Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Genesis G70 will start at $35,895

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I wonder if this would end up hurting Stinger sales since both are fairly close in price

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I estimate that Genesis will only sell 30% of what the Stinger sells.

You have to remember that they don't have much of a dealer network put together.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
If lease deals are good enough, I think some will cross shop them and ultimately go with the 2.0T w/manual trans.

The BIG factor here is the availability of a 6spd tranny.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
$35,895 G70 vs. $32,900 Base Stinger is going to be a tough decision for some consumers considering the G70 has much more standard options.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
$35,895 G70 vs. $32,900 Base Stinger is going to be a tough decision for some consumers considering the G70 has much more standard options.
Hence the price and "luxury" aspect of the G70

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Genesis has really dropped the ball on rolling out the G70. I've barely seen any marketing material for this car.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I estimate that Genesis will only sell 30% of what the Stinger sells.

You have to remember that they don't have much of a dealer network put together.
Interesting I didn?t know that, I thought during the duration you can order and service them at Hyundai dealers.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Look they even have the side seat buttons that we got screwed over on.[hihi]

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
That interior looks really nice.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I have a feeling the G70 is going to steal a lot of future Stinger sales. A premium badge, a premium dealer/service experience (I'm guessing not many Genesis dealers yet now but there will be a lot more in the near future), slightly better performance, I'm guessing it will have all of the features that were missing on the Stinger including the fore and aft buttons on the front passenger seat for the rear passengers and a microsuede headliner. I'm betting the paint quality will be WAY better and all for a price which is (about) the same as the KIA Stinger? Now I do like the Stinger and still would like one but I still do believe the Stinger is overpriced by AT LEAST $5000. I do prefer the external looks and the hatchback design of the Stinger but the Stinger is now a VERY hard sell when compared to the G70. Especially when rumors from KIA is that they will have to raise the price of the Stinger more because of adding the features that should have been on the car in the first place.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Interesting I didn?t know that, I thought during the duration you can order and service them at Hyundai dealers.
Yes, you can buy and have your Genesis car serviced at Hyundai dealerships. I also remember reading somewhere that Genesis customers get their cars picked up and dropped off from home when getting serviced so Genesis owners don't have to go to a Hyundai dealership. They were at least working on that program a while ago so I'm guessing it's probably in effect by now.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
The base price is a bit higher in the G70 but to me the real kicker is the top end prices. Just clicking on the AWD option on a GT2 Stinger brings the price to $53,185.00. With a G70 3.3T Dynamic with AWD (the top option package) the price is..... $52,250.00. Somebody mentioned the higher starting price with the G70 because it's the luxury version of the two cars, where's that price/luxury aspect now?

I tried uploading a pricing chart of the G70 with all the option packages but the site won't let me so I'll try to post a link to another car site that has the chart.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/2019-genesis-g70-starts-34900-bmw-3-series/#lg=1&slide=4

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
The base price is a bit higher in the G70 but to me the real kicker is the top end prices. Just clicking on the AWD option on a GT2 Stinger brings the price to $53,185.00. With a G70 3.3T Dynamic with AWD (the top option package) the price is..... $52,250.00. Somebody mentioned the higher starting price with the G70 because it's the luxury version of the two cars, where's that price/luxury aspect now?

I tried uploading a pricing chart of the G70 with all the option packages but the site won't let me so I'll try to post a link to another car site that has the chart.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/2019-genesis-g70-starts-34900-bmw-3-series/#lg=1&slide=4
That's an interesting point you brought up.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Yes, you can buy and have your Genesis car serviced at Hyundai dealerships. I also remember reading somewhere that Genesis customers get their cars picked up and dropped off from home when getting serviced so Genesis owners don't have to go to a Hyundai dealership. They were at least working on that program a while ago so I'm guessing it's probably in effect by now.
First, this is NOT the case. I am a Hyundai dealer as well and none of this is accurate. Here is a quote from a source with Hyundai: "Under the plan, this person said, all Hyundai dealerships will be eligible to apply to become Genesis dealers. The roughly 350 elite-level dealerships that carried both the G80 and G90 sedans can continue to sell those products, or take settlement money that was previously offered and move on.

Those who become or remain Genesis dealers will be required to sign new or separate franchise agreements, though laws in some states may complicate this effort; the new agreements should be sent out by the end of this week, or next week.

Genesis confirmed that even under the new plan, all the new dealers will be required to have separate stores and service facilities just for Genesis."

So, many of the dealers will NOT sign a new franchise contract with Genesis because of having to build a new showroom and service facility for a new brand that will be a very low volume player.

This is also complete speculation.

First, the information that is being portrayed as full disclosure is only surface level and not from the source. If it's not from the horses mouth, it's not worth repeating. LOL

Second, that Dynamic AWD top trim WILL have at least one and probably two additional packages to add to it to truly be fully equip. You will find that a loaded G70 will be nearly $5,000 more than a Stinger and that's before the incentives that are available.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
First, this is NOT the case. I am a Hyundai dealer as well and none of this is accurate. Here is a quote from a source with Hyundai: "Under the plan, this person said, all Hyundai dealerships will be eligible to apply to become Genesis dealers. The roughly 350 elite-level dealerships that carried both the G80 and G90 sedans can continue to sell those products, or take settlement money that was previously offered and move on.

Those who become or remain Genesis dealers will be required to sign new or separate franchise agreements, though laws in some states may complicate this effort; the new agreements should be sent out by the end of this week, or next week.

Genesis confirmed that even under the new plan, all the new dealers will be required to have separate stores and service facilities just for Genesis."

