Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

CTEK Multi US 3300 Battery Charger - Review

Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
As noted elsewhere on this excellent Forum, I suffered a 'fatal' (dead) battery on my new GT, within a few hundred miles of driving it away from the dealership. This was clearly the dealer's fault, and a new battery was installed under warranty.

After studying the new Owner's Manual (can you say, "War & Peace" tome?), it became obvious that this new car is rich with battery-hogging electronic gear ... several items operate in the background, even when the car is turned OFF.

As I purchased my Stinger to be an occasional-use GT car (not a daily driver, but a multi-state highway shredder), the car will sit unused in the garage for several weeks between long-distance cruises. As such, I purchased an 'intelligent' battery charger!

After research, I bought a CTEK Multi US 3300, as it:
* Can be set to charge at a higher rate (14.7 VDC), which is recommended for AGM CA batteries,
* Reconditions batteries each charge cycle (automatic desulphation, bulk, absorption, and pulse charge cycles),
* Very reasonably priced (Amazon - $56).

It comes with both a hard-wire harness and alligator clamps (plug-in), making it versatile and easy to use on different cars. Instructions are clear (more understandable than the KIA Manuals!). The CTEK can also be used with regular wet-cell batteries, ranging from 2 Ah (motorcycle) up to 90 Ah (auto) AGM CA units.

Even with the new installed battery, the first conditioning-charge took ~14 hours to complete. Now, a refresh charge once every two weeks is completed overnight.

I highly recommend this Swedish-manufactured battery charger!

Happy New Year to all [wrenchin]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Great review. Looks very compact too.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Great review. Looks like the ones that come with the McLaren's and Ferrari's

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Great review. Looks like the ones that come with the McLaren's and Ferrari's
I think you're correct.

[MENTION=1775]Jay Tea[/MENTION] does the charger get hot?

OP
Jay Tea
Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #5
It gets warm to the touch, but not hot.

I have the hard-wire harness connected under hood, at the battery-jump / fuse terminals. I leave the charger on the garage cement floor, next to the passenger-side front wheel, about 6" away from the body (in the event the charger shorts out & goes nuclear).

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
As noted elsewhere on this excellent Forum, I suffered a 'fatal' (dead) battery on my new GT, within a few hundred miles of driving it away from the dealership. This was clearly the dealer's fault, and a new battery was installed under warranty.

After studying the new Owner's Manual (can you say, "War & Peace" tome?), it became obvious that this new car is rich with battery-hogging electronic gear ... several items operate in the background, even when the car is turned OFF.

As I purchased my Stinger to be an occasional-use GT car (not a daily driver, but a multi-state highway shredder), the car will sit unused in the garage for several weeks between long-distance cruises. As such, I purchased an 'intelligent' battery charger!

After research, I bought a CTEK Multi US 3300, as it:
* Can be set to charge at a higher rate (14.7 VDC), which is recommended for AGM CA batteries,
* Reconditions batteries each charge cycle (automatic desulphation, bulk, absorption, and pulse charge cycles),
* Very reasonably priced (Amazon - $56).

It comes with both a hard-wire harness and alligator clamps (plug-in), making it versatile and easy to use on different cars. Instructions are clear (more understandable than the KIA Manuals!). The CTEK can also be used with regular wet-cell batteries, ranging from 2 Ah (motorcycle) up to 90 Ah (auto) AGM CA units.

Even with the new installed battery, the first conditioning-charge took ~14 hours to complete. Now, a refresh charge once every two weeks is completed overnight.

I highly recommend this Swedish-manufactured battery charger!

Happy New Year to all [wrenchin]
[MENTION=1775]Jay Tea[/MENTION], here's another tip for you since you won't be using the car on the daily.

All of Kia's cars come with an "accessory switch" to deactivate many of the parasitic draws on the electrical system. This is a yellow switch located in the interior fuse panel by the driver's knee. Flip this switch UP to the OFF position. Your cluster display will now report what the current SOC (State of Charge) is and will keep your battery fresh for the next time you need it!!!

I use this on cars in the showroom that will sit in one spot for months sometimes.

Enjoy!!!

Switch.jpg

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Great tip! [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] wins the Stinger forum today!!

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
[MENTION=1775]Jay Tea[/MENTION], here's another tip for you since you won't be using the car on the daily.

All of Kia's cars come with an "accessory switch" to deactivate many of the parasitic draws on the electrical system. This is a yellow switch located in the interior fuse panel by the driver's knee. Flip this switch UP to the OFF position. Your cluster display will now report what the current SOC (State of Charge) is and will keep your battery fresh for the next time you need it!!!

I use this on cars in the showroom that will sit in one spot for months sometimes.

Enjoy!!!

View attachment 1921
Holy shit that's awesome!

OP
Jay Tea
Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #9
I agree with Kazz!
Thanks for great advice!
Wish you had written the Owner's Manual ...

Reactions
City
Perth
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2021 Kia Stinger GT
I charged my new GT a few days ago with the trusty CTEK MXS 5.0, connected under the hood.

Took about 6 hours to bring it to full charge.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk