Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

"Part Time" AWD

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So, all of this talk about AWD prompted me to show those of us with the AWD Stinger how to truly go RWD if we want.

So, the Stinger's AWD system has the capability to disable the center differential. There is a fuse in the engine bay that can be removed that allows the vehicle to function ONLY in RWD mode. You'll see the location of this fuse in the pictures that I've posted below.

PLEASE NOTE: Ensure that the Stinger is off when the fuse is removed and replaced to allow the ECU to properly enable/disable the center differential on power up.

Enjoy!!! LOL

cover.jpg

fuse.jpg

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Excellent info

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
nice!

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
WOW! Very cool! Isn't the next gen awd system of the Stinger rumored to have an awd system where the center diff can be electronically disconnected and it can go in RWD only mode???

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
has anyone put the car on a lift/stands to see if only the rear wheels truly spin if that fuse is pulled?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Has anyone actually done this yet? I?m curious to see if there is a warning in the dash after pulling the fuse..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA Stinger GT2 AWD
Interesting. OK, so who's going to be the first brave soul to try it? [cheerleader] Would this cause a warranty issue? Would this give a 'true' RWD experience - lack of LSD? Would there be some sort of 'mechanical drag' - for lack of a better term - on the front wheels?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
One of Tork's customers (who is running a Tork ECU tune) had this done a few months back.

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #9
So..... WOW. I just went and played figuring that if I broke something, I could always take it to my tech to ask for help. LOL

Answers: NO lite or code. pulled the fuse. Started the car. Warmed her up (it's 17 degrees here). Proceeded to be amazed!!!!

So, always stocking AWD's and owning one, I didn't realize how tough locking the tires up is for you Cali folk and Snow Birds!!! Even with the JB4, my AWD chirps just a hair on launch but bites and runs.

With this fuse out, she's 100% RWD. Zero action from the front end at all. This time, they spun in first and second and her butt was dancing like a dashboard hula dancer!!!! LMBO

I'm AMAZED at the difference this fuse makes!

I can't understand, at this point in the game, why ANYONE would buy a RWD Stinger???? Get the AWD and leave the fuse out until it's time to track it!

I'm giddy.....

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
This should be perfect for dynoing.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA Stinger GT2 AWD
So..... WOW. I just went and played figuring that if I broke something, I could always take it to my tech to ask for help. LOL

Answers: NO lite or code. pulled the fuse. Started the car. Warmed her up (it's 17 degrees here). Proceeded to be amazed!!!!

So, always stocking AWD's and owning one, I didn't realize how tough locking the tires up is for you Cali folk and Snow Birds!!! Even with the JB4, my AWD chirps just a hair on launch but bites and runs.

With this fuse out, she's 100% RWD. Zero action from the front end at all. This time, they spun in first and second and her butt was dancing like a dashboard hula dancer!!!! LMBO

I'm AMAZED at the difference this fuse makes!

I can't understand, at this point in the game, why ANYONE would buy a RWD Stinger???? Get the AWD and leave the fuse out until it's time to track it!

I'm giddy.....
[clap]
Well played, Murl! Keep us posted / let us know what happens - or doesn't - when you replace the fuse. I'm tempted, but with road conditions because of the snow/cold we've had, I'm a little nervous about playing around too much and swapping ends. Maybe I'll wait 'til spring. [burnout]

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #12
[clap]
Well played, Murl! Keep us posted / let us know what happens - or doesn't - when you replace the fuse. I'm tempted, but with road conditions because of the snow/cold we've had, I'm a little nervous about playing around too much and swapping ends. Maybe I'll wait 'til spring. [burnout]
Nothing happens when you replace the fuse. Again, make sure that you remove/replace the fuse while the car is off. I may actually put a duct tape tab on my fuse for quick pull/replace capability. LOL Getting the puller out each time is already getting annoying.

I still can't believe how squirrely this thing is without the front end.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
will be nice if an affordable LSD becomes available than you can really have the best of both worlds with the AWD then pull the fuse when you want RWD with a LSD. I'll put mine up in the air when I get a chance just to observe the lack of front power (I trust your butt murlinator, but I also like to experiment and test)

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Omg your awesome! I was reading awhile back and always wanted to do it. Now the question is it easier to slide the back end out? ie drift?[shhh]

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
or you can just get real crazy here like I'm planning on doing after reading this, and wire in a switch!!!!![raceflag]
Nothing happens when you replace the fuse. Again, make sure that you remove/replace the fuse while the car is off. I may actually put a duct tape tab on my fuse for quick pull/replace capability. LOL Getting the puller out each time is already getting annoying.

I still can't believe how squirrely this thing is without the front end.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
or you can just get real crazy here like I'm planning on doing after reading this, and wire in a switch!!!!![raceflag]
Put a switch kit together Mello!! I want one!

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #18
Omg your awesome! I was reading awhile back and always wanted to do it. Now the question is it easier to slide the back end out? ie drift?[shhh]
Oh, no question! It dances just launching it now when it never did that before. LOL

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States

I'm giddy.....
Cause in SoCal right now it's the middle of November and we have yet to see cold weather during the day or any real good amount of rain

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2