Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

ATTENTION : Brake rotors and warranty

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
i had the same issue @ somewhere around 16k. i brought the car in this past weekend (memorial day weekend) and was told it was warped rotors and not warrantied past 12k. while i was waiting i noticed this and many other discussions with this same issue. i brought to the service advisors attention this was a know issue and i felt it should be covered under the warranty. because of the holiday there was no service manager available and i was charged 4 hours of labor... about $400. the advisor stated consumer affairs should be contacted. is that something I should do or they should do?
I would bring this to the attention of the service manager, thats what I did. If they are no help ask to speak to dealership management

Phil

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
I would bring this to the attention of the service manager, thats what I did. If they are no help ask to speak to dealership management
i spoke with the service manager.

he called me...they were pissed i gave them a crappy review on the survey. just so no one is offended, i was extremely positive and complementary of the service advisor and the staff. but they are super sensitive about negative comments and i wrote a paragraph. bottom line is they are standing firm on the 12k/1yr on what they call wearable parts which includes brakes.

i'm extremely disappointed with Kia. on the one hand they admit there have been instances of rotor warping they claim its been under warranty.

i could really use some info from anyone who had their rotors replaced on how their situation was addressed

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Phil...
At dealership now and one of the guys is checking to see if an actual TSB exists. He said it would show manufacturer dates of cars affected.
Your biggest issue is that your work has been done and your dealership likely did not retain the parts for a warranty claim. I will see if I can get you additional info though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Phil

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Phil...
At dealership now and one of the guys is checking to see if an actual TSB exists. He said it would show manufacturer dates of cars affected.
Your biggest issue is that your work has been done and your dealership likely did not retain the parts for a warranty claim. I will see if I can get you additional info though.

Phil...

thanks Chris, btw, they only turned my rotors...no actual parts have been replaced . to my knowledge

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
thanks Chris, btw, they only turned my rotors...no actual parts have been replaced . to my knowledge
and charged you $400?!?!?! you're doing it wrong. afraid you're going to have to get vocal (yelling) if you want results from the stealer

Phil

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
and charged you $400?!?!?! you're doing it wrong. afraid you're going to have to get vocal (yelling) if you want results from the stealer
they claim they charged 4 hours of shop time....i kinda felt like i was a no win situation. i could pay them or leave the brakes pulsating. it was a holiday weekend and i jumped on it Tuesday.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
You can look at your frame inside your front door for build date. Mine is Nov 2017. There is not a TSB but Kia did direct to replace under warranty and my dealership is aware that there is an issue with early builds.

My recommendation is this, no phone call, go to dealership, find your rep that sold you the car, tell him you have an issue you would like to get his advice on with the sales manager and you can wait until the sales manager has a few minutes.

Be nice, let them know what service was provided. Let them know you found out after when doing research that many many stingers have had warping issues.

Let them know the service manager called you and was more concerned with the poor review instead of what caused the poor review. Let them know that although you love the car and how Kia has stepped up their game but this experience has put doubt in your mind about continuing on with Kia in the future (let them know you are brand loyal when you feel taken care of but based on what has transpired you have serious doubts)

As it stands you paid $400.00 for turning your rotors and based on research it is possible it is a temporary fix.

What should have happened if the service department was being a customer advocate is they should have spent a few minutes researching to find out if Kia has any notes or if wrapped brakes were an issue. The service manager should have listened to your concerns and done some additional research. None of that happened, you did the research and now have lost some confidence in Kia.

You could get a decent set of rotors for $400.00, not from them:)

End the conversation by telling the sales manager you are coming to him because it feels as if your concerns have been dismissed and if they want to keep you as a customer they will see what they can help with.

As FYI...if they knew that the stinger was having break issues and told you but said nothing they can do because you are several thousand miles out of warranty for a wear item you could at least had made an informed decision to replace instead of paying $400.00 to turn breaks that have had issues.

