Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger vs G70

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hi guys, I'm new here!
I've driven both the Stinger GT and the 2L, but tonight I got to test drive the Genesis G70 6spd RWD 2L.
What a difference! In Canada, at least, you cannot get a RWD Stinger, they're all AWD. So between rear drive and the manual box, it felt so much lighter and more nimble.

Why Kia, why is the stick shift forbidden?? It's not even the best manual gearbox but I much prefer it anyways over the 8spd auto. If I didn't need the space in the hatch I would be all over the G70.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hi guys, I'm new here!
I've driven both the Stinger GT and the 2L, but tonight I got to test drive the Genesis G70 6spd RWD 2L.
What a difference! In Canada, at least, you cannot get a RWD Stinger, they're all AWD. So between rear drive and the manual box, it felt so much lighter and more nimble.

Why Kia, why is the stick shift forbidden?? It's not even the best manual gearbox but I much prefer it anyways over the 8spd auto. If I didn't need the space in the hatch I would be all over the G70.
Welcome! This reminds me I need to head down and test drive one. Are you thinking of making the switch?

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm new here!

[MENTION=1475]StingerSwinger[/MENTION] does the exhaust on the G70 2.0T look like the exhaust on this site?
https://www.genesisg70.org/threads/are-there-two-exhaust-tips-available-for-the-genesis-g70.345/

OP
S
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #4
OP
S
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #5
Welcome! This reminds me I need to head down and test drive one. Are you thinking of making the switch?
Ha, no I won't be switching sides just yet! I need the hatch for my dog.
Just mad that the manual is obviously possible on the platform and Kia didn't feel like offering it.

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
in the future I'm sure they will be adapting that trans in stingers once the owners start finding g70 manual transmissions in junkyards ect... at home projects etc ect

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
None of these Genesis cars are imported into the UK, so not an option for us.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
The Genesis is good. But that front end is just hideous (IMHO). The interior I like a lot.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
The Genesis is good. But that front end is just hideous (IMHO). The interior I like a lot.
Right! It looks just like an Elantra to me.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
This ^.

I have no problems with Hyundai/Genesis at all - but the front end of the G70 is just... yuck. That massive cheese-grater-grill makes me thing that they are trying to look too much like a Lexus.

Yeah, I know some people care less about how the car looks and more about how it handles or its 0-60 times. I guess I am shallow then , because I won't spend $ on a vehicle unless the aesthetic values (inside and out) really wow me.

-Tim

WestCDA

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT Limited AWD
Personally, I haven't tried the G70, but I hate a poor manual transmission - they need to be Honda or Miata smooth and precise. A couple years back I looked at the Genesis coupe, but one of the biggest drawbacks for me was the poor feel of the manual transmission. If you'd asked me a year before I saw the Stinger, I would have told you my next car would have to be a coupe with a manual transmission - and now I'm driving a 4 door Stinger (well, 5) with an auto box. And loving it - the car is that good.

As for the G70, I had a salesman try hard to sell me on it at the new car show I attended immediately before buying the Stinger. He was going on about the Genesis buying experience, the quality of the stereo, interior finishing, etc. I just didn't like the look of the car, and there was no getting beyond that.