Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Would the Kia Stinger see a second generation?

Would the Kia Stinger see a second generation?

• Yes

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
How many y'all think the Kia Stinger would last longer than one generation?

Discuss and tell us what you think?

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
Since I do not have permissions to start a new thread (pretty sure I had it before, now I don't... not sure why...), I'll throw in my news here:

I was commenting on an auto site regarding the Stinger, and a few replies back and forth between me and another, and he said Kia is discussing killing off the base 2.0L Stinger for 2019. He also said there is discussion as to whether or not to eliminate a GT version also.

The base 2.0L makes a lot of sense. Kia thought the 2.0L was going to sell roughly 65/35 over the GT versions. But reality in sales has shown the sell through to be nearly inverted. Kia's had to put on a $299 lease promo to move it's base models, and if they had not, sales of the 2.0L's may be even worse...

Making the Premium their premier 2.0L and only version makes sense.

Looking at the GT lineup, the GT2 seems to be selling very well. It would seem Kia would leave that model alone entirely. The GT and GT1 is another story...

If Kia is eliminating a GT model (or talking about it - decision needs to be made by about mid-June...), the question would be whether people are upgrading to the GT to GT1 in great fashion or from the GT1 to GT2?

Everything I've read seems to trend towards people considering the GT1 or GT2 are - mostly - springing for the GT2. It isn't much more and why not just go all in, get the heads up display, has the Drive Wise, LSD, everything... Again, the GT2 seems to be selling well which lends credence to this idea.

The GT? If it is selling at all, it's likely to folks like me. That is, pressing the $$$ figure pedal on the budget, and creature comforts vs performance, we want the performance.

Considering 2019, if Kia took a few of the GT1 features (auto-dimming side mirrors, 8" display and color gauge cluster display), along with blind spot, and held the price, the GT would be pretty attractive.

The GT could then get the all-new Drive Wise package, which could include 360? camera, heated/cooled seats, Sun-roof, heads up display, etc... The GT just gets a wee bit more stuff. But the $2k Drive Wise package adds a bit more to the table, but not quite as much as the GT1.

This provides a bigger split between GT and GT2, a bit more for each car (as the GT2 would have 360? camera standard now, etc...).

The GT2's sales volume isn't going to really uptick. At $52,xxx it's staying put. But how to maximize GT or GT1 sales, by eliminating one and moving around the configuration, that's the trick.

If Kia is concerned with selling MORE GT version overall, they'll eliminate the GT1 and add some goodies into the GT with a more robust Drive Wise package.

However, if Kia is concerned with more margin and fewer sales, then they'll eliminate the GT, and Provide the GT1 with more goodies, and a newly configured Drive Wise package.

If Kia move this direction, sadly, that moves me out of the market, to which I'll stay Mazda and go with the 2018 Mazda6. Not much different on the outside compared to my 2014 Mazda6, but vastly different on the interior (Signature series is luxury all the way), and the new 250hp turbo is a nice move north.

Truth be told, I'd rather stick to my flawless Mazda brand with the 250hp variant, vs a Kia Stinger 2.0 Premium.

If I get a Stinger it's going to be a 3.3l V6 - period. But if Kia mixes it up to where I cannot afford it, then I'll save some bank and roll with my flawless Mazda brand once more.

You listening Kia?! ; )

ScottM

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
[MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION]... you say you have a "flawless" Mazda, but you'd consider moving to a Stinger if what you think will happen, doesn't happen (I think I got that right). I say you stick with your flawless ride and not worry about the "what ifs" and "could bes" of the Stinger. It'll save you a lot of time. [thumb]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
How many y'all think the Kia Stinger would last longer than one generation?

Discuss and tell us what you think?
Without question.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
[MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION]... you say you have a "flawless" Mazda, but you'd consider moving to a Stinger if what you think will happen, doesn't happen (I think I got that right). I say you stick with your flawless ride and not worry about the "what ifs" and "could bes" of the Stinger. It'll save you a lot of time. [thumb]
Well, I drove the Stinger 2.0L Premium back in early December. I was pretty impressed by the pickup and that it didn't feel heavy and sloth-like, much like my previous 2006 Nissan Maxima (great engine, but that was about it!). It felt really solid and I thought that might be my next car...

Then in early January I test drove a GT just for fun. I wanted to see what that was like. Would there be a big difference or yes, but no big deal? Ha! Now I'm all about the GT 100%. So many 250hp-range cars to choose from, but want something beyond a Honda Accord, etc...

Thus, the Stinger GT models really take it to an entirely different level for me. That said, if I do settle on another standard mid-sized family sedan, I'll likely stay Mazda. It's fairly sporty, but the new interior is just incredible, and it's QUIET (finally!!! My 2014 is quite loud!). It does have power (2018 250hp Mazda6), but it is no Stinger or any RWD rocket ship for that matter.

Are you and MurlantoR telling me stay away from Kia because it will not have the "flawless" track record I've experienced with Mazda?...

