Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

K&N Typhoon larger filters

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
So I've been rolling with the K&N typhoon for a month or so. First thing I noticed when I opened the box prior to install was that the cylinder filters don't actually appear to be that big. Compared to all the other intakes, the filters look smaller. It got me thinking about possibly tossing the ones that come with it for larger ones to allow for more flow. Problem is, I don't have deep pockets (If I did, I wouldn't have bought the best bang for the buck car and just gone for bang). Has anyone swapped out filters on the typhoon? Any idea as to what the dimensions of the new filter should be? I could always do some measurements and place guess, but if anyone has any recommendations, that would be much appreciated.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
It'll be trial and error getting larger one to fit in there, but I don't think you'll yield that much gain to be honest.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
changing the filter for a lager one will only increase the surface area; not much, if any gain to be made from that.

If you really want to increase gains, a piggyback chip like the JB4 is your best bang for your buck.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
I've been pondering this for awhile, but haven't gotten around to it. You'll only really max out the filters that came with it with fairly aggressive mods. Until you're pushing 500+HP, I wouldn't worry about larger filters.

Of course, once you ARE pushing more power, the increased surface area may net 1-2 more HP at the upper RPM ranges. Who knows, everyone's still searching for limitations on these things. [wrenchin]

OP
H
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
I am less concerned with Dem Gainz and more interested in helping the engine breathe better in general. The whole idea behind an intake is just that, to help it breathe, which should result in some increased power and higher FTD (Fun To Drive) factor. The K&N conical filters don't seem to have that much more surface area vs the originals for the car to pull air through, hence my thinking that larger filters would allow more air to flow when needed. I don't know if its just me or if its expected, but the hissing sound that is present at lower acceleration goes away completely at WOT, almost like it isn't getting enough air.

That said, I actually hear the BOV's now whereas before the install I never did.

It's not something I am looking to do right now to address a problem or deficiency, but it would be a relatively cheap and easy fix once the proper size was identified.