Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Running with Tork...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Want to hear from anyone that's chosen to go with the Tork Motorsports ECU tune. Their tune is a mid-priced option at $895 for the Stage 1 tune. This ECU tune gives more ability to change the finer details in life. The software adjustments allow finite changes in the actual programming as opposed to simply fooling the system like the piggy back tunes do.

What do you guys think?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I wonder how many people are running their tune. How do they handle tune updates and tweaks, do you have to send it back everytime?

brancky3

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
You have to send it back everytime. I haven't seen anybody using it

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #4
That's a bummer. John has been working on this car pretty hard. I was hoping that a handful had gone that way to support their work and to give reports on performance.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
You have to send it back everytime. I haven't seen anybody using it
I think that's the biggest hangup for most people. At least with the piggy back tunes you can easily return it back to stock for warranty repairs.

That's a bummer. John has been working on this car pretty hard. I was hoping that a handful had gone that way to support their work and to give reports on performance.
I agree with you.

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #6
I think that's the biggest hangup for most people. At least with the piggy back tunes you can easily return it back to stock for warranty repairs.

I agree with you.
I almost pulled the trigger on this one with Tork. If the spare ECU was only $400-$500 I probably would have bought the spare. That way you can simply swap out the tuned ECU for original factory one when needed.

brancky3

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
His tunes are getting some crazy numbers though. It's probably really good if you're local

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #8
His tunes are getting some crazy numbers though. It's probably really good if you're local
Here's the kicker; they still haven't cracked the torque management in the ECU yet. Once they find the code for that it'll open up even more push!

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
How much is the spare ECU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Here's the kicker; they still haven't cracked the torque management in the ECU yet. Once they find the code for that it'll open up even more push!
Has anyone? I know they aren't the only game in town, but they are the most active online, so we know what he's doing. I am with you, I feel as though I owe him something for learning so much about the car through his trials and tribulations.

My dream tune is to have the drive settings remain completely unchanged by the tune and only sport/custom is where you get the new mappings. In my conversation with him, he asked me why I would want to since I could just not push the pedal down so far to get that better fuel economy. Maybe that was deflection because something like what I want isn't possible and I just need to get over it.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
It is just a matter of time, but we need more aftermarket companies jumping on board on this area, to speed up the process. PresserTech is another company tuning ECUs for the Stinger. They found two different verisons of encryption which slows down progress. However they were able to crack the latest version.[lockdance]

In order for torque management to be controlled, a TCU crack needs to be done.

It is all a matter of time, as tuning shops in Korea and the US keep pushing the limits of the platform it creates the need to manipulate more variables.

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #12
How much is the spare ECU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A replacement ECU is $1,000.

So, that puts the Tork tune at about $1,900 but with a complete factory replacement ECU for when you want it.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I thought Tork had a decent price on replacement ECUs?

Anyway, he just posted a sub-4-second 0-60 on Youtube. I think he's about got the launch issues nailed.

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #14
Wow!!!!! I've been dying for him to come back! LOL

[video=youtube;JRQrC_iXz2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRQrC_iXz2E[/video]

brancky3

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
While I know his tune is very powerful, don't believe anything you see online about 0-60 times unless they measure with Dragy. OBD measurements are terribly inaccurate

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
agreed. or an official time slip from a 1/4 mile run

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
A replacement ECU is $1,000.

So, that puts the Tork tune at about $1,900 but with a complete factory replacement ECU for when you want it.
And to think I scoffed at spending $850 back in the day on a tune AND spare ECU for my Genesis coupe. Wish I still had that thing; would love to compare it to the one in the Stinger to see if they're the same (they look similar and they're in the same location).

Reactions
$1900 to save your warranty is well worth the cost and not to mention the time saved by not having your car down between sending your ECU back/forth from Tork.

jamesc

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
I know his tunes were some of the most reliable for the veloster turbos.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
It looks like he's selling the spare ECU for $550 with a tune.