Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

AutoSock Tire Traction Device / Chains

Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
Our KIA Owner's Manual recommends this product.
Does anyone have any ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with this type of snow traction device?
Also, if applicable, please report exact details (speeds, snow covering, miles, types of roads, etc).

AutoSock states they are approved by all state DOTs as snow traction devices (chains).

Most western states' DOTs allow AWD vehicles to drive in R-2 conditions without traction devices (chains), if all wheels are fitted with M+S rated tires ... AND if 'chains' are carried inside the vehicle.

I have fitted my GT AWD with wintertime 18" M+S rubber, and do not plan on installing metal tire 'chains' (too much potential body damage when a cross-link breaks). However, to comply with the law, I need to carry 'chains' inside the vehicle!

Plus, if snow conditions deteriorate to R-3, I may actually need to install the AutoSocks? So, I am wondering if these last a few hours or a few hundred miles of slow driving on snowy highways? Or, do they shred within the first few minutes?

Online reviews (amazon, etc) don't fare well for AutoSock, as many reviewers report poor wear experiences. Problem is, you don't know if these folks were driving dry roads, gravel, 80 MPH, off-road, etc. The great reviews are from folks driving up their steep driveways (not exactly a valid test)!

I would rather trust reviews from my Stinger brothers & sisters who have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with AutoSocks, hopefully for miles / hours on snowy highways [driving]

BTW, I tried fitting the individual nylon cable-tie traction devices, but they get caught between the wheels and Brembo calipers, snagging / snapping instantly.

Thanks for sharing your ACTUAL EXPERIENCES with AutoSock [biggrin]

MrMr

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I had to look it up, it's really a neat product. We normally use winter tires up here in Canada.

Install looks like a pain though.
[video=youtube;JWY9fX8PFpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWY9fX8PFpI[/video]

[video=youtube;vTKI2CXdaqA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKI2CXdaqA[/video]

[video=youtube;9hLKY08F9G0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLKY08F9G0[/video]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
can't imagine trying to put those things on in a snowstorm with cars whizzing about

OP
Jay Tea
Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #4
Hey Doc & Mr - Thanks for responses!

I have been driving snow 30+ years in the central Sierras, have always driven 4WD / AWD cars & trucks fitted with dedicated studded winter tires, and admit that installing chains is never pleasant. Have only used chains when off-roading unplowed 2-track 'roads', or when pulling snowmobile trailers ... things I NEVER plan on doing with my new Stinger.

I just received my new AutoSocks today, and "dry-fitted" them on my Stinger, parked inside my garage (to make certain they fit). Wow, MUCH easier than installing chains!

As stated, I never intend on actually using the AutoSocks on my GT, just want to comply with the law when I'm traveling the middle of the night on lonely & snowy MT or WY highways [;)]

I'll post details on this thread if I ever DO end up using them. Happy New Year [cheers]