Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Should I get a second car?

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
So, I figured I'd reach out to this community to catch everyone's opinion on a good course of action...

While my Stinger GT is getting painted, I've been thinking about getting a second car for commuting. I currently drive over 30k miles a year and my Stinger is in a 10k a year lease. You guys can clearly see the problem here. I do intend to most likely keep the car at the end of the lease, guy I'd rather not put all that mileage on the car anyways...

I will have about 5k dollars to play with. I was thinking about buying an Acura CL/TL, Honda Accord Coupe V6, or a Honda Prelude SH, all in manual.

The problem is, I can't get anymore parking permits for my household within my HOA; we've already maxed out the house allowance for permits... I can park the vehicle in a general parking lot across the street, but I don't feel comfortable with it being that far out of sight

Should I buy a commuter car or invest the money in a mutual fund for the duration of the lease term to overcome the depreciation?

Any other ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Save it for mods.[biggrin]

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Any particular reasons for choosing those cars? Why not a fun hatchback?[biggrin]

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
I need something reliable. I'm not opposed to getting a hatchback, love hatchbacks, actually.

I need something reliable with high mileage because that's really all I can find that's 5k dollars or less. Working on a shoe string budget.

Modifications are not a viable option for me.

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
Find a 2003 or newer V6 Accord Coupe, those are amazing cars. We had nearly 170k problem free miles on ours before we sold it.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
I'm definitely leaning towards the Accord. What about the Altima See?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I'm definitely leaning towards the Accord. What about the Altima See?

Only if you can find one with a manual otherwise the CVT transmission are awful.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #9
I am exclusively looking for manuals.
Only if you can find one with a manual otherwise the CVT transmission are awful.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Have a look at the Infiniti G35 as well.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #12
Are older Gs and Nissan's with manuals reliable above 150k miles? My biggest concern is finding one in the right price range so I can daily commute it. I expect to put on close to 20k a year on it.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Are older Gs and Nissan's with manuals reliable above 150k miles? My biggest concern is finding one in the right price range so I can daily commute it. I expect to put on close to 20k a year on it.

They are very reliable and unlike Hondas they having timing chains that are good for the life of the engine, the clutch will normally last for about 100k miles.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Have you decided which car? My vote is for the Infiniti or Z.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #15
I'm thinking it may be best to use the money to pay bills. The inconvenience of having to park a second car that my HOA will throw a fit over may be too much.