Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Launching..

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
I haven't had much time to learn the launching on the Stinger, but I tried a few times yesterday and it seems like the car is pulling power on manual launch. I tried with nothing off, TC off, then TC off for 3sec, no power brake, small power brake, 2kish power brake. Every time it feels like the car is bogging down soon as I release. Next time Ill try from 3K, just ran outta room. Im coming from a 6.4L Hemi so maybe I'm just not used to the motor and wanted to get some insight from others who have perfected it.

Whats your tricks?

Not really interested in using launch control, Id rather do it manually if I can.

(AWD GT2)

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
You'll get more consistently better launches using launch control then to power brake launch from 3k. What drive mode were you launching at?

OP
V
Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
Sport/Custom only. (Custom is sport everything with active sound crap turned down/off only)

Even not trying to launch, just flooring it from a stop still feels like the power is limited by the computer.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Sport/Custom only. (Custom is sport everything with active sound crap turned down/off only)

Even not trying to launch, just flooring it from a stop still feels like the power is limited by the computer.
It's important to remember that this engine is still a V6. You're coming from a rather large displacement motor that has more naturally aspirated performance. The only way to really make the car pull hard from a stop is 2 spool the turbos with the launch control.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

OP
V
Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
Thanks man, I mean, thats what I was trying to do. Do you know off hand at what RPM they start to spool / half boost / full boost by chance? I have no doubt the Brembos will hold.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Me, too, except we can't turn it completely off. Until enough of us complain to KIA to add that option to the menu (should have always been there and is there in the sister Genesis G70).

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thanks man, I mean, thats what I was trying to do. Do you know off hand at what RPM they start to spool / half boost / full boost by chance? I have no doubt the Brembos will hold.
So, the turbos start spooling as soon as you step on the throttle. They get peaked at around 1,500 RPM. That's where they're pounding the air pressure.

K8AR

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Around a 3k launch seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
I honestly hope one of the tuners gets into the launch control files and fixes it. Zero reason an AWD cant do a boosted launch from 3k+ and hook up. The launch control is quite disappointing compared to competitors, still good, but needs work. You can tell Kia isn't letting her rip like she can.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I honestly hope one of the tuners gets into the launch control files and fixes it. Zero reason an AWD cant do a boosted launch from 3k+ and hook up. The launch control is quite disappointing compared to competitors, still good, but needs work. You can tell Kia isn't letting her rip like she can.
Agree 100%!

This car would cut about .5 from a 1/4 mile with a launch from 3-4K RPM.

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
I agree with you too. I was quite surprised to see it set so low the first time I used it.

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
Agree 100%!

This car would cut about .5 from a 1/4 mile with a launch from 3-4K RPM.
I'm not familiar with the transmission in the Kia Stinger, but from other automatics I've own, the torque converter stall speed (RPM) is what determines the maximum RPM I could achieve when power braking. Does the Kia Stinger not use a torque converter or does it have some wizardry that allows it to change stall speed on the fly?