Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

ATTENTION : Brake rotors and warranty

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
So, I have vibration when braking and it's due to hotspots on the front rotors. This causes a bit of warping of the rotors thus creating the vibration upon braking.

Now, I went to two different Kia dealerships and both stated that this issue is NOT covered under warranty. They stated anything else brake related would be covered but not "Wear and tear" of the rotors. I stated that this does not sound right for a 10yr 100K warranty or really any vehicle with a full warranty of course up to the point where you hit the miles or year where coverage drops off. That said, I stated this should not be on a vehicle with less than 10K and 6 months old.
They both insisted NOT covered and just to resurface would be roughly $300. Fast forward a few days to my car going in for another service. While in service another Blue Stinger GT2 was getting all FOUR of his rotors resurfaced because he had hotspots on all 4 rotors with 4K less miles than mine. He paid roughly $300.

We (Stinger owner) began to chat about this and we both agreed to contact Kia about this issue / warranty. Kia stated that we should NOT BE PAYING for rotor wear. The warranty on the rotors are for 1yr or 12K then after that runs out, yes we are responsible.

I went back to my service advisor (other Stinger owner as well) and let him know this information. The next day he called me and said, yup your right and we will just replace your fronts with new rotors. Unfortunately right now they are on backorder. As for the other owner he is getting reimbursed for what he paid.

Wanting to put this out there for all of us Stinger owner's that come across this issue and your dealer trying to charge you because they obviously do not know they're own warranties.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
thats great information thank you

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
excellent. Thank you for the information.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
No problem fellas

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
[rockon] good stuff

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Thanks for the post.[like]

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Glad it all worked out for you.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #9
New rotors installed, she drives like new again

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Does Brembo make the rotors or do they just make the calipers on the Stinger???

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #11
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Hotspots usually appear due to uneven cooling of the rotors.
It's tricky to avoid, but if you can shift to N or P after a hard stop from high speed without the brakes engaged, this can help.
Worst case is a high speed stop followed by sitting hard on the brake pedal.

ITS_A_KIA

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Which Austin kia dealer did you use for this? I am in round rock,so in the chance this happens to me,I want to go to a dealer that understands.Thanks!

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #14
Which Austin kia dealer did you use for this? I am in round rock,so in the chance this happens to me,I want to go to a dealer that understands.Thanks!
Go to Round Rock... See Josh Craig in service

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #15
What model / color do you own itsakia?

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
I just came the Kia dealer service department. I had wrapped rotors but did not know until I found this thread, had almost 16,000 miles on the car. But I explained that this had been going on for a while. They didn't have to fix but they did. they turned the rotors and they are good for now.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #17
Warped rotors I assume you mean? I believe this is hidden detail that most service isn't aware of. Glad you are good for now though.
I just came the Kia dealer service department. I had wrapped rotors but did not know until I found this thread, had almost 16,000 miles on the car. But I explained that this had been going on for a while. They didn't have to fix but they did. they turned the rotors and they are good for now.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
How are the new rotors holding up? I think mine needs to be turned too.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
everyone I have talked to said the new rotors are good so far

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
I have this on mine now too. Car still has temp plates on it. Going in Monday for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk