Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who's experienced more than normal paint chips? Share your pictures

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Hey I have this exact issue I just noticed it what was your resolution? Did you have to pay for the repairs or the dealership handle it ? Thanks
This is tricky. If you have a sunset yellow Stinger, Kia has begun a campaign to either buy back the cars or fix the paint. If you choose to have your car re-painted, they'll give you a cash check for compensation. I chose to take the money and keep the car. My plan is to use the money to buy a commuter car and beat on that to work instead of driving the Stinger. This way I retain value on the car and mitigate further paint damage.

Two other options were to trade the car in for the same model and trim of another color or just a full buy back. No cash compensation for the other two options. Honestly, the money deal is better because even if you don't like the car, you can always just trade it in and use the cash to eat the negative equity and have some left over. It worked out better just to take the money and something tells me that Kia wanted it that way because they offered way more than I ever would have anticipated.

What color is your vehicle? I believe that Kia is being very hesitant to accept the paint issue on colors other than Sunset Yellow. Not sure if it's because Yellow is a limited run color and easy to manage... Even then, only 400 of the 500 Sunset Yellow vehicles were considered to be affected. Was it because 100 of the vehicles never sold? I sincerely do not know.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
[MENTION=776]sinrule[/MENTION] how much money is Kia offering for compensation?

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Several thousands. Ill share a final figure when I actually get it... I'm apprehensive of the process based on something my service tech told me.
[MENTION=776]sinrule[/MENTION] how much money is Kia offering for compensation?
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger gt1 ceramic grey
I got flaking coming off mines on the roof taking it to kia nex tweek to get fix but the rock chips iono if they will even do anything about it unless its the yellow recall

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I installed Xpel on all front end painted surfaces and trim. No chips. No bugs.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I've concluded that no matter what color you own, the paint on the Stinger really sucks.

Kronos83

Reactions
So I just Purchased my 2018 Micro Blue GT2 AWD brand new on saturday, and had it detailed today and before they started they brought me over to look at the car, and you can see on the roof, the plastic parts on the side near the back that are painted micro blue are at my best description have spider cracks either in the clearcoat or the paint or both. see attached. now after the fresh wax this is what they look like, they stood out even more, just wondering if this is a common problem with the Stinger paint, aside from the chipping issues I've seen here

Attachments

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
So I just Purchased my 2018 Micro Blue GT2 AWD brand new on saturday, and had it detailed today and before they started they brought me over to look at the car, and you can see on the roof, the plastic parts on the side near the back that are painted micro blue are at my best description have spider cracks either in the clearcoat or the paint or both. see attached. now after the fresh wax this is what they look like, they stood out even more, just wondering if this is a common problem with the Stinger paint, aside from the chipping issues I've seen here
Oh, I would be pissed! Show the dealership and if they wont do anything call Kia premium service,
855-4-KIA-VIP (855-454-2847)

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Ouch that's crazy.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I don't even drive on the freeway, I only drive on city streets. I've had my car going on 4 an a half months and have 1600 miles an there's a chip on the right side front bumper right next to the air cooler for front wheel. There is No dent from a rock hitting it, its just a chip and now I have a black speck on my bumper. My last kia optima sx I drove for 4 years on the freeway and from Washington state to Arizona an the paint did not chip like that on the bumper, it dented the bumper. You could feel it with your finger, the one on my stinger you can't feel anything but the paint being gone. I will get some pictures up soon.....

Kronos83

Reactions
Well I took it in yesterday, and they ordered replacement parts, no questions asked

Kronos83

Reactions
Just the two plastic guards, everything else looks great

Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Audi A4
This concerns me as I am thinking about pulling the trigger (soon) on a GT2. I have never owned a Korean car but have been around car folks long enough to hear about the QC issues. I would hope Kia is honoring the warranty on these. Tough when it is on the front bumper as it can be argued from road debris but on the roof?
As a rule I have always added clear bra/xpel to all my cars shortly after purchase and I can testify it does the job great. Are the issues mainly around the launch '18 models or is it happening with the '19s too?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
This concerns me as I am thinking about pulling the trigger (soon) on a GT2. I have never owned a Korean car but have been around car folks long enough to hear about the QC issues. I would hope Kia is honoring the warranty on these. Tough when it is on the front bumper as it can be argued from road debris but on the roof?
As a rule I have always added clear bra/xpel to all my cars shortly after purchase and I can testify it does the job great. Are the issues mainly around the launch '18 models or is it happening with the '19s too?
It's really isolated and doesn't happen with everyone. if you add clear bra you'll be fine.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Get the clear bra installed on the car as soon as you buy it, I waited 4 an a half months to install mine an I had a little chip on the left side of my bumper an I never drove on the freeways. It cost my a 100 dollars to fix that tiny chip before I dropped almost a grand on a clear bra, now this is self healing clear bra that's why it was so expensive.

Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Audi A4
It's really isolated and doesn't happen with everyone. if you add clear bra you'll be fine.
That is good to know but from what are you basing that statement from? Has Kia corporate published something to address that?

Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Audi A4
Get the clear bra installed on the car as soon as you buy it, I waited 4 an a half months to install mine an I had a little chip on the left side of my bumper an I never drove on the freeways. It cost my a 100 dollars to fix that tiny chip before I dropped almost a grand on a clear bra, now this is self healing clear bra that's why it was so expensive.
I'm sure I will, no different than the other vehicles I have done. I might go with Xpel on this one.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
That is good to know but from what are you basing that statement from? Has Kia corporate published something to address that?
When I mention the chipping problems to the dealer they say the yellow stinger has that problem, that's all they know or want to say about the issue. I tell them that I help run a stinger forum site an paint chipping or flaking is a big problem with ALL the stinger colors, the paint on the front bumper is only 3 mills thick. Chris71 had his front bumper repainted an the guy that did it was shock on how thin the paint was, so a clear bra will save your front end.