Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

GT owners, who's gotten their rotors turned from noise or vibrations?

GT owners, who's gotten their rotors turned from noise or vibrations?

• Yes for noise

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Yes for vibrations

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Yes for both noise and vibrations

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No issues

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
I see lots of GT owners with Brembo brakes having issues with noise or vibrations. I've had to take mine in twice of noise issues. Anyone else having these issues?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
No issues yet, thank goodness. Just hit 2k

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I had issues with vibrations with high speed braking well under 1k miles

I have an appointment next saturday for this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Had my brakes services for vibrations as well. Wonder if some of us had a bad batch for brakes.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
My rotors warped and I got them replaced and now they are warped again. I ordered a set of performance rotors from Vivid Racing but they are now saying they don't know when they will have them in stock so i cancelled the order. The fact is the rotors are undersized for the weight of the car. My use is very 'normal' and I have not demanded anything special of them like I would when I was younger. I used to take my VW flat out down a long exit ramp then stand on the brakes from 115mph to 30 mph at the limit of adhesion and they never warped. My bet is Eurospec cars have more robust rotors. Not bigger diameter but better materials or more mass.
I am waiting for the news that the rotors are coming in and then I'll reorder them. Maybe KIA will recall them soon. Once a pattern of failures is established that can happen.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
No issue with brakes with under 200 miles.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I think I'm going to have to bring mine in to get turned soon.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Maybe KIA will recall them soon. Once a pattern of failures is established that can happen.
they won't recall unless it's a safety issue. they might put out a TSB though

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
I just turned 9000 miles and mine are vibrating pretty bad. Called the dealership and they said they couldn't even look at my car until after the New year holiday.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
I'm not sure, but it seems that is the case. Never had this issue on any other car with Brembos before including Porsche and Nissan GTR.
If this is an issue with the rotors, then it's a bit disappointing that they didn't pair the Brembos with better rotors ...
Maybe I just need to replace them with something better and avoid the inevitable.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I'm not sure, but it seems that is the case. Never had this issue on any other car with Brembos before including Porsche and Nissan GTR.
If this is an issue with the rotors, then it's a bit disappointing that they didn't pair the Brembos with better rotors ...
Maybe I just need to replace them with something better and avoid the inevitable.
That was my thought, but Brembo doesn't even list anything for the Stinger on their website. I just hit 8500 miles and they are bad. Crossing my fingers that I can get it in soon

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
i think my replaced rotors are warping now. will report back after i do some high speed braking during lunch

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
Did you do a full bed/break in cycle when you got the car back?

In general:
Bedding-in Street Performance Pads
For a typical performance brake system using street-performance pads, a series of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, will typically raise the temperature of the brake components sufficiently to be considered one bed-in set. Each of the ten partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80 to 90% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.
Depending on the make-up of the pad material, the brake friction will seem to gain slightly in performance, and will then lose or fade somewhat by around the fifth stop (also about the time that a friction smell will be detectable in the passenger compartment). This does not indicate that the brakes are bedded-in. This phenomenon is known as a green fade, as it is characteristic of immature or ?green' pads, in which the resins still need to be driven out of the pad material, at the point where the pads meet the rotors. In this circumstance, the upper temperature limit of the friction material will not yet have been reached.
As when bedding-in any set of brakes, care should be taken regarding the longer stopping distance necessary with incompletely bedded pads. This first set of stops in the bed-in process is only complete when all ten stops have been performed - not before. The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied. After cooling the vehicle, a second set of ten partial braking events should be performed, followed by another cooling exercise. In some situations, a third set is beneficial, but two are normally sufficient.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Did you do a full bed/break in cycle when you got the car back?

In general:
Bedding-in Street Performance Pads
For a typical performance brake system using street-performance pads, a series of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, will typically raise the temperature of the brake components sufficiently to be considered one bed-in set. Each of the ten partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80 to 90% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.
Depending on the make-up of the pad material, the brake friction will seem to gain slightly in performance, and will then lose or fade somewhat by around the fifth stop (also about the time that a friction smell will be detectable in the passenger compartment). This does not indicate that the brakes are bedded-in. This phenomenon is known as a green fade, as it is characteristic of immature or ?green' pads, in which the resins still need to be driven out of the pad material, at the point where the pads meet the rotors. In this circumstance, the upper temperature limit of the friction material will not yet have been reached.
As when bedding-in any set of brakes, care should be taken regarding the longer stopping distance necessary with incompletely bedded pads. This first set of stops in the bed-in process is only complete when all ten stops have been performed - not before. The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied. After cooling the vehicle, a second set of ten partial braking events should be performed, followed by another cooling exercise. In some situations, a third set is beneficial, but two are normally sufficient.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

my issue with this is it's not in the owners manual to do this, my service tech didn't tell me to do this when i had the rotors replaced.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
my issue with this is it's not in the owners manual to do this, my service tech didn't tell me to do this when i had the rotors replaced.
It HAS to be done. Anytime you cut rotors and replace pads (and they should have when they cut the rotors).

And here?s the best part folks about bedding your pads. It doesn?t hurt you to do this. Do it every 6 months or if the breaks feel like they aren?t grabbing. . Find a nice open parking lot (college / tech schools on sat am are perfect). You can cost in circles on the cooling cycles without stopping.

I don?t give a rats ass if it isn?t in the manual.

Not doing this WILL create deposit issues.

This isn?t some new thing.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Anyone had this done twice? Seems like the noise is starting to creep back on mine, currently at 7k miles.