ScottM

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Well, I drove the Stinger 2.0L Premium back in early December. I was pretty impressed by the pickup and that it didn't feel heavy and sloth-like, much like my previous 2006 Nissan Maxima (great engine, but that was about it!). It felt really solid and I thought that might be my next car...

Then in early January I test drove a GT just for fun. I wanted to see what that was like. Would there be a big difference or yes, but no big deal? Ha! Now I'm all about the GT 100%. So many 250hp-range cars to choose from, but want something beyond a Honda Accord, etc...

Thus, the Stinger GT models really take it to an entirely different level for me. That said, if I do settle on another standard mid-sized family sedan, I'll likely stay Mazda. It's fairly sporty, but the new interior is just incredible, and it's QUIET (finally!!! My 2014 is quite loud!). It does have power (2018 250hp Mazda6), but it is no Stinger or any RWD rocket ship for that matter.

Are you and MurlantoR telling me stay away from Kia because it will not have the "flawless" track record I've experienced with Mazda?...
Me? I'm just saying that you seem to be happy with your mazda and it appears in your post above that you are waiting/looking for a reason to not like the Stinger (as in; ifs/buts). That's just my take. I mean, if you're happy with your brand...why research others? It's a waste of time for you...I'd think?

For me, my GT2 has exactly what I want and nothing else compares. BUT again... that's for me. [twothumb]

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Me? I'm just saying that you seem to be happy with your mazda and it appears in your post above that you are waiting/looking for a reason to not like the Stinger (as in; ifs/buts). That's just my take. I mean, if you're happy with your brand...why research others? It's a waste of time for you...I'd think?

For me, my GT2 has exactly what I want and nothing else compares. BUT again... that's for me. [twothumb]
Agreed! I?m a GT2 man through and through. And when the develop a GT3 RS version, count me in !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Second and maybe third gen.[^]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's

I don't remember saying anything about the quality. To that note, I'd argue that based on every consumers report and JD Powers study done in the last 5 years all show that a Kia is actually going to be more reliable than a Mazda.

Aside from that, I was simply answering the title of the thread that asked about there being a 2nd gen Stinger. To that I answered "Without Question!"

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
I don't remember saying anything about the quality. To that note, I'd argue that based on every consumers report and JD Powers study done in the last 5 years all show that a Kia is actually going to be more reliable than a Mazda.

Aside from that, I was simply answering the title of the thread that asked about there being a 2nd gen Stinger. To that I answered "Without Question!"
Ah, gotcha. Thanks! And yes, very much aware of JD Power's initial quality reports (IMHO Kia needs to do a much better job advertising that - letting it go to waste far too much. Their MARCOM group needs to know consumer massively value JD)...

That said, I know my 2014 Mazda6 w/103k miles on it already has truly been awesome. Running like it's 5k miles in. Just amazing. I ALSO know that at the time it was built, it was put together in Hiroshima, Japan, and the engine and transmission was also built 100% in Japan... Fast Forward to today and Mazda is building the Skyactiv 6-speed transmissions in, what Malaysia or the Philippines (I recall it was a very low-cost country), and other parts made in Mexico and elsewhere... Sorry, but if you've ever toured facilities in Japan and in China or elsewhere, you'll quickly understand it matters not that it's for Mazda or Toyota or, or, or... there WILL be drop-off in quality. That's just the way it goes with culture and startup issues when spinning up new factories in new regions etc...

Thus, I question whether the next Mazda I purchase ("if" I do) would be the same quality as my current 2014 - and I would guess not. But wow, the interior is just fantastic now-a-days. Again, wow... Almost reminds me of the new QX50 interior (awesome).

That said, let's see if Kia will discover everyone in the Pac NW does now want AWD no matter what!? Ugh... Any RWD GT's and GT1's are just gone. Not to be had, anywhere... Ugh... But I digress...

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive

I was just thinking the comments were about Kia not being a quality brand - stick with the Mazda brand then. But that's not what anyone was saying.

Yes, so many family members, including me, own Mazda's and love them. That said, my vehicle history has been pony/sport wanna-be sedans, etc... Not true power and performance. Never wanted to get into German costs and repairs, etc... Stinger ticks all my boxes. Just saving now.

Another Mazda6 is my second choice. The skins, it's still all the same, handling about the same, FWD, etc... After driving a Stinger GT, I'm sold.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I sure hope there will be a second gen Stinger and I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
...a GT3 RS version, count me in !
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now you're talking! Roll cage, carbon brakes, wing in the back, active aero, it's a recipe for a sub-7:30 Nurburgring time [rockon]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I wanna know who the one dude is that voted NO...? LOL

ScottM

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
How do you know it's a dude?! Dude. [hihi]

But, yeah me too!

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Porsche Cayman S
It depends how many people buy them... so lets support car manufacturers like Kia that are making enthusiast cars and not just boring soccer mom cars like the Camry

Last edited:

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
It depends how many people buy them... so lets support car manufacturers like Kia that are making enthusiast cars and not just boding soccer mom cars like the Camry
Very true.[biggrin]