Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger 2.0 Premium Brakes

ftd

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Hey all, just got a new Stinger 2.0 Premium earlier this week, everything has been great except the brakes feel a little "weak" when I needed to do a harder stop than usual (hitting a red light for example)

Minor braking at highway speeds feels okay (say braking from 80 mph to 50mph)
It's just that when I need to come to a complete stop, when I press on the brake pedal, the first "bite" feels weak (if that makes any sense). Even though I press the brake pedal hard, it doesn't feel too effective when going from 50/60 to 20/30 mph and sort of ruins my confidence when I need to brake harder. Braking the last 20/30 mph feels fine though.

Has anyone else had this feeling with the 2.0 brakes?

Also, does anyone know what brakes are on the 2.0? Tried to look through the wheel, all I saw on the caliper was some tiny Kia/Hyundai branding, nothing else. I'm wondering if they need break in... I'm already at over 300 miles though.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Too late to properly "bed-in" the brakes... But if it was critical, KIA would do it already before delivering every new car, so I don't think that is your issue.

Is it possible the anti-skid is supressing stopping power (iminent lock up) to maintain control and you don't notice it? Older cars would 'pulse' the brake pedal and let you know it was in panic mode...

Ask to drive another similar car at the dealership (same road/same braking) to compare.

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
My brakes work fine. If you're concern have the dealer check it out.

OP
F

ftd

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Thread Starter #4
Too late to properly "bed-in" the brakes... But if it was critical, KIA would do it already before delivering every new car, so I don't think that is your issue.

Is it possible the anti-skid is supressing stopping power (iminent lock up) to maintain control and you don't notice it? Older cars would 'pulse' the brake pedal and let you know it was in panic mode...

Ask to drive another similar car at the dealership (same road/same braking) to compare.

I realized that the brakes feel the worst right after first startup, even though it's not cold where I live and I park inside a garage (its around 60 degrees F here). I took them on some empty roads in the evening today and did some harder braking, and after warming them up like this, the brake pedal did seem to feel more normal under harder braking circumstances.

I'm not talking about super hard braking here with the ABS kicking in, just doing a little more aggressive braking than usual.

I'm not sure if this is indicative of still needing break-in, or some other issue. Or maybe they are just meant to be this way and need warm up (although all my previous cars had brakes feeling fine right from the get go)

I'm going to see if another 100 miles or so will make them feel better and if not take them into the dealer to compare

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Well, it is not a break-in period. But i agree, if it doesn't get better - get it checked.
None of the reviews i have seen mention this (what you posted).

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Another 2.0 owner here with zero braking issues. I agree with others to have it checked out or ask your dealer to test drive another 2.0 to see if you are experiencing the same issues.