Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

PLEASE HELP - Front Strut Removal

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
GT2 AWD Ceramic Sliver / Red Nappa
I am trying to remove the front struts to install my lowering springs (rears already done, rear sway done).

The strut doesn't have two bolts at the bottom to undo like most other cars I have worked on. Instead, the bottom of the strut slides down a sleeve into place and must be lifted out to be removed. The height of the strut prevents it from being lifted high enough to be removed that way. Also, the shape of the wheel well doesn't allow the strut to be tilted out and removed that way.

I am at a complete loss. Whatever amount of money I saved by doing this myself wasn't worth it, and I have done plenty of wrenching and have all the tools I could need.

If you know how to deal with this, please reply, or better yet, call me. 303-912-8187. I'll be in the garage banging my head against the wall.

Please hold back all the "Thats why I dont do suspension work at home" comments... This is like one of those impossible puzzles with the two nails bent around each other.

JAYP

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I am trying to remove the front struts to install my lowering springs (rears already done, rear sway done).

The strut doesn't have two bolts at the bottom to undo like most other cars I have worked on. Instead, the bottom of the strut slides down a sleeve into place and must be lifted out to be removed. The height of the strut prevents it from being lifted high enough to be removed that way. Also, the shape of the wheel well doesn't allow the strut to be tilted out and removed that way.

I am at a complete loss. Whatever amount of money I saved by doing this myself wasn't worth it, and I have done plenty of wrenching and have all the tools I could need.

If you know how to deal with this, please reply, or better yet, call me. 303-912-8187. I'll be in the garage banging my head against the wall.

Please hold back all the "Thats why I dont do suspension work at home" comments... This is like one of those impossible puzzles with the two nails bent around each other.
I just had my Eibach Pro springs and F&R sway bars installed yesterday Friday at Houston Performance Solutions here in Texas. Maybe call a shop in your area for info. Put on a helmet and take 2 aspirin. I went to Break Check today to get a Lifetime alignment for $145. They said that their computer did Not have my settings. They will call Monday to get a update. The car handles much better now. Here are some pics before and after. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Let me add [MENTION=565]Hungtran505[/MENTION] to this post, maybe he can assist.

OP
S
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
GT2 AWD Ceramic Sliver / Red Nappa
Thread Starter #4
[MENTION=565]Hungtran505[/MENTION] gave me a call and was a huge help! Thank you!

The front tie rod and both control arms need to be taken off before the shock can be slid out of the sleeve it sits in. If you get that far, it helps to have something to pry apart the sleeve that the strut slides into to release the tension. This was a serious PITA. Back really isn't too bad. The rear sway bar was a bit difficult with one bolt VERY hard to reach, even with air tools it was tough. I did all of this solo, aside from a friends help for about an hour (which I sorely needed). If you do try this, there are some parts that will require 2 people (supporting the knuckle after tie rod, control arms, and strut have been removed). It took me about 13 hours with a lunch break.

All said and done, I would never do this again. Even if someone paid me... a lot. No way. Take it to a shop.

Again, thanks to those who helped me out. What a great community of Stinger owners!!!

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Wow that's awesome, this is a great community

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
[MENTION=565]Hungtran505[/MENTION] gave me a call and was a huge help! Thank you!

The front tie rod and both control arms need to be taken off before the shock can be slid out of the sleeve it sits in. If you get that far, it helps to have something to pry apart the sleeve that the strut slides into to release the tension. This was a serious PITA. Back really isn't too bad. The rear sway bar was a bit difficult with one bolt VERY hard to reach, even with air tools it was tough. I did all of this solo, aside from a friends help for about an hour (which I sorely needed). If you do try this, there are some parts that will require 2 people (supporting the knuckle after tie rod, control arms, and strut have been removed). It took me about 13 hours with a lunch break.

All said and done, I would never do this again. Even if someone paid me... a lot. No way. Take it to a shop.

Again, thanks to those who helped me out. What a great community of Stinger owners!!!
Excellent, glad to hear this. He's an awesome guy.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Well shi- I planned on doing this myself in the garage as well. I've been peaking around down there planning it out, and I also noticed the front lacked the two bolts at the bottom that I'm also used to on MacPhersons. It also eliminates the possibility of a camber bolt which is making me consider just doing the sways and waiting until a decent pair of coilovers hits the market so that I can have adjustable camber via the strut mount top plate.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
How did it turned out? Post up some pics.