Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger Transmission Software TSB non-shift by wire models

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Giving a heads-up there's a transmission software recall for non-shift by wire models.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Giving a heads-up there's a transmission software recall for non-shift by wire models.
This is NOT a recall but a service bulletin.

A recall is designated as a safety concern, a service bulletin is an update that the factory has decided to make on it's own.

There are no safety issues regarding the update of software to the TCU.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Interesting, [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] anymore details on the specifics of this TSB?

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Here's more details on it.

Kia Stinger SA341
This bulletin provides the procedure to improve the logic of the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) on some 2018MY Stinger (CK) 2.0T and 3.3T vehicles, equipped with Shift-by-Cable (SBC) and produced from September 29, 2017 through February 7, 2018. These vehicles may experience improper 1st gear engagement when moving the shifter in a fast or abrupt manner from "Park" to "Sport Mode". To correct this condition, apply the improved logic to the TCU using the KDS ECU Upgrade function as described in this bulletin. To confirm that the latest reflash has been applied to vehicle you are working on, verify the ROM ID using the table on page 2 of this bulletin. Before conducting the procedure, verify that the vehicle is included in the list of affected VINs.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Based on the date range it looks like mine is affected.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
"Move from Park to Sport"
What does that mean?
I go from park to drive and then to Sport after I am moving - is that why I don't see any abrupt engagement?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
"Move from Park to Sport"
What does that mean?
I go from park to drive and then to Sport after I am moving - is that why I don't see any abrupt engagement?
I think they only meant if you do it really fast and not let the 1st gear properly engage for you start rolling.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I think they only meant if you do it really fast and not let the 1st gear properly engage for you start rolling.
Correct.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Makes sense.
Thanks!