Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

295/30's Possible?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Focus ST(Stinger GT1 soon)
Okay, So after quite a bit of reading up on wheels and tires that have been tested to fit the Stinger, I have been wondering if 295/30's could fit. The benefit being they are the same height as stock 255/35r19's (only 0.23% difference), and this allows you to run the wider 255/35r19 front and have the same height tire in the rear rather than running the shorter 285/30's.

I read that 19x10 et40 and et55 running a 275/30r19 are the limits in both fender clearance and suspension clearance. Assuming that the tire used is a Michelin PS4S, choosen because it is a popular tire and is known to run wide as well as it being available for both front and rear sizes mentioned, the following info was calculated:

- 19x10 et40 with 275/30r19 PS4S:
  • Tire measurements were done on a 9.5in wheel, so assuming when it is mounted on a 10in wheel, it widens by 0.5in would be a safe bet.
  • The measured section width of the tire on a 9.5in wheel is 10.9in, so that would make it a 11.4in wide tire(289.56mm)
  • 289.56mm / 2 = 144.78mm which gives us the distance to the edge of the tires assuming we are measuring from the exact center.
  • 144.78mm - 40mm = 104.78mm, this is the distance from the wheel mounting surface to the outside edge of the tire, which is the limit due to the fender.

- 19x10 et55 with 275/30r19 PS4S:
  • Assuming the same tire math from before the only difference now is the offset and the fact we are measuring to the inside of the tire instead.
  • 144.78mm + 55mm = 199.78mm, which is the distance to the inside edge of the tire, making this the limit due to the suspension.

Limits:
  • Fender: 104.78mm outward from the wheel mounting surface.
  • Suspension: 199.78mm inward from the wheel mounting surface.

Okay, So now that the limits have been determined given those wheel setups, we can move forward to figuring out if 295/30's can fit properly without issue. From the info I have gathered on the 10in wheels mentioned prior and getyourwheels.com suggesting to get 10.5et45 for the rears and running 285/30's, this is another point to figure out what fits. Technically getyourwheels.com suggested 20's, but the math will still be fairly similar to 19's as the tires are the same width and they wouldn't recommend something that would cause rubbing hopefully.

- 19x10.5 et45 with 285/30r19 PSS(no PS4S in this size, but still a tire known to run wide):
  • Tire is measured on a 10in wheel, so assuming once again that it widens by 0.5in when mounted on a 10.5in wheel, it is a safe bet.
  • The tire is 11.4in on a 10in wheel, making it 11.9in(302.26mm) on a 10.5in wheel.
  • 302.26mm / 2 = 151.13mm.
  • To the outside it would be: 151.13mm - 45mm = 106.13mm
  • To the inside it would be: 151.13mm + 45mm = 196.13mm
  • Seeing this means either these will poke out more or we actually have more space outward than previously calculated/tested. So for now lets assume the prior numbers from the 10in are the actual limits just to be safer.

Given the offsets for the 10in wheels, 40mm and 55mm, we can adjust the offset range to a 10.5in wheel pretty easily. To make this faster than writing out all of the math you can check on willtheyfit.com to see that the offsets match to the side of the wheel they need to.

- 10.5in wheel offset range: 46mm to 49mm.
  • This shows the getyourwheels.com recommended size is actually outside the range, but we can adjust the range to include it if desired, or ignore it because of the following.
  • The midpoint between the two offsets, which would allow for the widest setup possible, is 47.5mm, if we err on the side of caution so as to not be rubbing 100% of the time on the suspension, it is best to set it to round down to 47mm as it will push the wheel out by 0.5mm.
  • Also notice that if we had included the 45mm offset that was recommended, the midpoint would also be 47mm so excluding/including it wouldn't really have any effect.

So with all of this said, sorry for the massive wall of text and numbers, but I want to make sure I am very thorough with the calculations so it doesn't seem I pulled them out of my ass. :p

- 19x10.5 et47 with a 295/30r19 PS4S: <---The calculation you have been waiting for.

