Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

How To install aftermarket DRLs

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Tools required
1x Short Philips screw driver
1x Long Phillips screw driver
Electrical tape
Wire crimpers
Pliers
Quick splice connect plugs (got them from amazon HERE)
Get your DRLs Here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumper-Surface-Emission-LED-Fog-Lamp-Light-DRL-For-Kia-2018-2019-Stinger/173354479613?fits=Make:Kia|Model:Stinger&hash=item285cbb6ffd:g:Iy0AAOSwo9VbGNUj

For this installation I recommend having someone with the proper tools and preferably a lift do the work, as there are quite a few parts that need to be removed in order to gain access and install also wiring connections to be done on the headlight harness.

On this installation I gained access to a lift to make installation much easier.
Once the car is up in the air, proceed to remove both front wheels

After the wheel has been removed proceed to the removal of the clips holding the/attaching the splash shields
NOTE: there are five (5) clips that need to be removed inside the wheel well and three (3) under the corner of the front bumper.

Wheel well

Front bumper corner

Once you have removed the clips, proceed to move the splash shield pulling form the bottom corner (where it attaches to the front bumper). Keep in mind that you will NOT be removing the splash shield completely, you will be moving it off to the side in order to gain access to the vent ducts in the front bumper, do not worry the plastic is flexible and strong enough and will not break.

With the splash moved out of the way, you will then proceed to remove the duct that directs air to the side of the car. This is done by unscrewing the two (2) screws and removing two (2) clips that hold it to the air vent and the front bumper.

With the air duct removed you will now have access to the air vent. Should look like the photo below.

Now in my case, the DRL came with the air vent, however I found that removing the air vent is nearly impossible with the front bumper mounted on the car.
Upon further inspection of the DRL and air vent I noticed that the center part of the air vent (the part containing the LED for the DRL) can be detached from the vent itself. It is only held/attached by very flexible plastic clips. So I went ahead and detached the center piece from the air vent itself
In order to separate these two pieces you need to start CAREFULLY pulling the center piece from the top of the vent and work your way down. No need for tool on this one, your hands are more than enough.

Once you have separated both center pieces from the air vents you will need to the same on the vents that are mounted on the bumper. The same process and technique applies.

NOTE: Since the cables from the DRLs are going to be exposed to debris and water from the road I highly recommend using the electrical tape and cover them, including the circuit board that is attached to it. It also prevents them from getting tangled on to something else and makes the installation look cleaner
With the center pieces removed from the air vent mounted on the bumper, proceed to mount the DRL center pieces on the air vents. Making sure that all clips go through and that the pieces is lined up correctly. HINT: there are making on each center piece that identifies which side it belongs to.
NOTE: Be careful when mounting the DRL and not push in from the middle part (where cable comes out) as that is where the electronic board and LED's are housed.

I also zip tied the circuit board to a wire harness that was nearby in order to keep it from moving around and hitting stuff when the car is in movement.

Now that everything is mounted you will need to run the wires upwards, into the engine bay, more specifically behind the headlight.
Don't worry the wires are long enough and they will easily reach.

Now here is where the wiring fun starts.
You will need to disconnect the headlight harness and peel back some of the electrical tape. This is needed to gain access to wires that need to be tapped into from the DRLs.
You will also need to use your Quick splice connect connectors.
NOTE: I have a GT2 with the Light Bending System and LED headlight. Other models may have different wiring harness.

[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
[td]DRL[/td]
[td]CAR[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]BLACK[/td]
[td]BLACK/ORANGE[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]WHITE[/td]
[td]BLACK[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]RED[/td]
[td]ORANGE[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Once you are finished it should look like this.

This DRL will work with or without your lights set to ON or AUTO. As they are powered by the ignition.
Once all connections are made proceed to test and if everything is properly connected, it should look like below.
Ignition ON

Hazards/Turn signals

Parking lights/Headlights ON

BIG Thanks to @RPMTRADE for the DRLs and the Blazin fast shipping

Hope this helps.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
There's some dude on ebay using your photos. Not sure if you gave him permission.

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
That looks awesome

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Where did you get those from?

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Great job [MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION]

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #6
I know I sent them to him. I was just waiting for him to release them so I could post the How to

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #7
OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #8
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Damn bro that?s awesome.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Very clean install.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
That's a perfect spot for DRL. Are they bright enough to work like foglights?

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Looks great, but wow $250 is alot of money.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Slovenia
What I Drive
Hyundai tiburon 2.0L 2006
So you get drl's only, led modules you put on your stock vents right? You know what company makes these?

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #14
That's a perfect spot for DRL. Are they bright enough to work like foglights?
Unfortunately they are not bright enough to be fog lights. The LED is not bright enough. The factory DRL is brighter than these.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #15
So you get drl's only, led modules you put on your stock vents right? You know what company makes these?
Negative. They sell the complete assembly, vent and DRL. This replaces the factory vent for another factory vent with the aftermarket DRL already installed.
I have no idea who makes these.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Very good walkthrough, sticky worthy.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Excellent install and write-up Rob. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Very professionally done my friend.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I know I sent them to him. I was just waiting for him to release them so I could post the How to
Nice write up! Mind if we use your photos for the website? We'll be carrying these on the website shortly!

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States