Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Help with buyout calculation

f155mph

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Can someone please help me determine if the buyout price on lease is right?

We have a GT AWD and Driver Assist pkg.

Gross Cap $44.3K
Adj Cap $36,8K
Residual $23.5K
Lease Payment $19K
Lease Rebate $5k
Down Payment $4K
Tax Rate 7.5% Ohio

I was finally able to setup my Kia Financial account today and I checked the buyout price $39K. I believe in Ohio I am paying the tax on the lease payment which equal $1425. The numbers don't seem to add up to me.

Thanks!

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I'm not an expert, but I believe a close estimate should be the adjusted cap minus the lease tax (the $1425) plus the tax on the current ?residual' which should be close to the adjusted cap since you just started the lease. If my math is right it is:
$36800 - $1425 + $2653 = $38028. I believe there is an early termination fee of $400. (This is what it was in my case), so the buy out should be around $38428. Your number looks close. The complexity is; you already made the first lease payment up front, the car had depricieated since you signed, and they add interest since you signed. This makes getting the exact amount difficult to calculate.

Hope this helps.

Any one else please chime in if I don't have this right or if I missed something.[readthis]

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Section 23B "Purchase Option Before Maturity" states that you have the option of purchase anytime before scheduled maturity, so long as you are not in Default of the Agreement, and under the terms of Section 9 and at an Adjusted Lease Balance as calculated in Section 22D.

Section 9 covers the Purchase Option Fee, if any. Mine was $0 but have heard values of up to $300 in other threads.

Section 22D explains how the Purchase Price is equal to the Adjusted Lease Balance and also how to calculate the same. In simple terms it states this:
Adjusted Lease Balance is the Adjusted Cap Cost disclosed in Section 7 minus all depreciation and amortization accrued (paid) up to the termination date calculated using the "Constant Yield Method." This method is used to determine the portion of the Rent Charge in Sec 7 that you owe for the buy off. If further defines the balance subject to rent charge as Adjusted Cap Cost minus the sum of; 1. all depreciation and amortized amounts accrued and 2. the first base monthly payment.

Essentially this states that you can, at any time, buy out the lease prior to maturity. Rent Charges are "earned" and paid one month in advance on leases. That said, if you began the buyout process as soon as the info was available from KMF, you would be paying a portion of the rent charge for the time the vehicle was under lease. Rent charge is usually based on Adj Cap Cost + Residual Value...for the buyout, you only pay the portion of rent based on the adjusted cap cost.

Having only paid the first month payment (depreciation/amortization + rent + tax if applicable), you would take the adjusted cap cost and reduce it by this amount minus the rent and tax. This is your Adjusted Lease Balance. Because only one payment has been made, this number is also the "balance subject to rent charge" which would be multiplied by the Money Factor to get the portion of Rent owed. This means you pay a rent charge on the Adjusted Cap Cost minus the depreciation and amortization from the first payment only and NOT also on the Residual Value as it is normally calculated.

This value becomes your buyout number and you would owe any applicable taxes on this amount.

Btw- stole this from a different site. Don?t ask me to explain it.

OP
F

f155mph

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
Hey guys....thanks for the info. I recalculated the number again and it come close to the $39K. You guys are very helpful...THANKS!