Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

No boost

Dtrain

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
G'day all,

this may need to be in the engine/drivetrain thread so change if need be.

I'm in Newcastle Australia.

So Ive lost a huge amount of torque. Definitely getting no or very little boost. Still quick but no punch when I put my foot down.
So i had a look myself in case it was just a loose hose and found the passenger side intercooler charge side hose moved a bit. It's a cicrclip type clamp and different to all other. Ducked into Kia and they said it wasn't right and ordered a new part taking six weeks to get in, so I took it home and A mate in Perth checked his out and that is how it should be so it seems Kia techs are quite clueless with the stinger so far.
anybody had this happen? I can't find any loose hoses. I had the bottom plastic off this arv and put it on jacks to inspect. I removed the circlip type clamp from the I/c charge side, inspected and lubed the seals and replaced but still nothing.

I've got three thoughts.
1) electrical prob somewhere but I ran my diagnostic computer and found no codes.
2) wastegate is stuck open.
3) siezed turbo.

Please help. My next step is To leave it with Kia, but it seems that anything they do will be winging it as they've obviously had no training on these cards as they claim at the service centre. If it's not an oil change, it's beyond them. Apologies to the Kia techs that do know there shit, but my dealer wouldn't even see me for weeks and no car to get me to and from work in the process.

Love the car though. Still no complaints except above.

Cheers,
D

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
I'm having very similar issues, although my CEL clicked on permanently as of yesterday, my first thought was a boost leak here as well, I just now pulled it in the garage to do some inspection(since I just happened to accidentally bottom the vehicle out on a dirt road I had never been down late last week). I figure this is probably related, however I am also getting an intermittent misfire as well so I am not sure if it may be ignition related or not, I'll let you know what I find out. Did yours trip a CEL code?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I'm having very similar issues, although my CEL clicked on permanently as of yesterday, my first thought was a boost leak here as well, I just now pulled it in the garage to do some inspection(since I just happened to accidentally bottom the vehicle out on a dirt road I had never been down late last week). I figure this is probably related, however I am also getting an intermittent misfire as well so I am not sure if it may be ignition related or not, I'll let you know what I find out. Did yours trip a CEL code?
Have you done any modifications to yours besides dragging the belly? LOL

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Have you done any modifications to yours besides dragging the belly? LOL
lol not really, just intake, which I don't see causing any issue on the boost side of things(maybe vacuum) -- I have not found anything as of yet either, I am waiting before I dive in too far to read this cel code.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I have read of another poster here that had problems with the CAI. There is a vacuum line that I believe was on the driver side that was a different size than the OEM and it caused problems for him.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
I have read of another poster here that had problems with the CAI. There is a vacuum line that I believe was on the driver side that was a different size than the OEM and it caused problems for him.
This is something of a custom job, I re-used the OEM hose that you're referencing, and I've had no issues whatsoever until now, (fitted at ~2k, currently 30k miles into it since Feb. of this year, yea I drive a lot lol) - after reading around a bit more and seeing what appears to be a lot of people having issues with either plugs and/or coils on aforementioned plugs, all the symptoms seem to point to everything I've experienced for the most part thus far, is yours having the check engine light come on at all(either intermittent or static)? I just got my hands on the code reader which I'm about to see what code it is throwing, it was only coming on when I would put the system under boost, now it's on all the time.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I have not ever seen a stock Stinger have a problem with the factory plugs. Only when guys were boosting the car with a tune on the stock plugs as the gap from the factory is too wide and would blow out. A handful of us have regapped our factory plugs to .025" from the .035" they have stock and we're all running just fine with them.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
That's a relief =)

For some reason the code reader I am using cannot communicate with the ecu, and I know the port has power. This is the first time I've ever had to use it though, the only 2 things I know of outside of lack of power/bent or missing pins/faulty wiring path(unlikely?) would be sensor circuits with shorts, or ecu failure -- doesn't matter when I plug into the port it just automatically throws CAN link failure, I usually don't use these handheld devices to read obd2 though, so it's highly likely I could be doing it wrong(I usually use those ELM327/bluetooth adapters with torque or something else) anything you think I may be missing here?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Will a CAN compliant scanner work with the stinger is the bigger question in this scenario

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
methinks this is just too cheap of a scanner. (actron cp9125c)

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
It should work. Ignition on and engine off.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
I was just being impatient and not waiting long enough after switching ign to on, I'm getting a P0306.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
My best guess without testing is coil and/or plug from everything I've seen, I'm not very familiar with coil on plug type systems or if there is an easy way to test, suffice to say though this shouldn't be a result of bottoming out and I could not find any boost leaks, wish I could help more with OPs issue but sounds like you probably know more about these vehicles than me.

Last edited:

Theo

Reactions
City
Melbourne
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia stinger
Does anyone know how to fix error code p259e, I have no boost

Hanice

Reactions
City
Liverpool
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Stinger GT RWD Australian
G'day all,

So Ive lost a huge amount of torque. Definitely getting no or very little boost. Still quick but no punch when I put my foot down.
So i had a look myself in case it was just a loose hose and found the passenger side intercooler charge side hose moved a bit. It's a cicrclip type clamp and different to all other. Ducked into Kia and they said it wasn't right and ordered a new part taking six weeks to get in, so I took it home and A mate in Perth checked his out and that is how it should be so it seems Kia techs are quite clueless with the stinger so far.
anybody had this happen? I can't find any loose hoses. I had the bottom plastic off this arv and put it on jacks to inspect. I removed the circlip type clamp from the I/c charge side, inspected and lubed the seals and replaced but still nothing.

I've got three thoughts.
1) electrical prob somewhere but I ran my diagnostic computer and found no codes.
3) siezed turbo.

Please help. My next step is To leave it with Kia, but it seems that anything they do will be winging it as they've obviously had no training on these cards as they claim at the service centre. If it's not an oil change, it's beyond them. Apologies to the Kia techs that do know there shit, but my dealer wouldn't even see me for weeks and no car to get me to and from work in the process.

Cheers,
D
G'day all,

I've got three thoughts.
3) siezed turbo.

Cheers,
D
Hi,
New to here. Got a MY23 and sounds like it is doing the same thing. Did they find out what the issue was?
Thanks

BlitzVu

Reactions
City
Macanovic
State
DE
Country
Croatia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 2.0 2018
G'day,

Based on your description of the problem, it sounds like it could be related to the EWGA (Electronic Waste Gate Actuator). I had a similar issue where I experienced a significant loss of torque and boost in my Stinger. In my case, it turned out to be the EWGA which wasn't functioning properly.

Given that you've already checked for any loose hoses and didn't find any codes with your diagnostic computer, the EWGA might be the culprit. It's responsible for regulating the turbocharger's waste gate, controlling the flow of exhaust gases, and maintaining optimal boost levels. If it's malfunctioning, it could result in the symptoms you're experiencing.

Before leaving your car with Kia, especially considering your concerns about their expertise with the Stinger, you might want to consult a specialized mechanic or someone with more experience with Stingers to check the EWGA.

Hope this helps, and best of luck getting your Stinger back to its full power!

---

Last edited:

Hanice

Reactions
City
Liverpool
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Thank you.
The earlies Kia dealer can see me is early January 2024. Will there by any issues with damaging the engine if I still drive it in the meantime.

BlitzVu

Reactions
City
Macanovic
State
DE
Country
Croatia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 2.0 2018
Thank you for the update. It's quite a long wait until January 2024 to see the Kia dealer but Kia 🤮. Regarding driving your car in the meantime, I would advise caution. The EWGA (Electronic Waste Gate Actuator) is crucial for controlling the turbocharger and ensuring engine efficiency. If it isn't working correctly, it can lead to further engine problems.

I strongly recommend taking your car to a private garage for a diagnostic check in the meantime. Specifically, ask them to measure the voltage on the EWGA. It should be between 4.1-4.3V. If the voltage is above this range, it likely indicates a problem with the EWGA. Addressing this issue promptly can prevent potential engine damage.

Please keep me updated on what they find. I wish you the best of luck and hope the issue gets resolved quickly and smoothly.

Best regards,

Hanice

Reactions
City
Liverpool
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Thank you for the update. It's quite a long wait until January 2024 to see the Kia dealer but Kia 🤮. Regarding driving your car in the meantime, I would advise caution. The EWGA (Electronic Waste Gate Actuator) is crucial for controlling the turbocharger and ensuring engine efficiency. If it isn't working correctly, it can lead to further engine problems.

I strongly recommend taking your car to a private garage for a diagnostic check in the meantime. Specifically, ask them to measure the voltage on the EWGA. It should be between 4.1-4.3V. If the voltage is above this range, it likely indicates a problem with the EWGA. Addressing this issue promptly can prevent potential engine damage.

Please keep me updated on what they find. I wish you the best of luck and hope the issue gets resolved quickly and smoothly.

Best regards,
Thanks again for the advice