Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Adding some power to the 2.0T

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Acura ILX
Everyone,

My 2.0T is the first car I've owned with a turbocharger. I've been doing some research and am looking into adding a LAP3 chip and the recommended aftermarket plugs... with that being said, what other equipment would I need to add? Would BoV's be necessary for only adding the chip? Are oil catchcans a requirement? Anything else?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Everyone,

My 2.0T is the first car I've owned with a turbocharger. I've been doing some research and am looking into adding a LAP3 chip and the recommended aftermarket plugs... with that being said, what other equipment would I need to add? Would BoV's be necessary for only adding the chip? Are oil catchcans a requirement? Anything else?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated, thank you!
The plugs are a good idea with the LAP3. I'm confused if you're asking if there is anything else you need to support the LAP3 or you just want things to add? More performance parts equals faster car. I like the sound of BOV's so I think that'd be a good addition.

GDi motors are notorious for producing high levels of carbon so I would recommend a catch can. Use so injector/fuel system cleaner every couple thousand miles to keep the carbon deposits down. Anything else would be on you, it's already a great car! Enjoy your mods

OP
G
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Acura ILX
Thread Starter #3
The plugs are a good idea with the LAP3. I'm confused if you're asking if there is anything else you need to support the LAP3 or you just want things to add? More performance parts equals faster car. I like the sound of BOV's so I think that'd be a good addition.

GDi motors are notorious for producing high levels of carbon so I would recommend a catch can. Use so injector/fuel system cleaner every couple thousand miles to keep the carbon deposits down. Anything else would be on you, it's already a great car! Enjoy your mods
Thanks for the input! Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to know what all was necessary for adding the chip to get more power. I don't want to 'half-ass' anything regarding this car and I'd rather ask questions than make a costly mistake.

Appreciate the help! [:)]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Adding a chip and spark plugs will be the only thing that is really needed. Adding items like exhaust and intake will do very little. BOV is not necessary.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thanks for the input! Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to know what all was necessary for adding the chip to get more power. I don't want to 'half-ass' anything regarding this car and I'd rather ask questions than make a costly mistake.

Appreciate the help! [:)]
You got it, keep us updated on what you decide!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Aftermarket plugs are a must.
Anything else not.

Coincidentally, we published a video today about other mods than can be combined with a chip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ78jige5Bs
(sorry for the non-Kia Stinger-content, but it fits to the question)

We also just launched our product for the 2.0T (Aftermarket plugs are a must for our product, too).
https://www.racechip.us/shop/kia/stinger-ck-from-2017/2-0-t-gdi-1998ccm-250hp-188kw-257lb-ft.html
You can get $100 off with following group buy code for this forum: KIA_STINGER

TJH

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
Aftermarket plugs are a must.
Anything else not.

Coincidentally, we published a video today about other mods than can be combined with a chip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ78jige5Bs
(sorry for the non-Kia Stinger-content, but it fits to the question)

We also just launched our product for the 2.0T (Aftermarket plugs are a must for our product, too).
https://www.racechip.us/shop/kia/stinger-ck-from-2017/2-0-t-gdi-1998ccm-250hp-188kw-257lb-ft.html
You can get $100 off with following group buy code for this forum: KIA_STINGER
Do you have any before and after torque and power graphs, as well as 0-100kmph timings with the 2.0T? Please tell us what the Racechip setting was with your graphs and timings.
Thanks.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Do you have any before and after torque and power graphs, as well as 0-100kmph timings with the 2.0T? Please tell us what the Racechip setting was with your graphs and timings.
Thanks.
I have to ask our development in Germany. The graphs and times are usually in the highest setting and good fuel quality.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
I saw a dyno chart of a customer that got almost 200 whp in stock and 233 whp with RaceChip (not as much as promised, we would love to get some more customer charts. Maybe we just get a Stinger 2.0 in the US). The weather was warm and the setting was 6 (setting 7 ist the maximum)

We still did not get another Stinger 2.0 T-GDi in Germany. They are quite rare in Germany.
However, I want to share some insights about the same 2.0 T-GDi engine in a Hyundai.
One of our employees got it as a daily driver. It already has more power in stock condition, so the room for improvement was limited. However, the performance upgrade between 2500 and 5000 rpm is impressive.

The video addresses many of the topics discussed in different threads of this forum.
How well do exhaust and chip tuning work together? What difference do they make?
What are the characteristics of the dyno graph of the 2.0 T-GDi?
What are the differences in seconds?
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5mGO66SpTw