Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

ATTENTION : Brake rotors and warranty

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #21
How are the new rotors holding up? I think mine needs to be turned too.
Mine are holding up well this time around, no signs of the vibs or spots

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
i think it says somewhere in the manual hot spots are normal on the rotors if I'm not mistaken,

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Awesome post just noticed slight vibrations will set up an appointment to have the looked at appreciate the find.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
1,350 miles and mine are still good.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
This is a little disappointing for Brembo brakes. I mean, are they the "entry level" model? Mine warped in a few hundred miles

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
This is a little disappointing for Brembo brakes. I mean, are they the "entry level" model? Mine warped in a few hundred miles
Well, Brembo is the brand of the caliper. The rotors are standard issue from Kia.

What I find odd is that we've heard from a handful of folks here that have had warped rotors. But, I haven't had a single customer have an issue with the rotors and NONE of the 100+ reviews online ever state anything about warped rotors....

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Ever since reading these posts I have noticed a stronger wobble during the braking in the car. Mine has about 4500 miles. So are we aware if this is a case by case basis to get it fixed or is it something the dealership will be aware of?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Case by case. Large majority are NOT having issues.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I first noticed a slight vibration under braking at 10k miles. Now I'm at 13k miles and it's gotten worst. I have scheduled an appointment for Friday. Let's see what they say.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #30
For those who are wondering about the warranty and if to take to the dealer to try and figure out the issue's just go before 1yr/12K or you are on your own after that from what Kia itself has stated.

And as [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] stated, most dealerships are most likely unaware of the rotor warrant just as the Austin TX dealerships had no idea with mine and another Stinger owner here in ATX.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #31
I first noticed a slight vibration under braking at 10k miles. Now I'm at 13k miles and it's gotten worst. I have scheduled an appointment for Friday. Let's see what they say.
Dang Rob, U2 huh?
13k tho... Good luck let us know

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
I guess it depends on the dealership. I had 15000 miles on mine and they turned the rotors under warranty and then when it came back at 24,000 they replaced them under warranty

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
got my new rotors on saturday, smooth as silk. Let's hope they stay that way

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
So I?m dealing with the same issue right now. I noticed some vibration around the 3000 mile mark mostly when slowing down from interstate speeds, now it is worse at slower speeds especially when going downhill. Classic rotor warp symptoms. Here?s the thing? I have warped rotors before in my younger years and learned from my mistakes and now I more-or-less baby them. When breaking I downshift, never ride the breaks, and never ever let the pad rest on the rotor when hot, blah blah.

After reading about others who have reported premature rotor issues I asked the dealership to fix them under warranty. They made it very clear that rotors are not covered and that it would be $315 to replace them not including labor. I pushed back and they advised me to reach out to Kia consumer affairs?which I did. After going back-and-forth with them a few times they are also holding firm that it is not a warrantee-able item. I tend to agree with them, but still it blows me away that I would have this issue from a high-end car with high-end brake systems without aggressive driving. Right now I have 5000 miles on her and ~95% of those miles are long road trips with, like I said, reasonable driving and a practicing respect of what causes rotors to warp.

I?m still working with consumer affairs and waiting on a call back from them. They also told me they are not tracking any known issues on rotors; I told them to go online and look at the forums because I?m not the only one reporting it. Obviously I know their known issues are not driven by public forums, but these are certainly a solid source of consumer information. I suppose it?s possible the economics of the situation is that people are just warping there rotors from aggressive driving immediately after buying; hard to tell. But that?s certainly not my case and fair to assume many of yours as well.

They are reaching out to a local district parts and service manager to see if they are willing to help me out. I?ll let you all know what happens. If anyone has other ideas for me to fight my case I would appreciate it.

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
So here is my promised follow up: Kia is replacing the rotors free of charge. Much respect, Kia.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
So here is my promised follow up: Kia is replacing the rotors free of charge. Much respect, Kia.
which is what they should do..

mine were warped in a few hundred miles, took it in and they didn't hesitate to say they would be covered under warranty

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
Just curious for everyone having warped rotors (or perceived warped rotors)...

Did y?all do any bedding/break in on the pads/rotors after you took ownership?

I know the manual doesn?t mention it. But I?ve always done it (and every 5k or so).

For this who don?t know. It?s 5 quick/aggressive brakes in succession from 40 to 10.. then keep moving without stopping till the brakes cool (5 minutes of circling an empty parking lot)... the 5 moderate stops from 35 to 5 and again keep moving for 5.

The procedure varies slightly from each manufacturer (Brembo, stop tech, etc).

Doing this properly leaves an even layer of brake pad residue ensuring maximum stopping and reducing the risk of uneven brake pad deposits l during a hard/emergency braking episode... which feels after like a warped rotor.

Also, do not let any twerp touch your lugs with an impact wrench if you don?t want something jacked with your rotors and/or wheel studs. I make them using a torque wrench (or do what is needed myself). ~90 foot pounds of torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Just curious for everyone having warped rotors (or perceived warped rotors)...

Did y?all do any bedding/break in on the pads/rotors after you took ownership?

I know the manual doesn?t mention it. But I?ve always done it (and every 5k or so).

For this who don?t know. It?s 5 quick/aggressive brakes in succession from 40 to 10.. then keep moving without stopping till the brakes cool (5 minutes of circling an empty parking lot)... the 5 moderate stops from 35 to 5 and again keep moving for 5.

The procedure varies slightly from each manufacturer (Brembo, stop tech, etc).

Doing this properly leaves an even layer of brake pad residue ensuring maximum stopping and reducing the risk of uneven brake pad deposits l during a hard/emergency braking episode... which feels after like a warped rotor.

Also, do not let any twerp touch your lugs with an impact wrench if you don?t want something jacked with your rotors and/or wheel studs. I make them using a torque wrench (or do what is needed myself). ~90 foot pounds of torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did similarly as you posted. Still had warping issues on mine.

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
Anyone know if this applies to used Stingers? I can hear a slight squeak on mine.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
I had a set replaced at 12K. When I brought it back in for another set at 24K I was told 'out of warranty'. I think Kia will make this a recall at some point and we'll all get our money back. It takes time for the data to show there was a bad batch or rotors or there was a n under designed part. I can't wait. I'm looking for performance rotors now. [MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION] sent a nice link to a kit I'm looking into now.