Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Cold Start - Engine sputtering/Missing

mfox

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Is it normal on morning cold starts engine seems to be missing/ sputtering slightly for first minute or so?
Then it seems to level out and is fine.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
That's not normal, mine doesn't sputter when its cold.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
Hasn?t happened to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
Nothing like that here either.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Have the dealer check it out, that's not normal.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Is it normal on morning cold starts engine seems to be missing/ sputtering slightly for first minute or so?
Then it seems to level out and is fine.
I am not diagnosing your problem, only giving my opinion and known knowledge. Take it to the dealership and they'll know what's wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe these are still considered GDi motors. They use a fuel injector that has 6 smalls ports instead of one. These small ports will collect with carbon and produce what you are describing. They clog and take a few seconds to clear out. It is more common in motors that take short trips rather than long hauls. I have the same issue in my 3.8. It's known for these motors to produce high carbon levels and it doesn't help that the injectors have small ports. This is considered "normal" by Hyundai/KIA even though they don't recognize a service interval in the manual. Pretty pathetic since this happens to A LOT of GDi motors. However, yours should not be doing it this early in ownership. How many miles do you have?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I agree with [MENTION=94]Stingin' Away[/MENTION] here assuming it's not a high pressure fuel pump issue. In the manual, it is recommended that you use only "top tier" fuels in the car (because of the additives in their fuel -- see toptiergas.com for a list) and also they recommend using an additive like Chevron Techron which contains a very strong solvent (a polyetheramine) that dissolves carbon deposits every 6,000 miles at oil change intervals.

OP
mfox

mfox

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the advise guys.