Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Possible fuel gauge issue...

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
I have almost 800 miles on my Stinger and have filled it up a couple times already. Always clicks off just past the full marker.
Today I filled it up and it although I've calculated the amount of gas going in and it SHOULD read as full, the gauge shows I am short more than an 1/8th of a tank (closer to a 1/4 of a tank short).
I tried to put more gas in and it simply won't take anymore.
Anyone have an issue like this?
Thanks in advance!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
No issues to report on my end. Just crossed the 5100 mile mark, gauge has been on point the whole time.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Mine has done that twice, stopped at 1/8th, although it was full. Both times it took about two days but the gauge eventually went all the way to F.

Funny thing, the range counter never changed to reflect a full tank, though; instead it showed what the range would've been if I stopped around 1/8th (in my case, about 180 miles).

Whatever caused it hasn't occurred again.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Two possibilities. One is that I have found some fuel pumps at gas stations that shut off prematurely. The mechanism that activates the auto-shutoff on the pump handle doesn't allow a full fill. Sometimes slowing the flow down manually will enable you to get a full tank.

The other is that most fuel gauges are fed by a float in the fuel tank that is effectively a rheostat that is dependent on a sliding contact along a wound wire. Although unlikely, it is possible that some foreign material may have become lodged or embedded at the "full" position along that wire preventing the sliding contact to make good connection. This is more often seen on older cars in which moisture has accumulated in the tank from thermal cycling and caused a bit of corrosion on the wound wire.

See if it self-heals. If not, get it replaced under warranty. Just make sure you can duplicate the problem for the technicians to analyze.