Long, sorry...I work for a bank in the auto arm and to dealerships repeat buyers are valuable for the car but also trades for used cars and especially the service. I have found you get a lot more accomplished if you build up vs tear down...but if that does not work that take the other advice and scream, lol.

Good luck:)

Phil

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
You can look at your frame inside your front door for build date. Mine is Nov 2017. There is not a TSB but Kia did direct to replace under warranty and my dealership is aware that there is an issue with early builds.

My recommendation is this, no phone call, go to dealership, find your rep that sold you the car, tell him you have an issue you would like to get his advice on with the sales manager and you can wait until the sales manager has a few minutes.

Be nice, let them know what service was provided. Let them know you found out after when doing research that many many stingers have had warping issues.

Let them know the service manager called you and was more concerned with the poor review instead of what caused the poor review. Let them know that although you love the car and how Kia has stepped up their game but this experience has put doubt in your mind about continuing on with Kia in the future (let them know you are brand loyal when you feel taken care of but based on what has transpired you have serious doubts)

As it stands you paid $400.00 for turning your rotors and based on research it is possible it is a temporary fix.

What should have happened if the service department was being a customer advocate is they should have spent a few minutes researching to find out if Kia has any notes or if wrapped brakes were an issue. The service manager should have listened to your concerns and done some additional research. None of that happened, you did the research and now have lost some confidence in Kia.

You could get a decent set of rotors for $400.00, not from them:)

End the conversation by telling the sales manager you are coming to him because it feels as if your concerns have been dismissed and if they want to keep you as a customer they will see what they can help with.

As FYI...if they knew that the stinger was having break issues and told you but said nothing they can do because you are several thousand miles out of warranty for a wear item you could at least had made an informed decision to replace instead of paying $400.00 to turn breaks that have had issues.

Long, sorry...I work for a bank in the auto arm and to dealerships repeat buyers are valuable for the car but also trades for used cars and especially the service. I have found you get a lot more accomplished if you build up vs tear down...but if that does not work that take the other advice and scream, lol.

Good luck:)

Thank you Chris. that definitely sounds like excellent advice and I intend to follow-up as you suggest. Unfortunately I didn’t buy the car from the dealership I used for the service but I get your point and they were going to be my first choice for my next car. I suspect that this is a defective part just as we think and the Kia people are lacking the training for dealing with these issues that go beyond their script. I also had contacted the Kia consumer affairs department. They are still evaluating the complaint but I’m doubtful that they will step up. I ask to speak with a supervisor to discuss the issue. She flat out told me that she believes all the online reporting is the work of 5 or six people posting it in several different places. Additionally, she told me more than likely I caused the problem by the way I drive the car. She stated she believes that being a sports car causes people to drive hard. At that point it’s clear to me that there’s nothing Kia intended to do. The local dealership wants Kia to pay for the work and parts and it’s clear that Kia isn’t going to. At least not at this management level

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Phil,
Right or wrong it is my view that a high quality service department in a dealership is the exception, most have adopted poor business practices and have the wrong people in charge. Your experience with the dealership is not surprising, your conversations with KIA support however is very disappointing!
It is possible you caused the issue but a car like this is designed to be agressive and brakes should not be in issue. On another thread I posted a poor experience that has turned out well, the advice I gave there is what I would suggest for you. Create and maintain a relationship with the sales manager through the car buying experience and beyond. I went to three dealerships before I decided where to buy my stinger and it was completely based on my feel for the sales manager being open and a customer advocate. I lease and trade my cars every couple years, I'm 48 and have bought a lot of cars:) I also tend to go to smaller dealerships where the owner takes a larger stake in his customers.
Not sure how many take an approach like this but for me it has been invaluable! I had an engine replaced in a mustang a few years ago, it continued to have issues and the owner got me into a new mustang and took that one back with little effort, I believe my approach above made it a simple process instead of a potential nightmare:)
There are systematic problems in the auto industries model based on outaded legacy practices. I work for the auto arm of a big bank and could write a book on the issue but will spare you, lol.

