Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who's experienced more than normal paint chips? Share your pictures

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
White is also affected from the paint chip.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Blue paint has been cleared and determined to be problem free.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
My wife's white one and my ceramic silver car have chips at the same place (and atthesame.place as the white one above)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2013 Kia Optima LTD
Blue paint has been cleared and determined to be problem free.
Is that just Atomic/Micro Blue or does it also apply to Deep Chroma Blue

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
My wife's white one and my ceramic silver car have chips at the same place (and atthesame.place as the white one above)

Those are from the headlights hitting the bumper. Kia did not leave enough clearance between the headlights and the bumper so vibrations under normal driving conditions cause the bumper to rub against the edge of the headlight chipping the paint.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
Those are from the headlights hitting the bumper. Kia did not leave enough clearance between the headlights and the bumper so vibrations under normal driving conditions cause the bumper to rub against the edge of the headlight chipping the paint.
So are WE responsible for fixing this? Or should I take it up with the dealership?

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
So are WE responsible for fixing this? Or should I take it up with the dealership?
More than likely you'll be dealing with Kia of Korea as the warranty claim will most likely be high. At the very least it'll be kia of America.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
You can take it to the dealer and ask them to cover the repair. I would also open a case with KIA costumer support

Xhellcat

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger- Premium
Black is affected too.
I had this exact same scratch, down to the bare metal, where the hood meets the windshield just above one of the windshield wipers on my Black Premium. If you lift the windshield wiper away from the windshield it comes into full contact with that part of the hood (and my car was at the dealership during the winter months before I purchased it and likely they lifted the windshield wipers away from the windshields to avoid damage as we had lots of ice and snow during those months). I didn't notice this scratch until I got home. I went back to the dealer and while there was initial hesitancy to repair it, they eventually agreed to correct this under warranty. They had the entire hood repainted and it looked perfect when I got it back. Now I have examples of paint chipping toward the front end (like others are reporting).

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
I had this exact same scratch, down to the bare metal, where the hood meets the windshield just above one of the windshield wipers on my Black Premium. If you lift the windshield wiper away from the windshield it comes into full contact with that part of the hood (and my car was at the dealership during the winter months before I purchased it and likely they lifted the windshield wipers away from the windshields to avoid damage as we had lots of ice and snow during those months). I didn't notice this scratch until I got home. I went back to the dealer and while there was initial hesitancy to repair it, they eventually agreed to correct this under warranty. They had the entire hood repainted and it looked perfect when I got it back. Now I have examples of paint chipping toward the front end (like others are reporting).
Glad you got your dealership to repair it. Mine won't touch it until Kia corporate gives the go ahead.

mattrain

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 bmw x5
Went to the dealer to buy a micro blue Stinger GT2 today but was told that there was a hold on the car from the manufacturer and they couldn't sell it to me.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I posted this in another thread but if you have paint issues keep pressing the dealer. Get the kia consumer service number to report a problem. Not customer service. Consumer. Like consumer affairs. Have them send an email as well from the dealer. I did. I have a microblue gt2 with issues in paint. Right now theres a stop sale on sunset yellow. We need to make all the colors as big of a concern not just the least available color.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/07/kias-stinger-has-a-big-yellow-problem/

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Got a call from Kia consumer affairs this weekend... They seem to have determined that sunset yellow is faulty and have presented options to me to deal with it. The options are pretty good so if you have sunset yellow and it's coming, definitely get consumer affairs involved.

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Got a call from Kia consumer affairs this weekend... They seem to have determined that sunset yellow is faulty and have presented options to me to deal with it. The options are pretty good so if you have sunset yellow and it's coming, definitely get consumer affairs involved.

Glad to hear this, I think this will involve a complete repaint. I'm hoping they'll buy all the SY back and give us new ones.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Hey guys. Found another article this morning in my google feed. 3rd article in less than 12hrs now all involving paint chip recall. This one states no word yet on if US cars are affected. So please if you are in the US and have a Stinger of any color. I implore you to contact your dealership if you havent already or to follow up again with these new articles in hand as public proof that there is a problem and its becoming known. I know alot of dealers say I havent heard anything yet from Kia. But if you bring it to their attention that its becoming reported news they cant ignore to look into it. Again make a fuss with the dealers not just if you have sunset yellow. And lets make this issue of all colors and outside of AUS known. Heres the next article

https://www.leftlanenews.com/kia-australia-recalls-yellow-stingers-to-repaint-them-100904.html

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
I have a small chip on my black one passenger side on the a frame, and it's just 6 days old. I really think we need to make this thread a habit and document the paint issue so that we have proof later on.

OP
B
Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Thread Starter #38
I have a small chip on my black one passenger side on the a frame, and it's just 6 days old. I really think we need to make this thread a habit and document the paint issue so that we have proof later on.
I agree.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Wash the car today and found this! I stay away from truck etc when I drive.

20180811_114400.jpg

It's pretty deep. My 2008 Mitsubishi have better paint quality than this!

Ronontop

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
Hey I have this exact issue I just noticed it what was your resolution? Did you have to pay for the repairs or the dealership handle it ? Thanks