Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

City Kia in Orlando botched the heck out of my rebadge. What do I do?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
How do I attach pics?

Okay, so after my nightmare with the K8 stinger store, I bit the bullet and paid my dealership to handle the rebadge with their own parts. First, I was given in writing by the salesperson before I bought my car that they'd do all of them for $190. On the day I went to get it done, they switched to it over $400, half for parts and labor on the front and rear and half for parts and labor for the wheels. After dealing with what I just went through with the k8 stinger store I didn't even care what it cost. I just wanted it done. I wanted it done the day I bought the car, but this is about the dealership and not the k8 store.

Also, interesting to note, City Kia told me that there was no such thing as a Korean Kia K badge, that they were all eBay quality junk and the Kia does not make them. Joe Manno, the director of Motorsports at City Kia, says that it was a marketing story made by the one guy that makes them and they don't exist on Kia cars at all, no matter where in the world they are. So he convinced me to get the E badges, which weren't my first choice but didn't look too bad when I looked at them closer. The only problem was he said the badge for the steering wheel would require a removal of the entire steering wheel and be *another* $400. I declined to have that done.

So after 4 hrs he calls me and says that there was a paint defect they found in the rear, that it was under warranty, but it would need to be wet sanded. I said fine, thanks for letting me know, and went to pick up my car. He said he'd have it washed and ready as a courtesy by the time I was there to pick it up.

When I got there I had to wait another 10 minutes for them to dry my car off. When they finally pulled it around, there were scratches covering the entire back end of my GT2 where they'd tried to remove the badges. Actually, they managed to scratch up my driver's side, as well. Perhaps with what they were using to dry it with, because there was a small smudge of grease surrounding the driver's side scratches on a freshly washed and dried car.

At first Joe denied that there were any scratches and tried to tell me.it was chemical residue, but after I talked to the GM he admitted they had effed up and would repaint the parts of my car that were scratched. I refused to let them repaint it under the tarp tent they had in the back, and he said they had a body shop that could do it for me instead.

What should I be prepared for with third party paint jobs? I'm starting to understand why everyone's been saying "yeah it's nice but in the end it's still a Kia." I originally called them brand bitches, but now... I don't think BMW or Audi would've ever dared to try to give me a car back in that condition, let alone try and say they would just buff out and that there wasn't a problem. I mean, at the end of the day you've got a nice car made, sold, and serviced by a company used to selling $10,000 cars to a completely different market segment.

I was also offered a Kia Soul to drive in the meantime. What happened to loaning out the next highest model vehicle to drive sales of them? Bring in a 328i? Here's a 540i while we fix it! Here's your 328i back! Notice how we didn't scratch your paint everywhere when we detailed it like we do every time it's here?!? What's that? You loved that twin turbo 5 series? You want to trade in your 328? Let's find someone who can get the paperwork started for you right now...

But I guess you can't buy a 750 and get mad that it's not an Aston Martin. You live and learn, I guess. I still love the car, don't get me wrong. This is just the second time and second dealership that has returned my car damaged or filthy.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Ouch that sucks. I would have suggested taking it to another body shop which can give you a more unbiased estimate. I guess since they have your car now, let them repair it first to see if they do a good job.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Use imgur.com to attach images

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
How do I attach pics?

Okay, so after my nightmare with the K8 stinger store, I bit the bullet and paid my dealership to handle the rebadge with their own parts. First, I was given in writing by the salesperson before I bought my car that they'd do all of them for $190. On the day I went to get it done, they switched to it over $400, half for parts and labor on the front and rear and half for parts and labor for the wheels. After dealing with what I just went through with the k8 stinger store I didn't even care what it cost. I just wanted it done. I wanted it done the day I bought the car, but this is about the dealership and not the k8 store.

