Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Dyno results : Stock vs K&N Typhoon on 3.3TT

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Sorry it took so long to get these up as I promised some of you but better late than never right.

Ok so I've been seeing some WHP numbers creeping up on Kia's crank numbers which is great but I had to know for myself and my Ride n Die so to the dyno she went. Now I know this is a dynojet which are known to inflate but I'll take these number's and in hopes of my next bolt on or removal I'll be pushing out 400lbs!

Top sheet is bone stock. Bottom is stock vs K&N. Very happy with nice smooth line.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
So you got a little over 12WHP from the K&N Intake. It's nice to know that they were conservative with their dyno, lol

Though, the bone stock hitting 356WHP is a little strange indeed... Dynojets are putting out dyno numbers rating the Stinger GT at well over 400HP stock. I don't know whether that's underrated from Kia or dynojet inflation going nuts with the Stinger's turbos coming online too soon [rofl]

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
[MENTION=551]Alpha_Sting1[/MENTION] thanks for sharing. Does EuropCharged offer tuning for the Stinger? I've read they do really good work.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Interesting to see the stock whp that high. Still 12whp for the intakes on a stock tune is fantastic. Those number would be much better with a few more mods and custom tuning.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
So you got a little over 12WHP from the K&N Intake. It's nice to know that they were conservative with their dyno, lol

Though, the bone stock hitting 356WHP is a little strange indeed... Dynojets are putting out dyno numbers rating the Stinger GT at well over 400HP stock. I don't know whether that's underrated from Kia or dynojet inflation going nuts with the Stinger's turbos coming online too soon [rofl]
Plans are to Mustang it so we shall see.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #6
[MENTION=551]Alpha_Sting1[/MENTION] thanks for sharing. Does EuropCharged offer tuning for the Stinger? I've read they do really good work.
Unfortunately no, they only tune the likes of BMW, AMG, Lambos, Ferrari, Audi etc.. Nothing for us but the dyno.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
Interesting to see the stock whp that high. Still 12whp for the intakes on a stock tune is fantastic. Those number would be much better with a few more mods and custom tuning.
Yeah a bit interesting as to why I'll Mustang it to see if there's a happy medium but hopefully there won't be one.

WestCDA

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT Limited AWD
Wow. Thanks for posting, but from those graphs it looks like changing to the Typhoon setup really saps power in the lower RPMs.

At 3K RPM, the stock intake is pretty much up at the peak torque number around 390 lb/ft., but the K&N graph is barely past 200. At the same RPM HP is about 100 lower - seems like quite a hefty low end penalty for the modest top end gains? :(

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Wow. Thanks for posting, but from those graphs it looks like changing to the Typhoon setup really saps power in the lower RPMs.

At 3K RPM, the stock intake is pretty much up at the peak torque number around 390 lb/ft., but the K&N graph is barely past 200. At the same RPM HP is about 100 lower - seems like quite a hefty low end penalty for the modest top end gains? :(
Most intakes do: a factory intake is a lower flow volume which makes drawing air through the intake easier. Think of how you breath versus if you forced yourself through a straw. If you inhale slowly, the air coming in the straw is going to be faster than if you breathe in slowly from your mouth at the same rate (it's very hard to breathe consistently, btw, lol). An intake makes the straw bigger, so if you inhale at the same rate through a bigger straw, the air comes in slower than the smaller straw. But once you start inhaling really hard, you can get more air in from the bigger straw than the smaller one since there's less volume restriction. Thus, at low RPMs, air is able to enter the engine at a higher velocity giving you that "pep". However, once the RPMs start getting up there, you would theoretically want nothing in the way at all since a stock airbox will start to struggle with volume like the smaller straw. From the factory, engineers tend to favor lower RPMs for that "pep", but are still balanced enough to produce power throughout the band. The car is then tuned with this in mind.

I've seen most intakes correlate to a decrease in lower RPM power in exchange for a greater gain in the higher RPMs. With the Stinger, this is where tuning comes in. I don't expect an intake to make much power until tuned since from the factory, I doubt the ECU will increase boost on its own if at all. Where I got caught off guard was that the factory intake was designed well enough that an aftermarket intake alone doesn't have the gains one might want from a TT engine.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Great numbers bro.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #11
Most intakes do: a factory intake is a lower flow volume which makes drawing air through the intake easier. Think of how you breath versus if you forced yourself through a straw. If you inhale slowly, the air coming in the straw is going to be faster than if you breathe in slowly from your mouth at the same rate (it's very hard to breathe consistently, btw, lol). An intake makes the straw bigger, so if you inhale at the same rate through a bigger straw, the air comes in slower than the smaller straw. But once you start inhaling really hard, you can get more air in from the bigger straw than the smaller one since there's less volume restriction. Thus, at low RPMs, air is able to enter the engine at a higher velocity giving you that "pep". However, once the RPMs start getting up there, you would theoretically want nothing in the way at all since a stock airbox will start to struggle with volume like the smaller straw. From the factory, engineers tend to favor lower RPMs for that "pep", but are still balanced enough to produce power throughout the band. The car is then tuned with this in mind.

I've seen most intakes correlate to a decrease in lower RPM power in exchange for a greater gain in the higher RPMs. With the Stinger, this is where tuning comes in. I don't expect an intake to make much power until tuned since from the factory, I doubt the ECU will increase boost on its own if at all. Where I got caught off guard was that the factory intake was designed well enough that an aftermarket intake alone doesn't have the gains one might want from a TT engine.
Good word