Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

XForce Catback with Varex Mufflers

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Weld quality is mediocre, it should be ok. The last piece was tack welded.

OP
Gekkie96
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT
Thread Starter #24
Yeah it's not horrible but I feel for the price the fitment should be better. The tack weld is so it can come off easy.

Sorry for the delay on the video. I'm trying to have my friend do the filming since he has a professional cam and mic. I can do a cell phone video but I figure the quality won't do you guys any justice.

basysmith

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Has anyone integrated one into the infotainment system instead of using a switch?

BC_Doc

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
Has anyone integrated one into the infotainment system instead of using a switch?
Hardwire switch is the best and warrantee-friendly way to go. Have no idea how you would even start to wire this into the infotainment system.

51538687_823926787999429_307056686688894976_n.jpg

51737868_1223431574481270_9021650625691123712_n.jpg

51795606_249407772658111_7409375367980384256_n.jpg

basysmith

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Hardwire switch is the best and warrantee-friendly way to go. Have no idea how you would even start to wire this into the infotainment system.
Kia Aus do it somehow.. it's obviously not a global thing so they've worked it out. I believe they have the take the dash out though and tap into some harness. I'll keep digging but for now I have the remotes working my Varex.

Did you have any fitment issues with your exhaust? Rubbing on the propshaft etc?

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
In GM K2-generation pickup trucks, there is such a thing as upfitting. It's basically adding an OEM switch (soft switch) and an OEM relay placed in certain port in the fuse box. The switch controls the relay through the canbus. This requires a good knowledge of the canbus structure. I wonder if that's roughly what KIA AUS did.

Does the OEM bi-modal exhaust come with a nifty OEM-looking switch?

EMAW817

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
If we want to use the app with this system, do we have to purchase the smart box control module separately?

BC_Doc

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
Kia Aus do it somehow.. it's obviously not a global thing so they've worked it out. I believe they have the take the dash out though and tap into some harness. I'll keep digging but for now I have the remotes working my Varex.

Did you have any fitment issues with your exhaust? Rubbing on the propshaft etc?
Yeah I did actually have a little bit of rubbing. Heard it one day whilst pushing the car hard (metal on metal banging). Brought it back to the good dude that installed it for me, found a small point of contact between the propshaft and the midpipe (just before the pipe divides into 2. Fixed it easily by pushing the entire system a few mm fowards.

basysmith

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Yeah I did actually have a little bit of rubbing. Heard it one day whilst pushing the car hard (metal on metal banging). Brought it back to the good dude that installed it for me, found a small point of contact between the propshaft and the midpipe (just before the pipe divides into 2. Fixed it easily by pushing the entire system a few mm fowards.
Yeah me too. I got back under the car and cut that brace completely off. Took me a while because of the space restriction but no rubbing or wearing down the prop shaft now. The complete varex system isn't the best fit to be honest.

basysmith

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
If we want to use the app with this system, do we have to purchase the smart box control module separately?
Yes. It's like an extra $500 and works by plugging into the obd port. Might be worth it if I can't find out how to integrate it like Kia Australia have figured it out.

basysmith

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
In GM K2-generation pickup trucks, there is such a thing as upfitting. It's basically adding an OEM switch (soft switch) and an OEM relay placed in certain port in the fuse box. The switch controls the relay through the canbus. This requires a good knowledge of the canbus structure. I wonder if that's roughly what KIA AUS did.

Does the OEM bi-modal exhaust come with a nifty OEM-looking switch?
No, they fully integrate it into the infotainment system and it opens up at about 70%. So for example, you have to switch to sport mode and then get the revs up 70% redline and the valves open automatically.

So it sounds very similar to the additional varex module that does the same thing.. except it's not integrated into the cars driving mode options. That's the part I'd like to figure out. What wire goes active or triggers when sport mode is activated. I could then make something to intercept that signal and then send 12v down to open the varex valves.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Did you mean 70% throttle?