem for us in warmer climates.

The pads are the culprits here though, as the oem pads will leave deposits on the rotors when they reach a high temperature. This is actually what occurs when we refer to the rotors being "warped".
Brake rotors are designed to withstand extreme temperatures without deforming, pads on the other hand, depending on their composition, are designed to disintegrate or wear the more they are used. That is not to say that rotors will not wear over time, however they wear at a much lower rate than pads.
Have you heard that from anyone official? If this were the issue, the rotors could be turned to remove the pad material and pads replaced. It'd sure be cheaper for Kia. I've been assuming the rotors were actually warping. I know that happens when the rotors get very hot and the driver stabs at the brake hard, etc. At least that's the story service managers have been peddling for decades.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Have not heard anything form anyone official at Kia, and frankly I doubt we ever will. However they said they are aware of the problem when I called the VIP line to request they resurface my rotors outside of the 12k mile warranty period (I was at 12890), which they obliged to do.
Also the fact that Car and Driver had to have another Stinger delivered, fitted with more aggressive pads (European spec), in order to finish their testing, as the US spec ended up going off track during their lighting lap; definitely points to a problem with brakes. (see link below)

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23132712/2018-kia-stinger-gt-lightning-lap-2018/

I am now at 22k miles and the car is vibrating like crazy again when apply the brakes. I am currently looking to either go with the Cquence brakes disk or perhaps a two piece Girodisc with EBC pads.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Mine warped 3 months into the car. I told them I would see the again soon;) turned mine but said would replace if happens again.

Kelly Sanders, I would call the dealer and let them know they need to refund your money, that it's a known issue by Kia and should have been covered by Kia.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Chris72 never was charged but they did say brakes are not part of the problem so I don't know anymore... What u suggest?

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
It was explained to my by the KIA technician that called Kia. He said KIA knows they are having problems with the rotors warping, if it happened again to mine KIA would put new rotors on. He also indicated it was the quality of the rotors, not the brakes that were the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
If your not having more issues the dealership will not do anything. It is not normal to have these issues. Others can probably give better numbers by on the car I traded I had almost 60k on it and had not touched the rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk