Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Warranty and lowering springs

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
So I want to lower my stinger but worried about losing my warranty regarding active suspension. I've heard of blown shocks due to lowering springs. My question is what are the chances of something like that happening and the dealership blaming the springs?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
So I want to lower my stinger but worried about losing my warranty regarding active suspension. I've heard of blown shocks due to lowering springs. My question is what are the chances of something like that happening and the dealership blaming the springs?
There's always that chance, if you get the Eibach springs, its a very mild drop that it probably won't do any harm to the shocks.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
If the dealer can find anything to blame it on other than malfunction of OEM parts, you WILL be charged LOL I'm saying this from experience. After a nightmare with a Focus I had, I will NEVER mod a car that is under warranty.

I know a guy who lowered his Jetta that was still under warranty. I forget the issue he had but they said "Due to increased vibrations of lowering the car, we are unable to warranty this work".

Mod at your own risk [twothumb]

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
If the dealer can find anything to blame it on other than malfunction of OEM parts, you WILL be charged LOL I'm saying this from experience. After a nightmare with a Focus I had, I will NEVER mod a car that is under warranty.

I know a guy who lowered his Jetta that was still under warranty. I forget the issue he had but they said "Due to increased vibrations of lowering the car, we are unable to warranty this work".

Mod at your own risk [twothumb]
That's what I'm afraid of. I dont know anyone who has experience with kia and their warranty policies. I'm arguing with a co worker with a 5 series bmw and he said his dealership hasnt give him crap about his car being lowered. But I'll bet if he has issues with his active suspension theyll be quick to blame the lowering springs.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
That's what I'm afraid of. I dont know anyone who has experience with kia and their warranty policies. I'm arguing with a co worker with a 5 series bmw and he said his dealership hasnt give him crap about his car being lowered. But I'll bet if he has issues with his active suspension theyll be quick to blame the lowering springs.
I'd call them up and establish a relationship with them. The better they know you, the better they'll treat you. I would suggest bringing it up to them about you wanting to lower the car. If not, don't say anything about it and they may never know. Color match if you decide to put springs on it so they don't stick out.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
It all depends on the dealership, to be honest. If they're a bunch of ego-driven dickbags, they'll find any way they can to blame you for the damage to protect the manufacturer. If they get along with you, they'll turn a blind eye here and there if your mod clearly doesn't cause the problem that you might be having.

Having said that, BMW is considered a higher-end brand out here in the States, so they treat their customers much more leniently, promptly, and with much greater courtesy. In fact, most name brands do: it's part of the reason people go for name brands. They know some cheaper Mercs and BMWs are absolute trash cars, but because of the brand, they know they'll be taken care of and don't have to worry about it.

Kia is only used to deal with economy vehicles and buyers, so they've got a lot of work ahead on learning how to deal with Stinger owners starting at how their dealerships handle them. They do seem to be giving dealerships reminders that Stinger owners are "VIP", but it has yet to sink into the Kia dealership I have to go to (because it's literally 2 miles from my home).

It's all luck of the draw, but if you want to mod a car because it genuinely brings you joy, I say do it. I wouldn't drive a car I don't want to every day, that's for sure, lol