Also, interesting to note, City Kia told me that there was no such thing as a Korean Kia K badge, that they were all eBay quality junk and the Kia does not make them. Joe Manno, the director of Motorsports at City Kia, says that it was a marketing story made by the one guy that makes them and they don't exist on Kia cars at all, no matter where in the world they are. So he convinced me to get the E badges, which weren't my first choice but didn't look too bad when I looked at them closer. The only problem was he said the badge for the steering wheel would require a removal of the entire steering wheel and be *another* $400. I declined to have that done.

So after 4 hrs he calls me and says that there was a paint defect they found in the rear, that it was under warranty, but it would need to be wet sanded. I said fine, thanks for letting me know, and went to pick up my car. He said he'd have it washed and ready as a courtesy by the time I was there to pick it up.

When I got there I had to wait another 10 minutes for them to dry my car off. When they finally pulled it around, there were scratches covering the entire back end of my GT2 where they'd tried to remove the badges. Actually, they managed to scratch up my driver's side, as well. Perhaps with what they were using to dry it with, because there was a small smudge of grease surrounding the driver's side scratches on a freshly washed and dried car.

At first Joe denied that there were any scratches and tried to tell me.it was chemical residue, but after I talked to the GM he admitted they had effed up and would repaint the parts of my car that were scratched. I refused to let them repaint it under the tarp tent they had in the back, and he said they had a body shop that could do it for me instead.

What should I be prepared for with third party paint jobs? I'm starting to understand why everyone's been saying "yeah it's nice but in the end it's still a Kia." I originally called them brand bitches, but now... I don't think BMW or Audi would've ever dared to try to give me a car back in that condition, let alone try and say they would just buff out and that there wasn't a problem. I mean, at the end of the day you've got a nice car made, sold, and serviced by a company used to selling $10,000 cars to a completely different market segment.

I was also offered a Kia Soul to drive in the meantime. What happened to loaning out the next highest model vehicle to drive sales of them? Bring in a 328i? Here's a 540i while we fix it! Here's your 328i back! Notice how we didn't scratch your paint everywhere when we detailed it like we do every time it's here?!? What's that? You loved that twin turbo 5 series? You want to trade in your 328? Let's find someone who can get the paperwork started for you right now...

But I guess you can't buy a 750 and get mad that it's not an Aston Martin. You live and learn, I guess. I still love the car, don't get me wrong. This is just the second time and second dealership that has returned my car damaged or filthy.
I recommend not having a dealership do work that is not under warranty or routine. I would have done it myself, which I have on multiple cars, or have a car guy that is in your area that owns an independent shop or even a buddy you have. Sorry to hear about your experience, I know the feeling.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Keep us posted

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I agree with others, take it to a reputable bodyshop.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Same here, I agree with the other guys, I would never let someone else rebadge my car, it just takes time to do it and at least you know its done right, NO SCRATCHES. You don't have to remove the steering wheel to rebadge it, they lied to you.

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Mustang GT
That dealership is terrible, their salespeople are clueless and insulting when they realize a deal is slipping away. Sounds like their repair shop is at about the same level of competency. An yes, the Stinger is a better car and deserves a better dealership and service experience than what Kia provides. Pray you don’t ever have to deal with Kia finance. You can tell they are used to dealing with poors who have to finance cheap cars for 72 months because of their 450 beacon score. We also own a 2019 BMW X3 and the dealership experience is drastically different, top to bottom. I still love the Stinger and don’t regret buying it, but they really have some issues to sort out In a few areas.
I’m sure there are good Kia dealerships, Mur on here seems to be a genuine helpful guy, but every Kia dealership I have visited has left me wondering WTF did I even bother stopping in. My Stinger purchase was done via text from 200 miles from the dealer.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
The Kia dealership that I go my car from "Earnhardt Kia in Phoenix AZ." took care of me and anything I need for the car but that's one dealer out of a bunch of dealerships here in Arizona that I trust. If I can do the work myself I do it or I take it to my buddy's shop and have him do it.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Any updates [MENTION=1322]BlackDragon[/MENTION]