Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger vs Holden Commodore SS-V

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
[video=youtube;maUSstd_Uko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maUSstd_Uko[/video]

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Another win for the Stinger.[^]

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
I'm curious. When he initiated launch control, you can see the back end squat ever so slightly. Looks like that one is a RWD variant. Very good times for it if it is indeed. The driver may need a lesson with the Commodore. The "American" SS is a 4.7-.9 car all day. Some even hit the advertised 4.5. Weather conditions, DA, operator error are all conditions worth noting.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
"The all-wheel drive Stinger also carries a launch control function, an electric aid to assist drivers in accelerating rapidly from a standing start."

I'll correct myself.. RWD apparently doesn't get the feature. Get a RWD GT and then test the two. Gotta love biased tests [facepalm]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I take it this is in Australia? If my memory serves correctly, Australia isn't getting AWD. I believe this is a rear wheel drive Stinger. So this would be a fair comparison. That being said, I have seen Chevy SS's perform better but this is still a great performance by the Stinger. I'm more impressed by the 12.79 sec 1/4 mile time. Fast indeed!

The Commodore does sound great though...

Last edited:

Chill

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Impressive car indeed, that yellow is toxic though. I prefer more subdued colors lol.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
I take it this is in Australia? If my memory serves correctly, Australia isn't getting AWD. I believe this is a rear wheel drive Stinger. So this would be a fair comparison. That being said, I have seen Chevy SS's perform better but this is still a great performance by the Stinger. I'm more impressed by the 12.79 sec 1/4 mile time. Fast indeed!

The Commodore does sound great though...
I've looked and haven't found anything regarding whether or not the RWD gets launch control. It may be an option on RWD and standard on AWD? Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in. I was thinkiing RWD to begin with until I saw an article which stated said topic.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
I've looked and haven't found anything regarding whether or not the RWD gets launch control. It may be an option on RWD and standard on AWD? Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in. I was thinkiing RWD to begin with until I saw an article which stated said topic.
If you see the Korean videos, RWD will have launch control also.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Full comparison is up:

[video=youtube_share;7SzjTtCnJy8]https://youtu.be/7SzjTtCnJy8[/video]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
It really is too bad that Holden/GM didn't come out with an all new Commodore. I think it would have been a great car. I'd probably still go for the Stinger with its Hatchback, GIANT moon roof and optional AWD but I still would have liked to have seen it. And I would have liked an all new Ford Falcon too. I did like the Chevy SS. It was a lot of performance for the money but the car was 5 years old from the factory. It was a great car but it had the older V8 engine, an older 6 speed auto and a chassis that's been around for quite a while. If Chevy put the direct injected VVT 6.2 V8 and the 8 speed auto in it, I would have bought one but they didn't. So I didn't... Enter the Stinger... Leave it to KIA to build the car I have been looking for, for so long. I can't wait to get one. But if there are dealer mark ups on the price, I can wait.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
It really is too bad that Holden/GM didn't come out with an all new Commodore. I think it would have been a great car. I'd probably still go for the Stinger with its Hatchback, GIANT moon roof and optional AWD but I still would have liked to have seen it. And I would have liked an all new Ford Falcon too. I did like the Chevy SS. It was a lot of performance for the money but the car was 5 years old from the factory. It was a great car but it had the older V8 engine, an older 6 speed auto and a chassis that's been around for quite a while. If Chevy put the direct injected VVT 6.2 V8 and the 8 speed auto in it, I would have bought one but they didn't. So I didn't... Enter the Stinger... Leave it to KIA to build the car I have been looking for, for so long. I can't wait to get one. But if there are dealer mark ups on the price, I can wait.
For me, it's between 4 cars: Stinger, Chevy SS, 300 SRT8 and a Genesis 3.8. The Chevy SS is the main one I want but I have to have the 6 speed. There isn't many left and the prices are right in my budget. However, I haven't driven the Stinger yet so I'll kick myself in the a** if I buy an SS now and like the Stinger when it hits showrooms. The SRT8 is a no brainer and I love the retro-styling and muscle it has. The Genesis treats my luxury side and it is AWD which I need here in South Dakota. With the Stinger and Genesis, I won't need two cars; The SS and SRT8 warrant a winter car. So to say the least, I'm pulling strands of hair out trying to wait patiently until I can drive a Stinger. With all of the car talk, it's hard to curb the desires for the other three but I've made it this far...

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Since the Commodore SS is being discontinued, I wonder if Australia will be using the Stinger as their new police cars.