Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Do you use the UVO app? I do. Maybe that's what's needed?
    I do, but not a lot. I'll have to check tonight then.

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CKeeler View Post
    I do, but not a lot. I'll have to check tonight then.
    The US cars don't connect like the Canadian and other regions do from what I understand. Something about kia US doesn't want to pay for the constant LTE connection required to maintain it the way all the other territories do. In Canada and other places, they can use the UVO app to do all kinds of stuff like remote start and setting climate control and locking and unlocking doors and even software updates. US cars don't have that functionality. I believe we'd have to take our cars to the dealership for any software updates.

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AMDman18 View Post
    The US cars don't connect like the Canadian and other regions do from what I understand. Something about kia US doesn't want to pay for the constant LTE connection required to maintain it the way all the other territories do. In Canada and other places, they can use the UVO app to do all kinds of stuff like remote start and setting climate control and locking and unlocking doors and even software updates. US cars don't have that functionality. I believe we'd have to take our cars to the dealership for any software updates.
    Yeah, and then ask a service advisor who doesn't know what's out there if there's a software update for the car and get a "huh?........" look from them.

Staff Team 353 Rep Points robz32's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually you can connect the UVO app on the US version to a WiFi network but that is all.
    @Steve O The update you mention sounds like a mayor one. One that affects the driving dynamics and overall behavior of the transmission and engine. Such changes require not only an update in the firmware of the infotainment system but also a TCU firware and ECU firmware update as well. Something that is not commonly done without a computer attached to the car, much less over the internet. Any way you can have the dealer scan to find out if your firmware on the ECU and TCU actually was updated?
    Last edited by robz32; 12-04-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

In my case, I don't care about how it happened. The fact that it happened is all that matters. I'm noticing nobody else has experienced the same thing so I have no explanation for my experience other than it is a new car as of Oct 15 and I'm enjoying it more now than ever. I was expecting others to say "Me too!"

7 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    PCM/ECU firmware /software recalibration is not a small feat. I know GM and Toyota use a process that requires an affected car to be on a battery charger otherwise the battery would run down low enough to disrupt the process and render the control unit useless. I'm having trouble believing that Hyundai-KIA could do such a process without the help of a proper scan tool. I'd love to see that it's possible and to see that my car got this improved recalibration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12