Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

ATTENTION : Brake rotors and warranty

ProsperDad

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Infiniti Q50
Old thread, but I'll chime in...

GT2 AWD and had vibration show up around 4,500k. Got it into the dealer (Central Kia, Plano, Texas) at 6,900k and they confirmed some "high spots" and machined the rotors.

All was good for a few hundred miles, but now at 7,600k and the vibration is back.

Back to the dealer or Kia Customer Service?? Thoughts??

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1

GT2 AWD and had vibration show up around 4,500k. Got it into the dealer (Central Kia, Plano, Texas) at 6,900k and they confirmed some "high spots" and machined the rotors.

All was good for a few hundred miles, but now at 7,600k and the vibration is back.

The dealer needs to replace the rotors, once the rotor is warped its going to warp again even if you have them rotated. you would be better off if you bought aftermarket rotors an brake pads. The stock brake pads are garbage, go to Khartunerz wedsite they have aftermarket pads for sale.

Welcome to the forums!!!!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2

Take it back in. You are still under 12k miles, they need to replace, not resurface the rotors/disks this time. Also they need to replace the pads as well, otherwise the issue will show again.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I had a set replaced at 12K. When I brought it back in for another set at 24K I was told 'out of warranty'. I think Kia will make this a recall at some point and we'll all get our money back. It takes time for the data to show there was a bad batch or rotors or there was a n under designed part. I can't wait. I'm looking for performance rotors now. [MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION] sent a nice link to a kit I'm looking into now.
I doubt it. I had an 06 infiniti which did the same thing. They were better giving out free brakes till 24K, but after 24K when I hit 28K and they warped again I was out of luck. I had an independent garage do the brakes and they used a different pad/rotor setup and I never had an issue after that. I guess there is a chance that they will extend to 24K, but it wont' be by recall for sure because it's not a safety issue

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
dropping my car off at dealer for warped rotors again @9000 miles. this will be the third set

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Bro same here 14k started up again let me know what they say

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
bro i'm all over it

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Make sure you are getting new rotors and pads. Right after you get the car back bed the brakes in. This is critical to preventing the issue from happening again.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Rob it's whatever they put in and u would think they would do all the above

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Well make sure you new ones, as they usually turn/resurface the rotors and leave the same pads.
Also they don't bed in the brakes, not even out of the assembly line, that is something the owner needs to do.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Are the brakes covered?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
brakes are covered for 1 year or 12k miles under factory warranty.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
my car is being evaluated as we speak. i texted the advisor to let me know when they are done as i want to speak to the service manager before they do any repair

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Upstate I should have done that... Good luck let me know how it goes

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
advisor texted me that "after diagnostics we found the front rotors do need replacement again. I have a call into the service manager and am waiting for a call back

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
I'm so surprise Kia hasn't fully corrected this issue.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
so some of you might find this interesting, spoke to the Kia service manager, this is a common problem with the stinger rotors. he is sending my rotors to Kia and ordering "beefier" rotors and pads. he doesnt think its apad problem he thinks it is a rotor over heat problem. he asked me if i live on a hill because this could be contributing to the problem and i said yes. he also said that since this is a "pre existing condition" that kia will cover it past 12k/1 year

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
so some of you might find this interesting, spoke to the Kia service manager, this is a common problem with the stinger rotors. he is sending my rotors to Kia and ordering "beefier" rotors and pads. he doesnt think its apad problem he thinks it is a rotor over heat problem. he asked me if i live on a hill because this could be contributing to the problem and i said yes. he also said that since this is a "pre existing condition" that kia will cover it past 12k/1 year
Really? I had mine replaced at around 10k and just around 14k they started wobbling. Still do at 17k unless I use good firm pressure when stopping. I’ll hva to make a couple calls to see what dealer will honor that

ephone1

Reactions
Greetings Gents. I've been following this issue closely since I just bought a G70 with the same Brembo brakes and, I suspect, the same rotors. It seems to me that this must ultimately be an issue of the metallurgy in the cast iron in the rotors. Car & Driver just posted a long term update on their Stinger GT, and they had the same issue with the rotors, and so did the testers at Automobile Mag.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Greetings Gents. I've been following this issue closely since I just bought a G70 with the same Brembo brakes and, I suspect, the same rotors. It seems to me that this must ultimately be an issue of the metallurgy in the cast iron in the rotors. Car & Driver just posted a long term update on their Stinger GT, and they had the same issue with the rotors, and so did the testers at Automobile Mag.
Well that's not good coming from Automobile Mag. I guess I need to start saving for brake rotors. :rolleyes:

Welcome @ephone1, G70 nice car. (y)