Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Transmission Upper Power Limit

Around what wheel horsepower will the transmission become a weak link?

• ~400WHP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~450WHP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~500WHP

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • ~600WHP

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Asking for a friend.

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #3
No way to know that. LOL

Push the limits and let me know when it breaks.
That's the point: trying to keep it anonymous, lol... Someone has to have pushed the limits hard enough, but I'm hoping they're around to cast their vote until we start seeing where all the votes show up. Don't want people exposing themselves damaging their transmissions with 600HP [deviltail]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
All I did was added a drop in filter and the transmission broke lol.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Hahahahaha

Well, the tuners that are taking these things apart say that the internals of the drivetrain are built pretty stout.

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #6
All I did was added a drop in filter and the transmission broke lol.
And I bet you babied it and never exceeded the speed limit, right? Drove in Eco mode only [tongue]

Hahahahaha

Well, the tuners that are taking these things apart say that the internals of the drivetrain are built pretty stout.
Eventually, someone will come forth about their friend's cousin's distant relative's Stinger GT that was running NOS on the dyno and blew the transmission apart at 700WHP [paranoid]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
From what ive been seeing tuners have been getting stingers to over 450whp without any issues so id say 500 is probably not an issue either. Possibly nearing the 550range+ might but I've yet to see results getting that high yet

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2, 2004 MSM
WHP will not break the transmission. Torque is the problem. A 600 whp, 450 ft/lb car is a lot less likely to break the tranny than a 600 whp, 650 ft/lb car. We've seen the ECU torque limiter set to around 500 ft/lb. It's going to take bigger turbos and full ECU tuning with the torque limiters removed before we find out.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
This topic is not a poll to discuss.
It is an engineering question.
And KIA would not say (and rightly so) to protect warranty.

So we only have speculation until a statistically significant number of trannys fail...

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
You could do a pull at 500 ft lbs and be fine. H*ll, you could do a pull at 700 ft lbs and be fine. Reliability may be the underlying issue here. Consistent pulls will tell us what it can handle. No car is at it's limit from the factory besides my beloved '94 Impala SS. Trans was rated for 360 ft lbs max; it came out of the factory with 330 ft lbs. Tranny failures were highly common before 100k miles which is why I had to rebuild it 3 times in 232k miles LOL RIP

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
Someone in another forum posted that, from a document originating from Kia, the transmission is rated to 1000 Nm (737 lb ft)

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I hope you are correct!
That would be very encouraging.

Can you please post the document?