If your brakes last great, if not I would not go back to the dealership but instead look for a local mechanic in your area with high reviews. I could write another book on the value of creating a relationship with your local mechanic:) I've been dealing with the same auto shop for 11 years.

Bottom line for me is I have saved a lot of money over the years with the above approach, easily into the thousands.

Start putting quarters into your piggy bank for new brakes, I think you will need some with the next year:)

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I called before bringing my car in to make sure it would be free. Was happy to hear that the service manager said that turning the rotors would be a waste of time. They did claim not to have heard of this issue and they are the biggest Stinger dealer in this area. I noticed they had a lot of stock. So last Friday I got front brake pads and rotors replaced. No warping but it's only been two days. We'll see. Be funny if the real problem is the brembo calipers. I've heard if the caliper can also be the cause

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
Phil,
Right or wrong it is my view that a high quality service department in a dealership is the exception, most have adopted poor business practices and have the wrong people in charge. Your experience with the dealership is not surprising, your conversations with KIA support however is very disappointing!
It is possible you caused the issue but a car like this is designed to be agressive and brakes should not be in issue. On another thread I posted a poor experience that has turned out well, the advice I gave there is what I would suggest for you. Create and maintain a relationship with the sales manager through the car buying experience and beyond. I went to three dealerships before I decided where to buy my stinger and it was completely based on my feel for the sales manager being open and a customer advocate. I lease and trade my cars every couple years, I'm 48 and have bought a lot of cars:) I also tend to go to smaller dealerships where the owner takes a larger stake in his customers.
Not sure how many take an approach like this but for me it has been invaluable! I had an engine replaced in a mustang a few years ago, it continued to have issues and the owner got me into a new mustang and took that one back with little effort, I believe my approach above made it a simple process instead of a potential nightmare:)
There are systematic problems in the auto industries model based on outaded legacy practices. I work for the auto arm of a big bank and could write a book on the issue but will spare you, lol.

If your brakes last great, if not I would not go back to the dealership but instead look for a local mechanic in your area with high reviews. I could write another book on the value of creating a relationship with your local mechanic:) I've been dealing with the same auto shop for 11 years.

Bottom line for me is I have saved a lot of money over the years with the above approach, easily into the thousands.

Start putting quarters into your piggy bank for new brakes, I think you will need some with the next year:)

I would make Kia pay why let them off the hook. But yeah if I am paying it won't be through Kia service. Case in point I had an 06 G35 coupe that got 3 sets of rotors/1 time with pads over 24K miles. that car had the same common issue with warping. Once it was on my dime warped again at 28K I brought it to a local mechanic and he said something about the caliper sticking. He sanded something and greased it up real good. Could have been that or I'm guessing probably not the same rotor/pad but either way had that car up to 110K miles and the brakes were never warped again.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
new rotors are not vibrating but they sound like they are grinding when I come to a stop

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2 AWD Cermaic/Red

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Did you guys follow the bed in procedure after replacement of pads and rotors?

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Did you guys follow the bed in procedure after replacement of pads and rotors?
Sure did. I had the "Stinger tech" with me during the process.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Did they replace pads also?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
did they give you the "new and improved" rotors or the same ones? my service manager said Kia sent them my rotors with the same part number but that the rotors "looked different" he didn't say how they looked different

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I smell BS.
Usually whenever a part is revised, changed or updated, the part number changes, that is to avoid confusing/choosing the old part vs the new/revised one.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
They did not change the pads. I told them the pads are suspect in the issues we are having. Manager said call if it happens again and we will replace again.

The rotors had the same part # as the OGs

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
When my dealer called Kia, Kia instructed then to replace the pads as well, I don't know a lot about brakes but apparently the defective rotors can impact the pads. Another thing, I had to go back as Kia sent the dealer specific pads and rotors for replacement.