Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Anyone getting a musty smell in the Stinger?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I think it might be coming from the vents, anyone getting a musty smell in their Stinger?

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
I think it might be coming from the vents, anyone getting a musty smell in their Stinger?
Haven't had any smell issues in the Stinger. Its probably a buildup of mildew somewhere. Try replacing the climate control air filter behind the glove box.

97133-j5000

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Once you remove the cabin filter you can run it on high heat and spray some Lysol behind the filter panel to kill any mold/mildew in the ducts. Then install the new filter.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread but I’ve been experiencing this a lot lately. I replaced my climate filter with the K&N unit a few months back and it still hasn’t gotten rid of it. Is it possible that the outside air intake is holding water from washes?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread but I’ve been experiencing this a lot lately. I replaced my climate filter with the K&N unit a few months back and it still hasn’t gotten rid of it. Is it possible that the outside air intake is holding water from washes?
Try going back to the oem to see if the smell goes away

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I replaced my climate filter with the K&N unit a few months back and it still hasn’t gotten rid of it. Is it possible that the outside air intake is holding water from washes?
Do you run your AC a lot, when you first turn on your AC do you get that mildew smell if so, your AC Condenser needs to be flushed. You can take it to the dealer to have it flushed or buy a kit at auto zone an do it yourself. The water that drips from your car why your AC is on comes from up inside a hose and from the Condenser, that water sits up inside of those areas and when you start your car an turn on your AC it comes through the vents and that's the smell. The kit will flush all the crap out of the condenser, remember this, if you do it yourself, it mite take 1 or 2 flushing to get it clean. Hope this helded

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Do you run your AC a lot, when you first turn on your AC do you get that mildew smell if so, your AC Condenser needs to be flushed. You can take it to the dealer to have it flushed or buy a kit at auto zone an do it yourself. The water that drips from your car why your AC is on comes from up inside a hose and from the Condenser, that water sits up inside of those areas and when you start your car an turn on your AC it comes through the vents and that's the smell. The kit will flush all the crap out of the condenser, remember this, if you do it yourself, it mite take 1 or 2 flushing to get it clean. Hope this helded
It’s California in the summer, I even run my A/C at night on my way home from work. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you thinkthe dealer would do this under warranty or would it be something on my dime?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
It’s California in the summer, I even run my A/C at night on my way home from work. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you thinkthe dealer would do this under warranty or would it be something on my dime?
It's not covered under warranty, you have to have to pay for it, but it never hurts to ask. It happens to cars in Arizona all the time, any place where its hot. I have my car done every year by the dealer.