So, many of the dealers will NOT sign a new franchise contract with Genesis because of having to build a new showroom and service facility for a new brand that will be a very low volume player."

"This is also complete speculation.

First, the information that is being portrayed as full disclosure is only surface level and not from the source. If it's not from the horses mouth, it's not worth repeating. LOL

Second, that Dynamic AWD top trim WILL have at least one and probably two additional packages to add to it to truly be fully equip. You will find that a loaded G70 will be nearly $5,000 more than a Stinger and that's before the incentives that are available.
On the first point, you would know about this WAY better than me. I'm just going by what I read over a year ago. I'd post a link but it was so long ago, I'd probably never find it. I apologize if I put out mis-information (it's not my intent to mislead people) but I just figured that since Genesis is now doing it's own thing separate from Hyundai, that there was going to be a transitional period and that Hyundai dealerships would still take care of Genesis vehicles. But I guess I'm wrong. If I read your info correctly, only Hyundai dealerships who are authorized to sell and service Genesis vehicles can do that. This may be a silly question but, what happens if you take your Genesis car for a roadtrip and it breaks down in an area where only a Hyundai only dealership/service center exists? Is Genesis going to authorize that service center to fix the car or are they going to tow it to the nearest Genesis service center regardless of distance?

On the second point of pricing, the article said the pricing was confirmed by Hyundai so I'm not sure why you think this is speculation. I'm sure Hyundai could change the pricing later if they wanted to but this was confirmed by Hyundai. As for higher end options, yeah, they could do that too. From what I've been reading so far though, a lot of the features that people wanted on the top spec Stinger is available on some of the mid to upper level 3.3T G70's.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
On the first point, you would know about this WAY better than me. I'm just going by what I read over a year ago. I'd post a link but it was so long ago, I'd probably never find it. I apologize if I put out mis-information (it's not my intent to mislead people) but I just figured that since Genesis is now doing it's own thing separate from Hyundai, that there was going to be a transitional period and that Hyundai dealerships would still take care of Genesis vehicles. But I guess I'm wrong. If I read your info correctly, only Hyundai dealerships who are authorized to sell and service Genesis vehicles can do that. This may be a silly question but, what happens if you take your Genesis car for a roadtrip and it breaks down in an area where only a Hyundai only dealership/service center exists? Is Genesis going to authorize that service center to fix the car or are they going to tow it to the nearest Genesis service center regardless of distance?

On the second point of pricing, the article said the pricing was confirmed by Hyundai so I'm not sure why you think this is speculation. I'm sure Hyundai could change the pricing later if they wanted to but this was confirmed by Hyundai. As for higher end options, yeah, they could do that too. From what I've been reading so far though, a lot of the features that people wanted on the top spec Stinger is available on some of the mid to upper level 3.3T G70's.
Hey [MENTION=127]stinger1168[/MENTION], you're good man! LOL

The answer to your question is that they will have it towed to the nearest Genesis dealer IF it's still under warranty. After the warranty period expires, then a Hyundai dealer could service it. It's the same way for an Infiniti/Nissan, Acura/Honda, or Lexus/Toyota dealer.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Hey [MENTION=127]stinger1168[/MENTION], you're good man! LOL

The answer to your question is that they will have it towed to the nearest Genesis dealer IF it's still under warranty. After the warranty period expires, then a Hyundai dealer could service it. It's the same way for an Infiniti/Nissan, Acura/Honda, or Lexus/Toyota dealer.
Thanks:) You're great as well. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that you're a good guy and a massive wealth of information. We're happy you're here:) Thanks for the info.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thanks:) You're great as well. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that you're a good guy and a massive wealth of information. We're happy you're here:) Thanks for the info.
You're very welcome! And I'm just a dude. That's it.

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
I just think the stinger is more of beautiful design for the same platform and genesis / hyundai design language is so lost and bland it won't help it be successful. Like sometimes I wonder what my stinger would be like handling wise being shorter around a 3 series, so I suspect the handling of the G70 will be great. But in all honesty if Kia offered a shorter and longer versions of the stinger like Genesis trying to take on bmw/mercedes/lux markets it would be largely more successful than Genesis is out of the gate.

Hell if they bought say Alfa Romeo or maserati and the G70-G90's where sold as either brand they would've been huge in a short period of time. I think the future of the auto industry is keeping one brand with a huge model range like KIA is doing by offering the rio to the K900 because it adds value to volume sales.

I work in communications and marketing and I'm telling you right now the brand is DOA. To make things worst by separating Genesis from hyundai they sunk the brand value of hyundai over night. That's why hyundai dealers can't afford to let the brand go to it's own network, all be it be expensive to create a network for a brand that's not proven.

They should've kept Genesis in hyundai , bought one of the Italian brands ( or even save/rescued SAAB) to be the high end brand to fight the germans. If they owned a legacy brand with the money and might they have they would be killing it. Genesis is a lost cause and a waste of time.

Our stingers are better Alfa Romeos for half the cost. Imagine if the Genesis's wore the those badges it would be huge over night success. It's going to take billions of dollars just to get people looking for deals to come in to check out the models. The new TV commercial they just rolled out is as bad as Caddy's is and doesn't say anything. Because there's nothing to say. At least before people go ok, it's hyundai, there's some value and they come a long way. Genesis means less than both hyundai and Kia does. Then you throw in the consumers who liked the genesis coupe who were turned off when it was killed thus killing any sports branding associated with hyundai. Those buyers were camero /civic WRX demo guys. It's such a mess, it's amazing after the dealer fiasco that they keep this project going. I would pump the brakes and go write a check and set up a meeting with FCA. That would be a win-win for both companies.