Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

WTB Wanted: stock exhaust

Trader history for vance16805 (0)

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I had the unfortunate experience of bottoming out my stinger on a ripped up section of highway while the back was weighted down with 3 rear passengers.
I noticed a few days later the sound of s leaking exhaust. Getting it back from the dealership tomorrow that's been very good to me but the service rep said the tech found the rear half of the system is bent and should be replaced. Somehow that stock section is looking to be $2100 which I can't wrap my head around.
I would love to just use this excuse to go aftermarket but don't have the funds at the moment so I'm looking to see if anyone that went aftermarket is looking to sell there stock system. Please PM me or leave a comment here.
If you guys do happen to know of any good but afforable aftermarket systems also please feel free to let me know. Bought a house so kind of been out of the loop of what's available for this car now.
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Cant you just have an exhaust shop replace the bent area? Probably be the cheapest route.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I upgraded a few weeks ago, asking my buddy if my leftover parts are still in their junk pile or if they've been hauled off to the scrapper yet.

Good news: replacing the exhaust is extremely easy. The factory uses reusable metal gaskets with two bolt flanges and just a few rubber hangers throughout the system. It's four sections: Cat, downpipe, midpipe, muffler. Pop the rear up on jack stands and you can drop and replace the muffler section in minutes. The downpipes take 10 extra minutes because there's a body brace in the way. All you need is one socket (15mm? 14?? something like that) and a pry bar.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I mean if you wanted to wait a week or two i can order an exhaust and sell the old one too you xD

OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
Cant you just have an exhaust shop replace the bent area? Probably be the cheapest route.
If that's the case why are they telling me 2100$ for a new oem?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
If that's the case why are they telling me 2100$ for a new oem?
Because the dealer is going to order new parts from Kia, add their markup, then throw on several hours of labor.
Dealerships make their money in the service department - not by selling cars. Selling cars is usually a break-even or even a loss.

Any exhaust shop could fix it. Could be $100, could be $600, depends on what exactly broke. A general exhaust shop won't have the specific flanges that Kia uses, so they'd have to lop off a bunch of stuff and replace. That's what they do every day, all day.

OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
Because the dealer is going to order new parts from Kia, add their markup, then throw on several hours of labor.
Dealerships make their money in the service department - not by selling cars. Selling cars is usually a break-even or even a loss.

Any exhaust shop could fix it. Could be $100, could be $600, depends on what exactly broke. A general exhaust shop won't have the specific flanges that Kia uses, so they'd have to lop off a bunch of stuff and replace. That's what they do every day, all day.
And in comparing the stock system to what they would put in? I imagine they'd use cheaper materials?

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
And in comparing the stock system to what they would put in? I imagine they'd use cheaper materials?

The exhaust shop will just cut out the damaged area. It'll be the same material as our exhaust system.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
I doubt it will be the same material, but at this point, restoring the functionality of a busted section of exhaust pipe is a whole lot cheaper and will hold you off until you can get that nice aftermarket exhaust pipes you have always wanted.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Stock system is 409 stainless. Most shops use aluminized steel by default, but several stock 409 if you pay for it.
The stock system is so expensive from Kia solely because it can be. It's less than $400 in materials for the entire system (except the cats - those are always expensive).

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Stock system is 409 stainless. Most shops use aluminized steel by default, but several stock 409 if you pay for it.
The stock system is so expensive from Kia solely because it can be. It's less than $400 in materials for the entire system (except the cats - those are always expensive).
^This.

There's plenty of exhaust shops that carry 409 Stainless Steel.

Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
$2100 for a new stock exhaust is insane. Like others have suggested just get that area fixed. No one would ever see it.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
Op.

Since your gonna have to pony up some money anyway, just get an after market exhaust.

U know your gonna eventually.

Cheap ones (magnaflow) are less than a grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Post up some pictures let?s see how bad it is

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
FWIW, my buddy got back to me - my old system has already been hauled off to the scrapper. Probably sold for $5. Sorry.

OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #16
Post up some pictures let?s see how bad it is
Have no jacks at this house yet going to try to have a shop put it up on a lift when I have a day off

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT Micro Blue
Have no jacks at this house yet going to try to have a shop put it up on a lift when I have a day off

I have mufflers and resonators if you're interested.... Muffler shop can weld them back on...

Reactions
If you are still looking for one I will sale you the one from my GTS

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions
Throwing my new exhaust on tomorrow. I’ll have a factory catback with 400 miles on it set to collect dust...PM if you’re interested