Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger TPMS issues?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 RWD White
Hello fellow owners! Has anyone had an issue with the tire pressure light coming on and telling you one of your tires is low? I live in Phoenix and well, it's been kinda hot. A few weeks ago I went to the mountains and the monitoring system said I had low air. It didn't correct itself after I got back to Phoenix, so I added air and nothing. Took it to Kia to be checked and they added air and it was fine till hurricane Rosa decided to lower the temp to 86?. Low and behold, pressure light is back on with a different tire. I've had TPMS before and I've never had these issues. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Hello fellow owners! Has anyone had an issue with the tire pressure light coming on and telling you one of your tires is low? I live in Phoenix and well, it's been kinda hot. A few weeks ago I went to the mountains and the monitoring system said I had low air. It didn't correct itself after I got back to Phoenix, so I added air and nothing. Took it to Kia to be checked and they added air and it was fine till hurricane Rosa decided to lower the temp to 86?. Low and behold, pressure light is back on with a different tire. I've had TPMS before and I've never had these issues. Anyone else experiencing this?
Check and make sure your tire pressure isn't too high. I have my tires set to 36psi all around. If your's is AWD it should be 38psi up front and 36psi in the rear.

OP
Armoured
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 RWD White
Thread Starter #3
Mine is a RWD and are set to 36psi. I don't understand why it's so extreme with this car. I've had four other cars with TPMS and they weren't this sensitive to weather changes. On average the pressure was down to 30psi on all four tires. Would nitrogen help with this issue?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Nitrogen has 5% real world value and is 95% gimmick. Even nitrogen contracts with temperature.

So, air contracts at the rate of around 1psi/10 degrees fluctuation. That means that if your tires were spot on at 80F, that they will drop 4psi if you check them around 40F. This also means that if you check your pressure while or after driving the car and they're good that they will cool down about 20-30 degrees from the active driving temp. There's 2-3psi.

Here's the kicker; TPMS systems are a federal requirement. They are not simply a nuisance that car companies just feel like throwing in there. The federal mandate states that a TPMS warning illuminate to alert a driver once the active pressure has deviated 10% or more from the rated figure. Do the easy math. If your tire is supposed to carry 35psi, that means that once your tire drops FOUR psi, the idiot light comes on.

I run ALL of my vehicles with a cold pressure of 2psi over rated figure. I never see my light unless there's actually a leak.

OP
Armoured
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 RWD White
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the nitrogen info. Never had it but I was willing to try anything to stop that damn light from coming on. When it happens again, I'll try the 2psi more and see what happens. [cheers]

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Red
39psi on the rear, 36psi on the front (for 18" wheels).