Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Fifth Gear - KIA Stinger VS Audi S5

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 Micro Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
[video=youtube;mK16D6LypF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=mK16D6LypF8[/video]
I?ll take the slower track time and the savings at least in the US. Pricing an equivalently optioned S5 got me to $66,400 MSRP compared to my GT2?s $52k MSRP. I didn?t pay full MSRP on the Stinger and wouldn?t on the Audi either but the difference is huge if those extra features like lane assistance, dynamic suspension, cooled and heated seats, heads up display etc are important to you, which they are to me. If not, you can get a base S5 in the US for $56k. But then you could get a base Stinger GT for $40k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
I?ll take the slower track time and the savings at least in the US. Pricing an equivalently optioned S5 got me to $66,400 MSRP compared to my GT2?s $52k MSRP. I didn?t pay full MSRP on the Stinger and wouldn?t on the Audi either but the difference is huge if those extra features like lane assistance, dynamic suspension, cooled and heated seats, heads up display etc are important to you, which they are to me. If not, you can get a base S5 in the US for $56k. But then you could get a base Stinger GT for $40k

Very true.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I would also add that the S5 is a sports sedan. It would be interesting to see how the S4 (since it?s also a sports sedan, but lighter without he hatch), does against the Genesis G70. I?d put money on it not doing as well. The Stinger was always meant to be a GT, not a track car. As someone in their mid-40?s, I like that fact about it. I don?t track it, never will. It handles beautifully on twisty roads, yet is the most comfortable car I?ve had since my ?09 Infiniti M45x for long distance trips by a long margin. In other words, it serves its purpose really well. :)

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
I would also add that the S5 is a sports sedan. It would be interesting to see how the S4 (since it?s also a sports sedan, but lighter without he hatch), does against the Genesis G70. I?d put money on it not doing as well. The Stinger was always meant to be a GT, not a track car. As someone in their mid-40?s, I like that fact about it. I don?t track it, never will. It handles beautifully on twisty roads, yet is the most comfortable car I?ve had since my ?09 Infiniti M45x for long distance trips by a long margin. In other words, it serves its purpose really well. :)

Last time I've read they were about 20 pounds difference, with the S4 being heavier.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Last time I've read they were about 20 pounds difference, with the S4 being heavier.
Interesting. I wonder why.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
Interesting. I wonder why.

Actually if you're referring to the S5 Sportback then it is the heaviest at 3924lbs.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
A fully loaded S5 sportback will set you back $67,175, I rather pocket the savings and own a Stinger.

Funkorea

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
A fully loaded S5 sportback will set you back $67,175, I rather pocket the savings and own a Stinger.
Yup, compare models with almost exact features and the $$ spread is substantially higher than suggested.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Yup, compare models with almost exact features and the $$ spread is substantially higher than suggested.
I agree, had originally planned on getting an A4 to replace 535, but after test driving the Stinger it was an easy choice for me value wise. Better warranty, more features and even better performance.

JD_STNGR1

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
It’s a no brainer, Stinger GT2

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT Limited
Actually started out looking at an S5 Sportback, test drove both cars back to back and preferred the Stinger. As above, no discernable feature difference except for a bit of fit and finish, but the throttle response and temperament of the Stinger fit my driving style better. The Stinger has more power in the low RPM power band.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
Actually started out looking at an S5 Sportback, test drove both cars back to back and preferred the Stinger. As above, no discernable feature difference except for a bit of fit and finish, but the throttle response and temperament of the Stinger fit my driving style better. The Stinger has more power in the low RPM power band.
I recently checked out an S5 Sportback at a car show got to admit the interior fit and finish is excellent.

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT Limited
the interior fit and finish is excellent
I definitely prefer Audi's touch-less multimedia display and the control from the center console, that's very slick. The seats have a nicer finish on the sides and back :unsure:, I don't particularly like the vents running the full width of the dash, I like the aluminum looking trim that the Stingers come with better. The S5 sportback does have 6-pot calipers up front as well. All of that stuff, in my mind, is still pretty hard to justify the extra cost, it's almost $20k CDN more for a similarly specced car, you're really just paying for the badge.

Last edited: