Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Chassis Flexing

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
Hi All. When I pull in driveways and the chassis gets torqued (one corner wheel goes up for example) I hear the door and the sunroof 'move'. Not really a creak or rattle or squeak. More just relative motion between the door and the weatherstripping and the roof glass and the weatherstripping.
I'm forgiving the chassis is moving due to a hatchback and a big sunroof and a new design. But really that should not be allowed. Is anybody else sensing that twisting in the chassis and have you gone to the dealer about it?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
Hi All. When I pull in driveways and the chassis gets torqued (one corner wheel goes up for example) I hear the door and the sunroof 'move'. Not really a creak or rattle or squeak. More just relative motion between the door and the weatherstripping and the roof glass and the weatherstripping.
I'm forgiving the chassis is moving due to a hatchback and a big sunroof and a new design. But really that should not be allowed. Is anybody else sensing that twisting in the chassis and have you gone to the dealer about it?
Yep.. I have a really steep driveway and I have felt/heard the same thing. My 2017 Camaro is rock solid in the exact same situation.

I'll say that our weather stripping and sunroof liner are prone to making noises, especially after a lot of rain (in my experience), so it may be that the chassis is flexing less than 1mm. No way to know. In every other driving situation, the chassis feels solid as a rock.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Yes I can hear my chassis flexing whenever I'm driving into parking garages with steep ramps.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I can't link to the website with the braces. But that's the ticket. Please double check the link as i'd like to look into those braces.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
Looking at the pics in that link, I have serious doubts that those would do anything to reduce twisting of the chassis, which is what is being caused by traversing something at a steep angle.

If you hit your driveway dead on, I doubt you hear creaking.

I?m not sure what those are for, but it ain?t this problem.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
[MENTION=405]ihatecats78[/MENTION], I agree now that I see the braces. They are for stiffening in a horizontal plane. I need a removable bulkhead behind the rear seat to create box section in the vertical plane. What I see at Ultra Racing does not have a vertical box or beam section to speak of. Only the tube height. Too bad. Let's keep an eye out for a trunk pass through brace. :)

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Saw this on kbb.com

Any chance you have a pre-production model?

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2018-kia-stinger-gt-ownership-review/2100005291/

????
Creaks and Squeaks Eliminated with a new Headliner

by Michael Harley on April 27, 2018

Current Odometer: 8,274 miles
Latest MPG: 21.83 mpg
Lifetime MPG: 21.52 mpg
Maintenance/Service Costs: $4.50
Time out of Service: 0 days

I had been noting a strange creak (squeak?) from the Stinger's headliner each time I turned into a driveway or drove over a speedbump. I mentioned this to Kia, who replied that they had never heard of anything similar ? they asked to see the vehicle. Upon further inspection, it was determined that our vehicle was ?pre-production,? meaning it wasn't equipped with the same headliner as the vehicles in today's showrooms. Long story short, Kia kept the vehicle for 16 days and replaced the headliner. This apparently worked, as the vehicle is now as tight as a drum ? no creaks or squeaks evident anywhere.

While they were swapping headliners, Kia lent us a standard Stinger GT, with a sticker price nearly $10,000 lower. While we missed many of the creature comforts from our GT2 (cooled seats, upgraded audio, and premium seats), the standard GT is a performance bargain ? every bit as enjoyable to drive.