Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Well, I finally did it...

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #21
I dont really change modes on the RC but switch between comfort and sport on the car. I only run 92 or 93 octane fuel.

I'm really happy with it, my only complaints are the wire routing (be careful to ensure wires and hot parts don't touch, seems obvious but...) and the fact that I feel like I need to remove it for an oil change at the dealer. It only takes 5 minutes but it's still annoying.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Do you think, in hindsight, that you would consider doing a permanent ECU flash instead?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
No. Haha, I like the option to change it and take it out completely if I want. What if you don't like the ECU flash you choose? Is it that much better?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
First are looks; LED reflectors, scuff plates, door handle pockets, cup holders....

Then the intakes from Tork and a tune. I haven't decided yet which tune I want. LOL Thinking about an ECU but hard to part with the dough for the spare ECU. Leaning heavily to the RaceChip.
You are better off staying with the factory air boxes, as the filters will have protection from the high air temperatures inside the engine bay. Also the factory air boxes have tubes that draw air directly form the front of the car.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Congratulations

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #25
You are better off staying with the factory air boxes, as the filters will have protection from the high air temperatures inside the engine bay. Also the factory air boxes have tubes that draw air directly form the front of the car.
[MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION], you think so? Is the heat sink that bad? Have you noticed an issue with yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 StingerGT2 AWD
Congrats Murlinator. Love that color. The dealer I bought my Ceramic Silver GT2 Had a 2.0 in that color, and it is awesome in person.

You were asking about drop-in filters in the factory box vs. Cold Air Intakes. I have done a bunch of this with previous cars including the current GT2, and from my experience, a GOOD quality drop in with this design works just fine on the Lambda 3.3. The factory box is a very good design giving plenty of outside air flow. Living here in Florida, and stop and go traffic they seem to work best. In my previous Ford Fusion and Focus ST I did a comparison between multiple designed COIs and drop-ins on a dyno and only 1 or 2 COI's were better than factory box and Good drop-ins. Both only on the Fusion as the Focus ST had a very good box design too. I ended up with a Steeda COI for the Fusion (Still have it in the box along with other Fusion perf parts if anyone is interested in it).

I like the fact that you went with the yellow (Cop Magnet) color though. My Focus ST was "Tangerine Scream" and it was a fun color.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION], you think so? Is the heat sink that bad? Have you noticed an issue with yours?

Absolutely, you will be effectively removing any heat shielding form the filters and exposing the new filters to all the heat produced by the engine inside the engine bay. Warmer air is less dense, and thus contains less oxygen to burn fuel in, therefore reducing performance.

Personally I don't have the tork intakes, I went with the JT CAI kit (JonnyTig) only true CAI currently available for the Stinger.

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
Nice!

-Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
About time MurlinatoR, beautiful car.

I chose to go with JB4, mainly for the ongoing support from Terry and the continuous improvement and add-ons the product will get. With the new add-on fuel control wires it is already better and cheaper than RaceChip. Until someone offers a proper and complete ECU/TCU flash etc I am staying with a piggyback.

I personally would rather stay with the OEM intake or go full CAI, at the moment only JT offers full CAI.

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #30
About time MurlinatoR, beautiful car.

I chose to go with JB4, mainly for the ongoing support from Terry and the continuous improvement and add-ons the product will get. With the new add-on fuel control wires it is already better and cheaper than RaceChip. Until someone offers a proper and complete ECU/TCU flash etc I am staying with a piggyback.

I personally would rather stay with the OEM intake or go full CAI, at the moment only JT offers full CAI.
Aren't both Tork and Pressure Tech doing a full ECU tune, [MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION]?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Aren't both Tork and Pressure Tech doing a full ECU tune, [MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION]?

As far as I understand, they are still facing some drawbacks to get the full potential out of tuning the ECU, also no TCU tune yet. It is a matter of time before it is done, but even when it is out I don't want to be one of the first people using it.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Congrats! Can't wait to see your build.[biggrin][burnout]

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Congrats MurlinatoR! I guess we finally convinced you of what a great car you sell. lol [twothumb]

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 bmw x5
Congratulations MurlinatoR, love the Stinger in that color looks great.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Congrats