Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Lap 3 3.3T downpipes

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Lap 3 is working on downpipe for the 3.3T, looks pretty good.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Very nice

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I have read elsewhere in the forum that if I were to put downpipes on my GT2, that it would not run unless I had a Tune. Is this true, or can I install them in an otherwise stock car? TIA

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
That is false. The car will run, the tune is recommended in order to extract the maximum benefits of the increased exhaust flow.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
The car will run, but it will go into limp mode due to over-boost.
I guess the downpipes flow TOO well compared to OEM.
The car has to be tuned to compensate for this.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wow, two totally conflicting answers.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
That is false. The car will run, the tune is recommended in order to extract the maximum benefits of the increased exhaust flow.
Tune is like put a JB4?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
Tune is like put a JB4?
Lap3 Pro tunes for this. Tork motorsports can as well. Don't know for sure about JB4, but I would hazard a guess that they would also.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
The bottom line on this, from info from several threads on more than one Stinger forum, is that once these primary downpipes are installed on a car, the owner is then committed to run some kind of tune to compensate for the increased flow. You can't run properly without being specifically tuned for this.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Not really. The car will run properly, the tune is only required if you want the car to really take advantage of the upgrade.

As stated above, an ECU tune like Tork's or Pressertech, will prevent the over boost issue. The JB4 has not run into that issue, so I assume that will also prevent it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
Not really. The car will run properly, the tune is only required if you want the car to really take advantage of the upgrade.

As stated above, an ECU tune like Tork's or Pressertech, will prevent the over boost issue. The JB4 has not run into that issue, so I assume that will also prevent it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
OK. I stand corrected.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
The bottom line on this, from info from several threads on more than one Stinger forum, is that once these primary downpipes are installed on a car, the owner is then committed to run some kind of tune to compensate for the increased flow. You can't run properly without being specifically tuned for this.
The car will run just fine, but you won't see the full potential of this mod without a tune.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I believe you're talking about two different things here, gents.

The "primary" downpipes have the primary cats. We saw a long time ago that just trying to bore them larger created overboost issues. Hacking the ECU would be necessary to overcome that problem.

However, replacing the secondary downpipes - along with their secondary cats - has been done by many owners without need for a tune to use them. 30hp is a claimed gain, without any tune.

Reactions
City
Haymarket
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
600WHP+ Kia Stinger
Hello Everyone,

We just joined the forum today. We will make an introduction post on a proper thread later. We have only been using the other Stinger forum, but we figured to chime in to answer any questions you may have to clear any misinformation. The Downpipes that we have on our website are real Primary Downpipe upgrades. Almost all downpipes that are out on the market that are advertised as "downpipes" are actually midpipes with secondary cat deletes. They shouldn't be called downpipes, when it's not right off the turbo. They are midpipes.

A several bolt-on manufacturers including Turbokits.com have reached out to us, because they ran into overboost and limp mode problems from primary & secondary cat deletes, without any tuning. Tork Motorsports had catless primary downpipes on their shop Stinger, and their youtube video showed running into limp mode and etc, so they returned the primary back to stock. Not sure if they ever figured it out. One of JB4 customers who had the SSR full downpipe+midpipe upgrade also ran into limp mode at the track recently, which is also on youtube.

With the LAP3 Pro-Tuner mapping, we highly recommend upgrading the primary downpipes to make more power past 440WHP. The primary downpipe is the biggest choke point of the entire exhaust system. The stock one is 1.25" in diameter, and we doubled the size for optimal flow. The Pro-Tuner mapping is needed to take advantage of the free-flowing exhaust system. It allows you to make more power without running into limp mode from overboosting, and it will also take care of the cat efficiency codes for not having cats. If you'd like to read more about it, please visit our facebook page or join LAP3 performance discussion page on facebook. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link the other forum page, (If not, please let us know, so we can edit the post) here's the link: https://stingerforum.org/threads/lap3-pro-tuner-540bhp-new-stock-turbo-record.9239/

- David @ LAP3

Reactions
City
Haymarket
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
600WHP+ Kia Stinger
You can do a dyno pull, but they've had overboost & limp mode on the street if you have checked out their other youtube video.

Turbokits.com removed all four cats and kept the catback stock. They could do dyno pulls, but they couldn't properly drive the vehicle on the street.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
You can do a dyno pull, but they've had overboost & limp mode on the street if you have checked out their other youtube video.

Turbokits.com removed all four cats and kept the catback stock. They could do dyno pulls, but they couldn't properly drive the vehicle on the street.
Can you post turbokits.com?s video?

Reactions
City
Haymarket
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
600WHP+ Kia Stinger
Can you post turbokits.com's video?
Turbokits.com were making prototype bolt-ons, and Jesse P. TK Tec @ Turbokits.com reached out for a solution, regarding this issue.

??.JPG

Their shop Stinger is now tuned with LAP3 Pro-Tuner to take advantage of the downpipe & midpipe upgrade.

I'm not sure if this was ever shared on this page, but Turbokits.com was able to get two runs at the track last month.
And it ran the fastest 1/4 mile time for the AWD Stinger platform with our LAP3 Pro-Tuner.

??.JPG

The video is also on youtube as well.

[video=youtube;PFMVtVl-yv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMVtVl-yv8[/video]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Didn't Tork MS break into the 11's a month ago?

Reactions
City
Haymarket
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
600WHP+ Kia Stinger
Didn't Tork MS break into the 11's a month ago?
They finally ran 11.98 with a RWD Stinger after making numerous attempts.

RWD Stingers make ~40whp more than the AWD Stingers when measured on our 4x4 dynojet, since RWD models have less drivetrain loss.

The AWD models are also a few hundred pounds heavier, which alone would add a few tenths of a second for 1/4 mile times.

Tork tuned AWD Stinger's best time to this day is 12.44. The 1/4 mile data is available on the other forum as well.

??.JPG