Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Winter Wheels & Tires

doozerd

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Mazda MX-5 RF GT
Most of us dropped from 19? to 18?, so we are using your stock size for winters.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT Limited
I'm using PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 XL on the stock 19" rims and they are great in the ice and snow.
IMG_3172.jpg

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Does 17" wheel fit over the Brembo calipers? Has anyone tried?

WildBill

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I don't think it will fit. The spare tire is even on an 18" rim

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA Stinger GT2 AWD
I also had the OEM 18" all-seasons. I went with TireRack's recommended package. Michelin XIce's in the standard 225/45R18, on the SE A8-2 wheel in black. $1250 plus $50/per for TPMS. Free shipping. Here's how they look:

winprof.jpg

Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
I was seeking a comfortable, quiet, capable, and affordable all-season tire setup for winter use on my AWD GT2.

Ended up with 4 new General Altimax RT43 XL V-rated tires (235/45R18), mounted on new 18x8 Moda MD26 wheels. This combination lowered unsprung rotational mass ~50 pounds (a great thing). The new tire sizes (especially greater aspect ratio) allow a smoother and quieter ride on asphalt highways (concrete roads still sing annoyingly). Plus, by eliminating staggered wheels for winter use, I can rotate these 700 wear-rating tires as much as I want. Finally, the color of the new wheels match nicely with the 'burnt chrome' trim pieces behind the car's front wheels.

So far, I have driven this setup in up to 6" of both dry and wet snow, with solid handling at 'normal' speeds (will have to see how aggressive handling is when I find an empty and snowy Walmart parking lot?).

Tire Rack offered this out-the-door tire / wheel package for $1,470, and the new TPMS valves 'paired' perfectly with the car's monitoring system (no need for a dealership to sync).

Very happy, so far ...

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA Stinger GT2 AWD
Have driven my winter tire set now a few times in true winter conditions (it's been much colder here than average the last month, but not tons of snow yet). A few times in 2-4 inches; some wet, some dry snow. This morning, just an inch or two, but cold roads and a lot of that 'polished' glare stuff. The Stinger is a champ! I leave it in Comfort. It's one of the best 'snow cars' I've ever owned. I'm really happy with the Michelin X-Ice's (see #45 above). I'd say the biggest "issue" is gettingg too comfortable with the great traction and handling then getting too 'relaxed' when coming to a stop. The anti-locks can get a workout. There's no way around the laws of physics! Actually, sort-of, kind-of looking forward to getting 'er out there in a big snow day.[tongue]

philrelf

Reactions
State
NH
Country
United States
I was seeking a comfortable, quiet, capable, and affordable all-season tire setup for winter use on my AWD GT2.

Ended up with 4 new General Altimax RT43 XL V-rated tires (235/45R18), mounted on new 18x8 Moda MD26 wheels. This combination lowered unsprung rotational mass ~50 pounds (a great thing). The new tire sizes (especially greater aspect ratio) allow a smoother and quieter ride on asphalt highways (concrete roads still sing annoyingly). Plus, by eliminating staggered wheels for winter use, I can rotate these 700 wear-rating tires as much as I want. Finally, the color of the new wheels match nicely with the 'burnt chrome' trim pieces behind the car's front wheels.

So far, I have driven this setup in up to 6" of both dry and wet snow, with solid handling at 'normal' speeds (will have to see how aggressive handling is when I find an empty and snowy Walmart parking lot?).

Tire Rack offered this out-the-door tire / wheel package for $1,470, and the new TPMS valves 'paired' perfectly with the car's monitoring system (no need for a dealership to sync).

Very happy, so far ...
I just want to confirm you didn't have to go to the dealer to sync your new tpms sensors, because I talked to tire rack and my local dealer and they both said I would need to have someone sync them.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Has anyone tried these 18 x 7 (narrower) wheels for their winter setups? https://onlywheels.com/wheels/steel-wheel-18?cid=1279,1281,1282#

And with the narrower 7-inch wheels, what tires size should I run, same as the stock 18's or should I go narrower with the rubber?

Has anyone ordered from onlywheels.com and willing to share feedback? (I'm in the U.S.)

About TPMS - will I need the expensive TPMS programming tool? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Has anyone tried these 18 x 7 (narrower) wheels for their winter setups? https://onlywheels.com/wheels/steel-wheel-18?cid=1279,1281,1282#

And with the narrower 7-inch wheels, what tires size should I run, same as the stock 18's or should I go narrower with the rubber?

Has anyone ordered from onlywheels.com and willing to share feedback? (I'm in the U.S.)

About TPMS - will I need the expensive TPMS programming tool? Any help appreciated, thanks.
Steel wheels usually have less clearance for a large caliper such as the Brembo caliper on GT. A typical 225-mm wide tire should do just fine on a 7-in wide wheel. When in doubt, consult with the tire manufacturer website which usually contain such information. Tire Rack website also has this information but slightly less extensive (sizes not sold are not listed).

Different set of TPMS sensors will need programming. Whether a tool needs to be purchased or having a tire store or a dealer to perform the service is up to you. I know a tire store chain that does TPMS reprogramming for free. Is there such a place local to you?

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Steel wheels usually have less clearance for a large caliper such as the Brembo caliper on GT. A typical 225-mm wide tire should do just fine on a 7-in wide wheel. When in doubt, consult with the tire manufacturer website which usually contain such information. Tire Rack website also has this information but slightly less extensive (sizes not sold are not listed).

Different set of TPMS sensors will need programming. Whether a tool needs to be purchased or having a tire store or a dealer to perform the service is up to you. I know a tire store chain that does TPMS reprogramming for free. Is there such a place local to you?
I cancelled my TireRack order, and took those details to my local Discount tire. They were awesome, and ordered me the exact same wheels and tires, and beat TR's price by more than I could hope for! They'll sync my TPMS and all that for free, and let me mount them (I don't like other folks touching my Stinger!).

I just couldn't keep waiting for the original BBS wheels that I ordered; they've pushed back their ETA 3 times so far, so this 3rd time was the straw that broke back mountain.

I ended up going with these "JEEP" wheels [wiggle]

hHE907.jpg

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Sounds like a win [raceflag]

Dr.Delux

Reactions
The OEM tires and rims work well but I need to save the rims from salt damage. So got a great set of American Racing gloss black rims, and snow tires.Thier gloss black rims won't discolour from the road salt.

Attachments

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
It's that time of the year and I think I want dedicated snows for the stinger this year. Tire rack has the obligatory blizzaks, plus some coopers, continentals and dunlops. Looking to spend around $150/tire. Anyone have experience with any of these? Haven't bought snow tires in over ten years..

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
blizzaks are the best for snow.....

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I mean can any local tire shop beat tire rack? Discount tire shop in town is quoting me $200 more for set of blizzaks. That doesnt include mounting and balancing but thats probably $80?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Your not going to find a tire shop that can beat tire rack or any other online tire company, it's always cheaper online.

Stouder

Reactions
City
Cincinnati
State
OH
What I Drive
2018 Kia stinger gt2
Got a set of slightly used Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for $500 to put on my factory 18inch rims for my winter setup....tires still have 10/32 tread left

Last edited: