Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Sunset Yellow Kia Stinger Repaint Process

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Pretty extensive repainting process on the part of Kia, everything is stripped down to the metal. All the glass, plastic trims and plastic body pieces are removed before the car is repainted.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
That looks like a major job!

I think if that were my car and I was a bit paranoid, I'd be concerned about two things:
- 1.) Finding little yellow spots where there shouldn't be little yellow spots
- 2.) If the paint on the areas rubbed down didn't adhere properly, what about all the other yellow areas that aren't rubbed down?, e.g. behind the rear bumper, inside the doors, underbody sections etc.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
That looks like a major job!

I think if that were my car and I was a bit paranoid, I'd be concerned about two things:
- 1.) Finding little yellow spots where there shouldn't be little yellow spots
- 2.) If the paint on the areas rubbed down didn't adhere properly, what about all the other yellow areas that aren't rubbed down?, e.g. behind the rear bumper, inside the doors, underbody sections etc.
I remember someone mentioned that the rear bumpers and any plastic painted pieces were left alone because there were no paint issues. It would make me worry about paint matching.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
I?d hope that on a new car where the paint hasn?t had a chance to fade yet, that the colour match should be good.
I was more intererested in the sections beside and below the tailgate in picture #3.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
What color was the car originally?

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
ahhhh

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
So sad to see that

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Haven't seen my sunset yellow in two in and half weeks and dealer won't return my messages or tell me where it's being repainted... Starting to get really concerned since this looks like a major job.

I hope they get the whole body of the car, but I'd look to be involved in the process. I don't feel comfortable with the "it's done when it's done" thing, even though I would understand why they would prefer that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
That?s my car that?s stripped down, should be getting painted next week. They still need to sand down the rest of the roof rails and along the back glass near the top. I?m feeling pretty good about this as long as the car is cleaned up properly and the match is spot on. Looking forward to the $5K inconvenience check from KIA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
This was week one

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
That?s my car that?s stripped down, should be getting painted next week. They still need to sand down the rest of the roof rails and along the back glass near the top. I?m feeling pretty good about this as long as the car is cleaned up properly and the match is spot on. Looking forward to the $5K inconvenience check from KIA.

Are they giving you a loaner too while it?s being repainted?

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Are they giving you a loaner too while it?s being repainted?
Yep, brand new Kia Sorrento.......

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Lucky, my dealer sent me to Next car for a rental... They gave me a rusted and dented Camry with stained cloth seats.

Kind of miffed by that.
Yep, brand new Kia Sorrento.......

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
my stinger currently has a case open because i was unsatisfied with the quality of the repaint. i have multiple issues as well as clear coat overspray on all the glass which you can see at night the most, on the mirrors and taillights. rough edges in all the wheel wells on the edge of the hood. paint drips in the door sills, and it looks like all the vents were put on while the paint was setting and had peeled and rippled in the corners. i was supposed to send it back to the collision shop to have my issues addressed, but while i was waiting i called kia and they seemed pretty concerened the dealer let it go to me like that and i was advised not to send it back until they call me back this week with a plan, possible buyback/vehicle swap. ill know more next week[rockon]

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Haven't seen my sunset yellow in two in and half weeks and dealer won't return my messages or tell me where it's being repainted... Starting to get really concerned since this looks like a major job.

I hope they get the whole body of the car, but I'd look to be involved in the process. I don't feel comfortable with the "it's done when it's done" thing, even though I would understand why they would prefer that.

i think if its warranty work it has to be done in like two weeks max... says so in the warranty book I'm pretty sure

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
my stinger currently has a case open because i was unsatisfied with the quality of the repaint. i have multiple issues as well as clear coat overspray on all the glass which you can see at night the most, on the mirrors and taillights. rough edges in all the wheel wells on the edge of the hood. paint drips in the door sills, and it looks like all the vents were put on while the paint was setting and had peeled and rippled in the corners. i was supposed to send it back to the collision shop to have my issues addressed, but while i was waiting i called kia and they seemed pretty concerened the dealer let it go to me like that and i was advised not to send it back until they call me back this week with a plan, possible buyback/vehicle swap. ill know more next week[rockon]
I would be upset too. Goodluck with the case, hopefully they'll do a swap for you.