• The tire was measured on a 10.5in wheel, so the given measurements are perfect as is, which is nice.
  • Section width is 11.9in(302.26mm)
  • 302.26mm / 2 = 196.13mm
  • To the outside it would be: 151.13mm - 47mm = 103.13mm
  • To the inside it would be: 151.13mm + 47mm = 198.13mm
What does this mean? Technically a 295/30r19 PS4S should fit and actually have better clearance than either of the 19x10 options listed prior. So if anyone is able to actually test using a 19x10.5 et47 and a PS4S 295/30r19 to confirm what the math is showing, I would really appreciate it, I don't have the ability to test this myself but going through all of the math for this I am fairly confident it should fit without issue. Maybe one day I will adapt my program for tire fitment to work with the stinger(designed originally for the Focus ST and it works wonders) but that will be a while down the road as I have to do a lot of measurements to check all parameters so the output gives accurate data.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
16 Colorado Diesel
Wow, that?s a lot of calculating. I?m just wanting to see How well a 275/30r19 is on my stock rear ??.

Good info!

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
THIS^^^

I think a 295 will be possible in the rear with the right offset. However I predict you will be having rubbing issues with the quarter panel as the width of the wheel and tire will make it difficult to fit without touching any of the suspension components.

On the front. Forget it, unless you have a wide body kit.

OP
BlindAssassin111
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
[MENTION=850]GetYourWheels[/MENTION] Any thoughts? I know y'all have more experience with fitment on the stinger than I do. With the setup you recommend how much room is there with the fender? Does it clear with a 285/30 PS4S and have a bit of room to spare at high compression(does it hit the fender ever)? And how much room is there at the back of the wheel?

If there is more room towards the fender, then the offset could be lower and move the wheel a bit out and make the 295's a bit more comfy in their home.

GetYourWheels

Vendor
Reactions
City
Santa Fe Springs
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Overland Cayenne Diesel
At a 10.5 +45 with a 285/30 especially with a fatty tire like the PS4S, you're at your limits. You'll probably be able to squeeze a 295/30 with a 10.5 +48 but we haven't been able to get an accurate measurement on the inside

OP
BlindAssassin111
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
[MENTION=850]GetYourWheels[/MENTION] Do you have accurate offset information for the stock 19's, front and rear? I haven't seen much information that is actually consistent and it honestly seems to change around depending on who is asked...It was easy on the Focus ST because Ford actually put it in the manual, but I guess Kia isn't as forthcoming with that info sadly. Oh and stock camber front and rear would be nice if you have that(if it is different between AWD and RWD, just give RWD info).

I think I will go ahead and start moving my program over to the Stinger as I don't have a need to keep it setup for the Focus ST. Then I can start getting better information and hopefully figure this out by the time I want to get wheels.

GetYourWheels

Vendor
Reactions
City
Santa Fe Springs
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Overland Cayenne Diesel
[MENTION=850]GetYourWheels[/MENTION] Do you have accurate offset information for the stock 19's, front and rear? I haven't seen much information that is actually consistent and it honestly seems to change around depending on who is asked...It was easy on the Focus ST because Ford actually put it in the manual, but I guess Kia isn't as forthcoming with that info sadly. Oh and stock camber front and rear would be nice if you have that(if it is different between AWD and RWD, just give RWD info).

I think I will go ahead and start moving my program over to the Stinger as I don't have a need to keep it setup for the Focus ST. Then I can start getting better information and hopefully figure this out by the time I want to get wheels.
19X8 +34
19X8.5 +46 is stock size.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] is that your car? It looks great.

If so, do you have any side profile photos? Just want to see if the wheels protrude from the fenders.

Also what kind of wheels are those?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
OP
BlindAssassin111
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #15
[MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] Thank you so much for testing this out, I really love the way that looks and that makes the purchase easier knowing what fits.

I really didn't want to run 285's because of the height differential compared to the 255 fronts, and seeing as 295 is now confirmed I am so happy!

I asked this in your thread, but will ask here for future reference if people look here, Do you have any pictures/measurements on how much space is on the inside of the rear? Meaning how much clearance do you still have in the rear to the closest part to hitting, I found shoving an object and measuring that was the best method to determine clearance rather than trying to get something to measure in there. Any info is appreciated! And can you measure the actual width of the rear wheels? Wheels are always wider than the width listed as the width listed is the tire mounting width, not the full width. I want to figure out clearance even more, so anything you can provide is very helpful.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Great thread BlindAssasin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jl.rubitron Wheels & Tires 14
STINGER Wheels & Tires 44