Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

2.0 Engine, possibe over heating issue

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
All 2.0 owners should keep an eye out on their water hose to make sure its not leaking. Here are some picture shared by Greg Maga on FB.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Scary, thanks for sharing.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Will do thanks Pavel

GregM

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
<IMPORTANT UPDATE>

I just got back my car from the dealership and I am just starting to connect the dots.
Back in February I left my Stinger for scheduled maintenance at KIA Glendale,CA.
I asked them to check and perform all the open TSB at the time.
One of those open TSB was the SA333 "Theta 2.0L turbo AFT warmer connector replacement".
When I picked up my car back in February, the invoice listed SA333 as "completed" (see scan of the invoice attached).

Last week, my Stinger engine overheated and has been towed to KIA Alhambra where they looked into the issue.
I found out this morning that my car is ready and that the problem was a pipe leak that caused the engine to overheat.
The pipe leak is directly related to this SA333 which KIA Alhambra service performed (replaced the pipe and seals/o-rings).
It could have been worse (head gasket or melted heads).

What I am trying to understand now is if the first dealer (KIA Glendale, February 2018) lied and did not perform the service action or if the instructions they were given back then by KIA did not solve the problem (are there any differences between the SA333 from February and now?).

I encourage every 2.0T owner to have this issue taken care of as soon as possible, as it WILL eventually result in coolant leakage sooner or later and potentially much bigger engine issues.

One last word about it: this incident does not make me feel much trust in KIA and their dealership network.
This is my first KIA and, if both KIA Corporate and their dealership network attitude does not change, it will be the last.

PS: KIA Corporate never contacted me back despite making an open claim on their website.

Bill KIA Alhambra (forum2).jpg
Bill KIA Glendale (forum).jpg

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
Thanks [MENTION=395]GregM[/MENTION], I also had SA333 performed on mine so I will keep an eye on the hoses. Was there sufficient leak to see a puddle on the ground?

<IMPORTANT UPDATE>

I just got back my car from the dealership and I am just starting to connect the dots.
Back in February I left my Stinger for scheduled maintenance at KIA Glendale,CA.
I asked them to check and perform all the open TSB at the time.
One of those open TSB was the SA333 "Theta 2.0L turbo AFT warmer connector replacement".
When I picked up my car back in February, the invoice listed SA333 as "completed" (see scan of the invoice attached).

Last week, my Stinger engine overheated and has been towed to KIA Alhambra where they looked into the issue.
I found out this morning that my car is ready and that the problem was a pipe leak that caused the engine to overheat.
The pipe leak is directly related to this SA333 which KIA Alhambra service performed (replaced the pipe and seals/o-rings).
It could have been worse (head gasket or melted heads).

What I am trying to understand now is if the first dealer (KIA Glendale, February 2018) lied and did not perform the service action or if the instructions they were given back then by KIA did not solve the problem (are there any differences between the SA333 from February and now?).

I encourage every 2.0T owner to have this issue taken care of as soon as possible, as it WILL eventually result in coolant leakage sooner or later and potentially much bigger engine issues.

One last word about it: this incident does not make me feel much trust in KIA and their dealership network.
This is my first KIA and, if both KIA Corporate and their dealership network attitude does not change, it will be the last.

PS: KIA Corporate never contacted me back despite making an open claim on their website.

View attachment 1365
View attachment 1366

GregM

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
No but there was a sufficient leak to drain all the fluid.

Coolant Level below minimum.JPG
Coolant traces in engine bay.JPG

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I hope Kia gets back to you so that you can ask them if there were any changes to SA333. It wouldn't be surprised me if the SA has changed. Hopefully the overheat wasn't serious enough to cause engine damage.

GregM

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
The service advisor said that the engine is fine. I wish I could access to the ECU temperature log to check it myself.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger

Sorry to hear about your issues [MENTION=395]GregM[/MENTION] and I don't blame you for being upset. I would feel the exactly the same if it happened to me. Thanks for getting the word out to all of us.

Mimi1

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger Premium
Is there a letter that is sent out for the TSB SA333? I haven't received any notice.

GregM

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
No. It?s a ?SA? (Service Action), something that your dealership is supposed to perform when you bring your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Mimi1

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger Premium
No. It?s a ?SA? (Service Action), something that your dealership is supposed to perform when you bring your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Thank you.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Thanks for the headsup [MENTION=395]GregM[/MENTION]

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
i had a leak somewhere with 3.3, overheat my car like 10times to get home(1.5km away), i wait 1min every time for it to return to normal temp, engine probably damage, been at dealer for 2days now, hopefully ill get some answer tomorrow, hope it will last 4 more years(finance) for me to sell or trade this shit.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
i had a leak somewhere with 3.3, overheat my car like 10times to get home(1.5km away), i wait 1min every time for it to return to normal temp, engine probably damage, been at dealer for 2days now, hopefully ill get some answer tomorrow, hope it will last 4 more years(finance) for me to sell or trade this shit.
Why not just sell it now?

lrvanallen

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KiaStinger Premium
Thanks for sharing. Will go online right now and look for any other TSBs reported on this 2.0 engine.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
That's amazing the car went from being overheated needle on "H" to normal engine temp in 1 minute. Oh wait no, that would be impossible. Maybe your gauge is broken